Eastern Electric DAC

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #500 on: 10 Apr 2010, 06:33 pm »
Excellent Shek.  The tube to beat is a Mullard CV4003.  :)

Ha, Levi, I had some idle time just now because of plan changes for the day.  I sneaked in a round with Bill's Valvo ECC82 E80CC.  After 15 warm-up, I popped in my favorite recording, again, Maria Pires's Chopin 2nd Piano Concerto, 2nd movement, Larghetto (throwing fancy words now!).  Main reason: I am most familiar and enamored with the piano sound.

My immediate perception - darned same sound like the NOS 1543 DAC I had, Shek.... How's that?  The mids are as usual, sweet, with a shine.  Better yet, the mids and lows are "MORE" supple than the CV4003 Mullard.  But.... because of the heavier mids and lows, the Valvo's sound seemed a tad cloudy, less sharp/clear, if you will.  AND, because of that, the sense of proportionality between the lower spectrum and the treble seemed to indicate that it's less extended at the top.  But.... I think it's mainly because the sound with the Valvo, as a result, seemed "softer".

Is it my NEW top dog (vs. the Mullard CV4003, that is!)?  Hmmmmm, tough call.  I sorely missed the NOS Shek DAC's sweetness, so this Valvo really perked up my ears.  I'm hard-pressed.  Now, all I know is pray that the CV4003 will darken a little more, give me more shine in the sound...... If you press me hard to "choose", I'd run with the Valvo.  May be, I'll apply more Kontak to clean the pins more, and the sound will come cleaner and a little clearer, less soft......?????? :duh:, which would be perrrrrrrrfect for me.

The 3-dimensionality with the Valvo is even more amazing.  Should I use "even" even?  I did not A-B with the CV4003, but I seem to note that with the Valvo the stage is wider and deeper.  But.... the wide-deep sense of the EE DAC seems universal with the various tubes I put in.  So, its virtue may be attributed to the Sabre chip really.  No matter what, I just love it.  If my recollection (with the CV4003) is correct (don't trust one's memory too much though! :lol:), with the wider/better soundstage under the Valvo because the warmth of the sound, the CV4003 definitely seems cleaner and leaner.  Meaner too?

This is Chapter 1, out of a possible 5, since I now have 5 premium tubes to roll.   I might add, it's a pain to yank the tubes out from behind the EE DAC.n I had to "rock" the tube very, very slowly and carefully, fearing I'd break something, as they are tightly tripped.  This Valvo is taller, so I suppose my fingers will not hurt as much pulling it out (those shortie ones will pose a more serious problem).  But.... with the intoxicating sweetness and warmth, the pain/ache on the fingers is short-lived. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :eyebrows:
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2010, 02:57 am by goldlizsts »

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #501 on: 10 Apr 2010, 07:01 pm »
Shek,

The Valvo you are speaking of I believe is the Valvo pinched waist D getter E80CC, not a ECC82.In reality it is in a Valvo box but I believe all the E80CC's tubes were made by Amperex in the Holland factory and companies just relabled them ie..Telefunken, Mullard.
 Tungsram also made a E80CC but I think that is it.

Just wanted to have you check and maybe verify the Valvo tube that your speaking of.

Thanks,
 Bill

Levi

« Reply #502 on: 10 Apr 2010, 11:14 pm »
Thanks for the quick review of the tubes Shek. 

I find it easier to change tubes if you remove the top.  Your fingers will then have access from the top. 

SET Man

« Reply #503 on: 10 Apr 2010, 11:29 pm »
 I sorely missed the NOS Shek DAC's sweetness, ...

Hey!

You've mentioned this couple of times already. Why did you sell the Shek DAC at the first place?

So, how many DACs have you gone through since you sold the Shek DAC?

You should have kept the Shek DAC.

Anyway, good luck.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #504 on: 11 Apr 2010, 12:40 am »
As big as my hands are and I had no issues whatsoever with the EE Dac tube rolling. I was able to wiggle 2 fingers down towards the base of the tube and pull it right out. Maybe all them years of "digging for gold" nose picking finally did pay off.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #505 on: 11 Apr 2010, 02:57 am »
Shek,

The Valvo you are speaking of I believe is the Valvo pinched waist D getter E80CC, not a ECC82.In reality it is in a Valvo box but I believe all the E80CC's tubes were made by Amperex in the Holland factory and companies just relabled them ie..Telefunken, Mullard.

Just wanted to have you check and maybe verify the Valvo tube that your speaking of.

Thanks,
 Bill

I did say memories are faulty sometimes, didn't I, Bill?  Yes, absolutely, checked the box, it's E80CC.  My apology!  Good that it didn't change the sound! :thumb:

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #506 on: 11 Apr 2010, 03:01 am »
Hey!

You've mentioned this couple of times already. Why did you sell the Shek DAC at the first place?

So, how many DACs have you gone through since you sold the Shek DAC?

You should have kept the Shek DAC.

Anyway, good luck.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

I changed the output caps, but misplaced the originals.  The maker said he threw out all the design etc...., couldn't tell me what Siemens caps they were (Model, #s... think it was just out of convenience not to help!).  So..... I don't have the same anymore. :duh:

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
Re: Eastern Electric DAC - Chapter Mullard 12Au7
« Reply #507 on: 12 Apr 2010, 02:59 pm »
I'm trying to do the CV4003 one better tooooooo.  Before I even say anything, let me give a BIG  :thumb: to salute Bill for sending me those treasured valves.  I'm sure I'll find any of them can be the top act.  Thanks again Bill. :flame:

Shek

Just swapped in the 12AU7 Mullard Bill sent.  It's leaner, cleaner, and meaner.  The CV4003 has more warmth in the mid section, rounder in sound.  In a woman, it'd be Broader On The Brim, which is what the CV4003 is about.  So, the CV4003 is definitely more preferred in my book. 

