Eastern Electric DAC

Levi

Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #480 on: 2 Apr 2010, 09:47 pm »
Thanks Robin for the heads up on the Siemens tube.   Honestly, I stopped rolling tubes. 

Who is doing the "hot-rod" version. ?!?  A friend pointed to me that the volume control can be bypassed.  However, No one knows for sure what that will do.

rpf

« Reply #481 on: 2 Apr 2010, 09:58 pm »
To the Mods: if you think my post above should be moved to the EE DAC review thread, please do so. I forgot it existed as everyone seems to be posting here.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #482 on: 3 Apr 2010, 04:56 am »
Hi Guys,

I just sent Shek some tubes to roll in the DAC, Phillips pinched waist D getter E80CC, a Siemens silverplate 12au7 I don't believe this was the Siemens that Robin used, a Valvo ECC186/Amperex 7316, a triple mica Raytheon blackplate 5814A, and the longplate Mullard K61 date code 12au7, they won't arrive to NY until Tuesday.
 Levi, you should try a few of these, I know you like your cv4003 Mullard but all of these are worth a listen if you have the chance maybe Shek could send them your way after he is done listening.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #483 on: 3 Apr 2010, 05:13 am »
Bill, the Siemens box says ECC82 *TFK* and the tube is stamped 270. I really know nothing of these tubes as i'm just demo'ing them from a friend.

There is another Siemens here that I haven't tried, a E82CC CV4003. As good as the Mullard is, I'm not sure I want to yank it out again.  :lol:  But I'm sure my curiosity will get the best of me.  :D  I only have a handful of days left with this giant killer.

Cheers,
Robin

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #484 on: 3 Apr 2010, 07:03 am »
Couldn't get that other Siemens E82CC CV4003 tube out of my mind so I plopped it in after I ProGold the pins ( a little something I'm doing for all the tubes). Well after about an hour of listening, this Siemens is a 180% turnaround from the other Siemens. Nice clean sound stage, taut bass, this is a very nice tube indeed.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

ctviggen

« Reply #485 on: 3 Apr 2010, 11:50 am »
Yeah that would be interesting,, but just not in this Eastern Electric Industrial Ad thread.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

So, one can review the EE DAC -- in this thread -- against a ton of other DACs and post the results -- again, in this thread -- but one cannot review the EE DAC and the dB labs and post the results in this thread?  This doesn't make any sense to me. 

For instance, here's one review in this thread:

"Although I preferred the Havana overall, the EE produced highs the likes of which I don't think I've ever heard before"

Another review:

"In comparing this [the EE] Dac with a TDAC while at Bill's, I found out that the gain on the EE dac is significantly higher (volume knob at full). "

It simply does not make sense that comparisons between the EE DAC and every other DAC but the dB Labs can be made in this thread, bu the EE v dB labs has to be made elsewhere. 

In what way does this make sense to you? 

John151

« Reply #486 on: 3 Apr 2010, 01:58 pm »
So, one can review the EE DAC -- in this thread -- against a ton of other DACs and post the results -- again, in this thread -- but one cannot review the EE DAC and the dB labs and post the results in this thread?  This doesn't make any sense to me. 

A thread (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=77901.0) was created in the Critics circle for EE DAC reviews. The Critics circle was created for reviews.  The Industry Ads circle was created for the announcement of products and questions for the makers/sellers of the product.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #487 on: 3 Apr 2010, 04:45 pm »

For instance, here's one review in this thread:

"Although I preferred the Havana overall, the EE produced highs the likes of which I don't think I've ever heard before"

Another review:

"In comparing this [the EE] Dac with a TDAC while at Bill's, I found out that the gain on the EE dac is significantly higher (volume knob at full). "

It simply does not make sense that comparisons between the EE DAC and every other DAC but the dB Labs can be made in this thread, bu the EE v dB labs has to be made elsewhere. 

I know Bob,,, guilty as charged.  :oops:  But it's hard to report on the Industry announced Dac when actually comparing it with the other Dac's at hand. If it were to lead to promoting another company's Dac, i would refrain but with my comparisons, I'm highliting the strengths of the EE Dac, that's how I justified it,,, and I was wrong in even bringing them up Bob, you are right.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

jbtrio

« Reply #488 on: 3 Apr 2010, 07:05 pm »
Those are very nice tubes Bill is sending Shek! Those long plate Mullards should sound better then the CV4003.
Satfrat, if you like Siemens you should try their 5814a triple mica.
Levi if you like I have a few 12au7s you can try.

