Eastern Electric DAC

Gopher

Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #620 on: 6 May 2010, 12:40 am »
I've been listening to the Siemens Silverplates for a few days now and they aren't really doing it for me yet.  I haven't given up and will let them burn for a few more days as I didn't like the cv4003s until they were used for about a week straight. 

I'm very curious about those Brimar 13D5s.  I've heard mixed things about their reliability, but most seem to like their sound for preamps.  Anyone try one in the EE?

Wayne1

« Reply #621 on: 6 May 2010, 01:56 am »
I'm very curious about those Brimar 13D5s.  I've heard mixed things about their reliability, but most seem to like their sound for preamps.  Anyone try one in the EE?

Umm, yes.

I have been running a Brimar 13D5 in the EE DAC I recently received from Bill.

With the NE5532 in the I/V slot, I liked the Brimar over the stock tube and a JAS GE 5814 I had on hand. I also like it with an OPA2134 opamp.. However, with Paul's preferred dual opamp, I liked the 5814.

The tube and I/V opamp are very synergistic.  You can mix and match all day to get a certain sound. The sound of the tube will also change with some of the circuit mods I am doing. Lots of fun  :D

mumford

USB to I2S 24bit/192Khz
« Reply #622 on: 9 May 2010, 04:39 am »
Just a head-up on a group buy.  This 50 Euro device can be a great upgrade for our EE Dac.  I am pretty sure that the street price for a M2Tech USB to I2S converter is around $150.  So the group buy price is around half.  Please note that a little bit of DIY skills is required, as these DIY guys want a converter with external power supplies.  Tossing in a couple Paul Haynes power regs, you may be looking at the best converter in the market today.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/166354-hiface-usb-i2s-24bit-192khz.html

Here is a link to the 6moon review
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/m2tech/hiface.html

Disclosure:  I am in for 1.

Jon L

Re: USB to I2S 24bit/192Khz
« Reply #623 on: 9 May 2010, 05:51 pm »
M2Tech USB to I2S converter is around $150. 

IMO it's silly having to buy another $150 usb-spdif converter like M2Tech converter for your USB DAC.  Then again, I understand your quandry, wishing your USB DAC came with decent asynchronous USB input to begin with  :duh:

Gopher

« Reply #624 on: 10 May 2010, 12:51 am »
I take it you went another direction, Jon?

Asynch would be nice, but I don't know how many users would really use it.  I know I am content to use a squeezebox device as a transport.

A little off topic, but if a USB DAC is asynchronious, does that negate all of the internal noise of the computer and remove the need for passive cooling/solid state drives?

mumford

« Reply #625 on: 10 May 2010, 03:41 am »
I have both a squeezebox duet and a htpc connected to the EE Dac. but the duet would not do higher bit rates.  For 50 euro, it is less than some of you guys spent on one, not a pair, RCA cable, so it is a really cheap upgrade and not much down side risk.

For those who are thinking of spending the money, please read the pdf design file in question (post #3 of thread), as we are talking about an OEM custom product, not the stick commonly available at the retail outlets.

Jon L

« Reply #626 on: 10 May 2010, 05:55 am »

A little off topic, but if a USB DAC is asynchronious, does that negate all of the internal noise of the computer and remove the need for passive cooling/solid state drives?

USB asynchronicity does not have anything to do with isolation from computer noise or removing need for passive cooling/quiet drives.  These things are desirable for PC audio in general, but asynchronous USB does not solve them at all, nor is it meant to. 

Asynchronous USB does mean the DAC controls the data flow from the computer transport and is able to use a local low-jitter masterclock in the DAC, resulting in low jitter.  In non-asynchronous (Adaptive) mode, computer transport controls the data flow and the DAC is doomed to derive the master audio clock from a frequency synthesizer, which is high in jitter. 

Gopher

« Reply #627 on: 13 May 2010, 01:18 am »
I must be the odd duck here, because I think I'm preferring the CV4003 to the Siemens Silverplates.  It's probably just a synergy thing, but the extra warmth and body lends a good bit to musicality.  I'll see what further burn in does as they are NOS, but we aren't there just yet.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #628 on: 13 May 2010, 01:31 am »
I must be the odd duck here, because I think I'm preferring the CV4003 to the Siemens Silverplates.  It's probably just a synergy thing, but the extra warmth and body lends a good bit to musicality.  I'll see what further burn in does as they are NOS, but we aren't there just yet.

You are not alone with your thoughts of the CV4003.  :thumb:

This Dac and it's tube are on loan but I'm sure it's owner is reading this thread, that's the the recommendation Joe.  :thumb:  It's been hit/miss with the 2 Siemens tubes I have on hand. But this Siemens E82CC CV4003 is simply blowing me away.  :duh:  It has all the atttributes of the Mullard but it's clearer, more balanced with sparkling highs and a nice taut bass, and it still retains the Mullard's 3D sound stage depth. I've had it playing 13 hours now I'm going to be hard pressed to shut her down when the NCAA Tourney starts at 6pm.  :lol:  This EE Dac has been a pleasure to demo.  :dance:

Oh, did I mention I'm using Joe's Kaplan power cord to good effect on the EE dac? I'll be returning it to you April 24 at Emil's RAVE.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Gopher

« Reply #629 on: 13 May 2010, 05:28 pm »
Its very nice, I just feel the additional warmth is benefiting my system.  My system errs to the more resolving, less warm side.

Levi

« Reply #630 on: 13 May 2010, 05:45 pm »
+1

Agreed!

Its very nice, I just feel the additional warmth is benefiting my system.  My system errs to the more resolving, less warm side.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #631 on: 13 May 2010, 06:14 pm »

That's odd.  In my case, I thought the Siemens Silver Plates are warmer vs. the CV4003 leaner and meaner (cleaner mostly, so some would say leaner!).  I actually was sensing the CV4003 the other day to be a bit too lean for my taste in the upper mids area.  For the first time, it didn't "sit" right for me.  The Silver Plates have more in the lower bass area I thought.

May be, it's synergy again? :scratch:  Don't know if it's that I've gotten used to the Silver Plates, it's not so magical as the first sitting.  That's what's wrong with most audio nuts? :duh: :eyebrows:

Gopher

« Reply #632 on: 13 May 2010, 06:36 pm »
Now I'm thoroughly confused.  I guess I'd better plug the Siemens back in and give it more time...

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #633 on: 13 May 2010, 06:45 pm »
I tried the silver plates & cv4003.  To me in my system the 1957 Mullard smooth long plate is by far the best.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #634 on: 13 May 2010, 07:00 pm »
I have a bunch of tubes in this family from previous preamp rolling exercises so I am hoping there is something in my treasure chest that works w/o having to start another tedious search.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #635 on: 13 May 2010, 10:50 pm »
I have a bunch of tubes in this family from previous preamp rolling exercises so I am hoping there is something in my treasure chest that works w/o having to start another tedious search.

They all work, now it is just a matter of personal taste.
 Some folks don't like to hear or have to decipher all the options of which tubes or op-amps to use. They would prefer a plug and play DAC.Which in reality the MiniMax DAC is. Just because you can play around with the  different options doesn't mean you have too.It is just advantageous to allow the user the possibility.I happen to be in the camp of being able to tweek to my hearts content. :inlove:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #636 on: 13 May 2010, 10:55 pm »
They all work, now it is just a matter of personal taste.

I happen to be in the camp of being able to tweek to my hearts content. :inlove:

Here here!  :beer:

Cheers,
Robin

NotoriousBIG_PJ

« Reply #637 on: 14 May 2010, 04:09 pm »
Theres 100's of nos 12au7 tubes to choose from. Why stop at mullard vs. silver plate. :P

Biggie.

John151

« Reply #638 on: 14 May 2010, 04:26 pm »
I am amazed by how responsive the EE DAC is to tube rolling.  Tube rolling in my other audio gear has not demonstrated this much of a sound difference between tubes. Also, I find that the 12AU7 tubes that work best in the EE Dac aren't a good fit for my PreAmp (Candella), and vice versa.  Currently, my favorite configuration is RCA black plates in the Pre-Amp, and a Siemens in the EE DAC.  I tried a set up with all Siemens tubes (3 in total) and it sounded awful.  Also, Mullards that sound great in the PreAmp, are way too "tubey" in the EE Dac. 

While I am baffled by some of my findings, I have enjoyed the process immensely, and plan to re-evaluate each tube several times in the coming months/years to make sure my findings are accurate.  Its all good.  :thumb:

PeteG

« Reply #639 on: 14 May 2010, 05:22 pm »
I also like the fact you only need one tube, don’t have to worry about matched pairs.