The 12AU7 Mullard is of course still very musical.  However, the Valvo still seems (from memory now) sweeter, tho the Valvo is a bit on the unclear side because of its warmth, vs. the 12AU7 Mullard.

Jon L

« Reply #508 on: 12 Apr 2010, 04:27 pm »

Tungsram did make E80CC, which is the other major E80CC one can find from usual places.  Tungsram E80CC tends to sound more "transparent" and less bloomy, and I preferred it over Amperex E80CC in certain situations.  Those who prefer the "classic" tube sound of other Holland tubes will likely prefer the Amperex, but those with already-too-warm systems should try out the Tungsram as well JIMHO.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #509 on: 13 Apr 2010, 01:59 am »
Excellent Shek.  The tube to beat is a Mullard CV4003.  :)

Chapter - Siemens Silver Plate.

Levi, I may have found the tube to beat the Mullard CV4003.  Just had my initial session with the Siemens tube.  Here's my take - Body of the sound (esp. the mids of course) is supple, just like the Mullard CV4003.  It's also very clean sounding.  But.... I think the Siemens has more "air", less haze than the Valvo.  The piano sound has more oomph, more clings and clangs, if you know what they mean  :duh:.  More spacious, dimensionality.  Oh, another word, better holographiness?  I have to invent words to label the Siemens.  To me, the Siemens tube is just more magical.  :thumb:  :drool:
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2010, 01:30 am by goldlizsts »

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #510 on: 13 Apr 2010, 02:59 am »
Chapter - Siemens Silver Plate.

Levi, I may have found the tube to beat the CV4003.  Just had my initial session with the Siemens tube.  Here's my take - Body of the sound (esp. the mids of course) is supple, just like the CV4003.  It's also very clean sounding.  But.... I think the Siemens has more "air", less haze than the Valvo.  The piano sound has more oomph, more clings and clangs, if you know what they mean  :duh: .  More spacious, dimensionality.  Oh, another word, better holographiness?  I have to invent words to label the Siemens.  To me, the Siemens tube is just more magical.  :thumb: :drool:

:thumb:   :thumb:   :thumb:  Me too.  :D

Levi

« Reply #511 on: 13 Apr 2010, 04:08 am »
I have to check out the Siemens tube.  Thanks!

ltr317

« Reply #512 on: 13 Apr 2010, 04:16 am »

You'll have to stop buying brains on Zombie Farm first to free up some money.   :lol:

Levi

« Reply #513 on: 13 Apr 2010, 04:55 am »
Hey Paul, It's only money. ;)

John151

« Reply #514 on: 13 Apr 2010, 05:09 am »
Check those Siemens for the diamon logo on the bottom - they just might be Telefunkens!   :thumb:

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #515 on: 13 Apr 2010, 09:55 am »

It's probably quite expensive, if you can even find one.  If you find 2, I'll take one. :eyebrows:  Someone is offering me $135, for 1, not pair......  :scratch:

Upscale has a Siemens, but probably not the same (more recently produced....), just by the price difference.

Levi

« Reply #516 on: 13 Apr 2010, 12:00 pm »
Thanks Shek.  Let me know as well if you find a pair.  Then again, I need to listen to it to see if it is worth the money ;)

Gopher

« Reply #517 on: 13 Apr 2010, 01:59 pm »
Upscale has a Siemens, but probably not the same (more recently produced....), just by the price difference.

Yeah, I almost bought one from Upscale, but stopped when I couldn't get confirmation as to whether it was the right Siemens...  Anyone know for sure? 

On a side note, the Mullard really came around for me.  I like it quite a bit and am tempted to revisit some of the other 12au7s I plugged in NOS and give them a fair time to break in as it took like 5 days for the Mullard to come around.

Question:  I like to leave my solid state equipment on all the time.  If I leave this DAC on, but toggle off tube section, am I killing tube life?

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #518 on: 13 Apr 2010, 08:50 pm »
Yeah, I almost bought one from Upscale, but stopped when I couldn't get confirmation as to whether it was the right Siemens...  Anyone know for sure? 

On a side note, the Mullard really came around for me.  I like it quite a bit and am tempted to revisit some of the other 12au7s I plugged in NOS and give them a fair time to break in as it took like 5 days for the Mullard to come around.

Question:  I like to leave my solid state equipment on all the time.  If I leave this DAC on, but toggle off tube section, am I killing tube life?

When I last yanked a tube, I tried just after shutting down the DAC, and it was just warm to the touch.  That probably is a good indicator that it won't burn out that fast (as like anything, it will die sometime down the road!).  The DAC is not a big eater, so I would think leaving it on would be OK.  Of course, it is not as good to just turn it on and let it warm up for 10-15 before listening, vs. leaving it on 24/7?  I

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #519 on: 13 Apr 2010, 11:05 pm »

The Siemens that blew my socks off, both in my system and in Bill's Salk system had Siemens E82CC CV4003 stamped right on the tube. You'd have to ask Bill@LakeGeorge where he got his but I'm sure it wasn't cheap. And it's probably not the same tube that Shek is testing either,, I really don't know. I did test a 2nd Siemens tube that Bill had and it totally sucked.

Thanks for mentioning your taking a liking to the Herbie's dampening ring. It's not getting much love from the tube luvr's but for use with the 2 tube dac applications I've tried 1 on, it's good to go in my book.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin