Eastern Electric DAC

Levi

Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #560 on: 22 Apr 2010, 02:49 am »
I have no issues with the gain as well.  If anything, I want more S/N.

mjosef

« Reply #561 on: 22 Apr 2010, 03:01 am »
Or if you think you can do as good a job with a needle-nose pliers  :nono: you are mistaken so don't even try it! :nono: :lol:

I will have to disagree with that statement...while the specific tool will make the process foolproof (or just about), judicious use of a regular snub nose plier can accomplish the same...of course the puller will need to have the right touch, I just changed out 3 OpAmps in my Marchand crossover...no bend pins, no damage to the pulled ICs....just beautiful sweet sounds...   :dance:

roscoeiii

« Reply #562 on: 22 Apr 2010, 03:16 am »
I just used the back of a hammer head to pry them op-amps out. Works pretty well for nails too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #563 on: 22 Apr 2010, 03:30 am »
I will have to disagree with that statement...while the specific tool will make the process foolproof (or just about), judicious use of a regular snub nose plier can accomplish the same...of course the puller will need to have the right touch, I just changed out 3 OpAmps in my Marchand crossover...no bend pins, no damage to the pulled ICs....just beautiful sweet sounds...   :dance:

I'll send you the units to repair then! :thumb: :lol: Just because you can pick up a pliers doesn't mean your certified.

Mjosef, I'm not trying to slam you so please don't take it that way. I just want to warn folks that just because you think you can do it doesn't mean you should necessarily try.

Please, if you haven't performed any work on electronic components this is not the piece to try and dabble into the foray of modifications.Please contact either Wayne at Bolder Cable as I know he is borderline genius with circuits or even Paul Kaplan from Kaplan Cables although I think Paul isn't thinking about doing the extensive mods that Wayne might have in mind.It is worth the small expense to have it done correctly IMHO.

Kindest Regards,
 Bill

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #564 on: 22 Apr 2010, 03:31 am »
I just used the back of a hammer head to pry them op-amps out. Works pretty well for nails too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:rotflmao:

Occam

« Reply #565 on: 22 Apr 2010, 03:33 am »
For both extraction and insertion of opamps, I personally prefer chopsticks. :P

Levi

« Reply #566 on: 22 Apr 2010, 03:42 am »
Actually, Paul has several tricks up his sleeves.  ;)

Don't mind him, he is teasing.

mjosef

« Reply #567 on: 22 Apr 2010, 03:46 am »
Please, if you haven't performed any work on electronic components this is not the piece to try and dabble into the foray of modifications.Please contact either Wayne at Bolder Cable as I know he is borderline genius with circuits or even Paul Kaplan from Kaplan Cables although I think Paul isn't thinking about doing the extensive mods that Wayne might have in mind.It is worth the small expense to have it done correctly IMHO.

Tru dat Bill...Wayne is a good guy, have had dealings with him in the past, a straight shooter.
As for Paul... :roll: , he bends bullets around objects.  :lol:

John151

« Reply #568 on: 22 Apr 2010, 05:08 am »

AS BNC is a vastly superior connector standard, shouldn't you mod your source instead?

BNC connectors are new to me, used them once on a computer monitor, but never for audio.  Perhaps I need to rethink this.....  But I am still skeptical of sound improvements for digital signals either the bits make it in tact, or they don't.  There can be no change of the bits or the sound, just drop outs (I have a cheapie optical cable that introduces drop outs, never had a problem with a coax)   :scratch:
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2010, 11:56 am by John151 »

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #569 on: 22 Apr 2010, 09:36 am »

The choppies must be ivory ones, and not cheapie bamboo. :lol:

SET Man

« Reply #570 on: 22 Apr 2010, 03:26 pm »
BNC connectors are new to me, used them once on a computer monitor, but never for audio.  Perhaps I need to rethink this.....  But I am still skeptical of sound improvements for digital signals either the bits make it in tact, or they don't.  There can be no change of the bits or the sound, just drop outs (I have a cheapie optical cable that introduces drop outs, never had a problem with a coax)   :scratch:

Hey!

BNC is a much preferred connection over the RCA for digital audio. I'm actually surprised that BNC is not used more. :D

I have the same problem as you with my new DAC of which except BNC and Toslink only. So, I moded my source the Sony SACD/CD changer from the RCA to BNC. Works fine so far when I listen to it for the first time last time... not sure if it was my imagination or what but I feel that there is more detail and etc.  :scratch:

Talking about digi-cable. I know it sound crazy but they all do sound different too. You'll be surprised of what a good sounding digi-cable can sound in your system. :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #571 on: 22 Apr 2010, 04:16 pm »
I have to agree with your there Set Man.  Your home made cable surely made a great improvement in Paul K's system.  :thumb:

Hey!