Joe

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #489 on: 3 Apr 2010, 07:21 pm »
Those are very nice tubes Bill is sending Shek! Those long plate Mullards should sound better then the CV4003.
Satfrat, if you like Siemens you should try their 5814a triple mica.
Levi if you like I have a few 12au7s you can try.

Joe

This Dac and it's tube are on loan but I'm sure it's owner is reading this thread, that's the the recommendation Joe.  :thumb:  It's been hit/miss with the 2 Siemens tubes I have on hand. But this Siemens E82CC CV4003 is simply blowingme away.  :duh:  It has all the atttributes of the Mullard but it's clearer, more balanced with sparkling highs and a nice taut bass, and it still retains the Mullard's 3D sound stage depth. I've had it playing 13 hours now I'm going to be hard pressed to shut her down when the NCAA Tourney starts at 6pm.  :lol:  This EE Dac has been a pleasure to demo.  :dance:

Oh, did I mention I'm using Joe's Kaplan power cord to good effect on the EE dac? I'll be returning it to you April 24 at Emil's RAVE.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Gopher

« Reply #490 on: 4 Apr 2010, 03:41 am »
Just revisited the DAC with Mullard CV4003 tube.  Its been burning in all week and my impression is much better this listen.  I was hearing a harshness in midrange before that was very unappealing.  This is sounding more like it.  My listening is being done at low levels due to sleeping, pregnant wife, but I'm much happier.

I love this thing! 

Are there any reviews in the works with any of the audiophile publications?

Levi

« Reply #491 on: 5 Apr 2010, 02:11 am »
Thanks Bill and Joe for the tube recommendations. 

I will check with Shek when he gets back from vacation. 

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #492 on: 9 Apr 2010, 12:41 pm »
Thanks Bill and Joe for the tube recommendations. 

I will check with Shek when he gets back from vacation.

Hey Levi, I met you guys on the street last night and you didn't mention it :lol:.  You guys probably were too hungry last night.  Seriously, I will likely be listening with the tubes over this weekend, if I find time.  This is a busy weekend for me, taxes and other parties.....  :eyebrows: 

Will keep you posted. :D

Levi

« Reply #493 on: 9 Apr 2010, 12:48 pm »
Excellent Shek.  The tube to beat is a Mullard CV4003.  :)

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #494 on: 9 Apr 2010, 04:40 pm »

I'm trying to do the CV4003 one better tooooooo.  Before I even say anything, let me give a BIG  :thumb: to salute Bill for sending me those treasured valves.  I'm sure I'll find any of them can be the top act.  Thanks again Bill. :flame:

Shek

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #495 on: 9 Apr 2010, 05:29 pm »
While I had the EE dac, instead of the enclosed tube dampening cylinder, I was using a Herbie's Ultrasonic RX-9 ring dampener which really brought out the clarity of the tubes in play. ymmv.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

John151

« Reply #496 on: 9 Apr 2010, 05:51 pm »

I have several Mullards, including 2 CV4003s, with dates spanning several decades.  They sound great, but in my system, in my listening room, to my ears, they are not the top dog.   I am currently playing an RFT that sounds better (more open sound, especially in the top end), but my favorite tube is a Dario MiniWatt from the Amprex/Philips Heerlen factory (sound is just magical).  YMMV.   :thumb:

I also have two more NOS tubes from the Heerlen factory to try out. 

Levi

« Reply #497 on: 9 Apr 2010, 06:22 pm »
Hey Robin, If you are getting an EE Dac, I may have some OPAMP tweaks. :)

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #498 on: 9 Apr 2010, 06:53 pm »
Hey Robin, If you are getting an EE Dac, I may have some OPAMP tweaks. :)

Actually Levi, I took back the EE Dac to it's owner yesterday and have received my Havana Dac w/Bendix Red Bank 6385 tube back from cyro. I had really grown fond of this tube Dac tho and if it weren't for the fact that I am aready invested with a topnotch Empirical Off-Ramp transport w/Ultraclock, I wouldn't have been looking for a NOS Dac in the 1st place. If this Dac had been around a year sooner, I could have saved thousands of dollars, it's that good of a USB Dac.

Another fact of the matter is my friend is sending his EE Dac out for modification exploration,,,, more to come.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Gopher

« Reply #499 on: 9 Apr 2010, 10:40 pm »
While I had the EE dac, instead of the enclosed tube dampening cylinder, I was using a Herbie's Ultrasonic RX-9 ring dampener which really brought out the clarity of the tubes in play. ymmv.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

Great friggin' suggestion, Robin!  I just threw a Herbie's HAL-O I had sitting in my tweak box on my new Mullard.  I've enjoyed this DAC from day one, but that was my first  "holy sh*t" moment.