BNC is a much preferred connection over the RCA for digital audio. I'm actually surprised that BNC is not used more. :D

I have the same problem as you with my new DAC of which except BNC and Toslink only. So, I moded my source the Sony SACD/CD changer from the RCA to BNC. Works fine so far when I listen to it for the first time last time... not sure if it was my imagination or what but I feel that there is more detail and etc.  :scratch:

Talking about digi-cable. I know it sound crazy but they all do sound different too. You'll be surprised of what a good sounding digi-cable can sound in your system. :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #572 on: 26 Apr 2010, 11:13 pm »
Hi Shek,

I just got back from Paul K (Occam) and we changed 4x OPAMPS in the DAC.  I think I have the sound that you are looking for.  You may want to talk to Paul about doing the upgrade for your EE DAC.  I love what the OPAMPs upgrade did for the imaging.  It has even better image focus and there seem to have more "air".  That bass!  The SS circuit is also competing with the tube sound. 

Thanks to Paul and Martin.  :thumb:

--Levi

Talk about money, I just thought of this.  I am glad I got this EE DAC.  I was supposed to get an Audio Note, just a kit even.  That would likely have cost me $2K.  Glad that the dealer didn't come through for me, so I saved a big bundle $$$  :lol:.  I should have thanked him for not doing me the service.  So after researching, and some people's + comments on the Sabre chip, I took a chance on the EE DAC.  It paid off huge!  :eyebrows:.  The DAC is now spinning out Bach's violin concertos as I type, with the Mullard CV4003 in the belly.   Wonderful! Wonderful!  What's that, a Jonny Mathis hit!  :drool:

roscoeiii

« Reply #573 on: 26 Apr 2010, 11:17 pm »
Hi Levi (or Occam),

Can you comment on the different op-amps that you tried, and how each affected the sound?

rpf

« Reply #574 on: 26 Apr 2010, 11:18 pm »
Hi Shek,

I just got back from Paul K (Occam) and we changed 4x OPAMPS in the DAC.  I think I have the sound that you are looking for.  You may want to talk to Paul about doing the upgrade for your EE DAC.  I love what the OPAMPs upgrade did for the imaging.  It has even better image focus and there seem to have more "air".  That bass!  The SS circuit is also competing with the tube sound. 

Thanks to Paul and Martin.  :thumb:

--Levi

Hey Levi, sounds good. Now you're going to have to come back for a rematch!  :lol:   :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #575 on: 27 Apr 2010, 12:17 am »
Hi Levi (or Occam),

Can you comment on the different op-amps that you tried, and how each affected the sound?

Only Paul would know.

@Rob,

Let's do it when you get your speaker cables.

Occam

« Reply #576 on: 27 Apr 2010, 05:11 am »
Damn you Levi!  Now I have to get me one of them purty EE dacs....
But I do appreciate the opportunity to evaluate the EE dac for its mod potential, without having to potentially blow up my own kit.
Now if I can just figure out where those electrolytic coupling caps are on the solid state output stage, I can bypass them for increased groovyness.

-Paul

Jon L

« Reply #577 on: 27 Apr 2010, 05:14 am »
Hi Shek,

I just got back from Paul K (Occam) and we changed 4x OPAMPS in the DAC.

Which opamps were changed to what?  (single or dual opamps).  Were they in I/V stage and/or output stage? 

Occam

« Reply #578 on: 27 Apr 2010, 05:38 am »
Which opamps were changed to what?  (single or dual opamps).  Were they in I/V stage and/or output stage?

Both pairs of opamps were changed out, the pair of singles NE5534 used for I/V (current to voltage conversion) as well as the dual opamps, NE5532 used in the solid state output stage. IMO, Alex chose those chips to provide excellent sound at his price point, but generously provided sockets for those cost constrained chips to allow easy swaps for appropriate (by both objective and subjective measures) upgrade chips. I'm not disclosing those chips at this point, as I've more experimentation to do when I get my own dac. But I do know this, the EE dac has great 'bones'.

Regards,
Paul

Jon L

« Reply #579 on: 27 Apr 2010, 06:10 am »
Both pairs of opamps were changed out, the pair of singles NE5534 used for I/V (current to voltage conversion) as well as the dual opamps, NE5532 used in the solid state output stage.

Pretty standard stock opamps.. 
I would personally immediately move to OPA627 for singles, as I love them for I/V.  Duals become somewhat taste-dependent but I have had great luck using AD8066 on SOIC to DIP adapters in digital gear, especially after OPA627 in I/V  :thumb:  Of course, one can always go with the National or Linear Tech. 

The newer OPA827 or OPA2827 seem quite interesting on paper also..