Eastern Electric DAC

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #420 on: 21 Mar 2010, 06:05 pm »
Hi David,

I just returned from vacation so I haven't contacted my website guy yet to put the DAC on the website as of yet.
I will shoot him an email today and see if he can do it quickly.
 Thanks,
 Bill

SET Man

« Reply #421 on: 22 Mar 2010, 04:36 pm »

Don't listen to Levi.  :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: ...

Hey!

:lol:  Man! How many bottles he had there? 6? :lol:  Anyway, I stopped by Levi's last Friday and listened for a while with EE DAC with those Mc amps. It sounded good. Seems to be very detailed but still sounded full in mid and bottom. Strangely enough I preferred the sound using the CD player as a transport better than from computer via USB.  But can't say for sure since I haven't heard it in my own system or was with my own music :dunno:

Then, I got the CV4003.   Wow, Levi, you're right again.  It's the crowning king, so far.  I usually use a personal favorite recording to judge the mids, Maria Joao Pires's Chopin Piano Concerto #2 (DG).  Her piano sounded sooooo good with my previous Shek DAC (NOS).  Believe it or not, even the CV4003 is still a notch less than the NOS Shek, based on 1543 I think.  The NOS just has yet a little more shine in the piano sound (harmonic richenss?).  Well..... can't have everything.  ....

The Mullard 4003 is a very nice tube. I actually use a pair in my Pre output section. I used a  pair for 10 years before I got a new pair. This  tube is all about the mid. Luscious and full mid. The top is smooth and can sound rolled off to some. The bass is full but a bit loose. A great tube.

Yes, Shek there is something special about NOS DAC. Personally when is come to 16bit CD playback I do prefer NOS. Most 24/96+ upsampling DAC playing back CD sound unease to me specially in the high. Don't know why.  :scratch:

And lastly - nobody claims Maveric's superiority. Rave impressions are solely based on value vs performance.

Cheers
Mariusz :thumb: 

Not quite. Well, at least to me. The Rave impression is solely base on performance only first and foremost. The price vs. performance ratio is left up to each individual Raver to decide whether it is worth the asking price for his/herself. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #422 on: 22 Mar 2010, 05:03 pm »
I agree to disagree on the price factor.

If your DIY DAC was re-badged and dressed up then added a $500 mark up,
you wouldn't call it a bargain and its performance vs value would quickly diminish making it a "less atractive" then original version.
At least that is my point of view. 

Personally, I do not care much for product or how good it is, knowing that I can't afford it.

I do agree with you tho in regards to NOS DACs and there characteristics.
But in my opinion, it has more to do with system synergy and personal preferences then anything else.

Cheers
Mariusz

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #423 on: 22 Mar 2010, 05:03 pm »
Hey!

..................there is something special about NOS DAC. Personally when is come to 16bit CD playback I do prefer NOS. Most 24/96+ upsampling DAC playing back CD sound unease to me specially in the high. Don't know why.  :scratch:

Somehow the Shek DAC didn't sound well at your place that time.  I loved it, but had to Mundorf it (hoping to improve on the 2 ends.....), and lost the luscious mids (that was all its strength!?!?!).... So I had to chuck it.....  Now, the EE DAC really foots the bill well.

Levi

« Reply #424 on: 22 Mar 2010, 05:18 pm »
Bingo! 

Buddy, I think you hit the nail on the head.  In the March NYAR meeting at Mike Mattera, the only DAC that competes with BobM's Ayre modified CD Player is the EE DAC.

Regardless of the price, 90% love the sound of the EE DAC.   The thread is at AN.  The odds are pro EE.

Finally, If I am broke and cannot afford a good DAC, I will not waste my only $200 cash in my pocket.   What I would do is keep the money in my savings instead.  There are lots of good inexpensive DIY DACs out there for $169.  However, EE DAC is something to look into.

--Levi

Hey!

:lol:  Man! How many bottles he had there? 6? :lol:  Anyway, I stopped by Levi's last Friday and listened for a while with EE DAC with those Mc amps. It sounded good. Seems to be very detailed but still sounded full in mid and bottom. Strangely enough I preferred the sound using the CD player as a transport better than from computer via USB.  But can't say for sure since I haven't heard it in my own system or was with my own music :dunno:

The Mullard 4003 is a very nice tube. I actually use a pair in my Pre output section. I used a  pair for 10 years before I got a new pair. This  tube is all about the mid. Luscious and full mid. The top is smooth and can sound rolled off to some. The bass is full but a bit loose. A great tube.

Yes, Shek there is something special about NOS DAC. Personally when is come to 16bit CD playback I do prefer NOS. Most 24/96+ upsampling DAC playing back CD sound unease to me specially in the high. Don't know why.  :scratch:

Not quite. Well, at least to me. The Rave impression is solely base on performance only first and foremost. The price vs. performance ratio is left up to each individual Raver to decide whether it is worth the asking price for his/herself. :D

Take care,

Mariusz

« Reply #425 on: 22 Mar 2010, 05:41 pm »
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #426 on: 22 Mar 2010, 05:44 pm »
Bingo! 

Buddy, I think you hit the nail on the head.  In the March NYAR meeting at Mike Mattera, the only DAC that competes with BobM's Ayre modified CD Player is the EE DAC.

Regardless of the price, 90% love the sound of the EE DAC.   The thread is at AN.  The odds are pro EE.

Finally, If I am broke and cannot afford a good DAC, I will not waste my only $200 cash in my pocket.   What I would do is keep the money in my savings instead.  There are lots of good inexpensive DIY DACs out there for $169.  However, EE DAC is something to look into.

--Levi

Gee Levi, I could have sworn I heard a few guys actually preferred the Van Alstine Insight+ solid state Dac over the EE Dac. At least 1 poster mentioned this over at Neversa.  ;)

Myself, I preferred the fullness of the EE Dac over the overall SS clarity that the Insight+ seems to have over tube Dacs. Then again I did leave my Mhdt Havana tube Dac at home so,,,,,,,,  :eyebrows:

Cheers,
Robin

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #427 on: 22 Mar 2010, 05:53 pm »
Bingo! 

--Levi

Forget it Levi.  Buddy is a true dirt-cheap DIY'er, that you and I know  :drool:.  He'll go for a DAC only if it's $6.9; all right, $69, NOT $169.  Did you make a typo error?  :lol:  Right Buddy?  :icon_lol: 

All kidding aside.  There are many, many inexpensive DIY Kits out there (look in eBay).  They all say theirs is the best.  Who would know?  Not until you've actually finished it, and put it on the bench......  So, by the time you sorted out with them, modded them......, it might have run you slightly more than that $69. :scratch:

Levi

« Reply #428 on: 22 Mar 2010, 06:03 pm »
:lol: That is true Shek.  :lol:

Mariusz

« Reply #429 on: 22 Mar 2010, 06:06 pm »
Levi
when I say "rave reviews", my reference is - many positive reviews here and other forums/web. 

P.S
DIY kits are awesome but who told you that the asking price of admition reflects the TOTAL cost of the project?

Trust me, it is far more then that.......or as far as you want to take it.

.............and that 90% voting in favor might be a bit off.......at least that is what I am hearing.  :lol:

Mariusz  :wink:

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #430 on: 22 Mar 2010, 06:16 pm »

Gee Levi, I could have sworn I heard a few guys actually preferred the Van Alstine Insight+ solid state Dac over the EE Dac. At least 1 poster mentioned this over at Neversa.  ;)

Myself, I preferred the fullness of the EE Dac over the overall SS clarity that the Insight+ seems to have over tube Dacs. Then again I did leave my Mhdt Havana tube Dac at home so,,,,,,,,  :eyebrows:

Cheers,
Robin

Robin,

We all know, some people like SS, some love tubes..... Who's right? who's wrong?  My rationale - I don't know what others hear and not hear, since I can't crawl into their ears......  So, we all do our own thing.  Whatever makes one tick, so be it!!!!!!  :lol:

When are you coming to one of our events?  Afraid of messed up in a shoot-out?

Levi

« Reply #431 on: 22 Mar 2010, 06:22 pm »
Mariusz, sorry to blow your bubble.  A couple of friends at Head-fi are already ahead of you.  How's $30 DAC running?  Here is the link to the thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/poll-best-cheap-dac-288043/

As I stated, I will not waste my $200 on a cheap dac and buy $60-80 tube to make it sound good.  :lol:

Levi, now exits the building.   :beer:

, it is far more then that.......or as far as you want to take it.

.............and that 90% voting in favor might be a bit off.......at least that is what I am hearing.  :lol:

Mariusz  :wink:

SET Man

« Reply #432 on: 22 Mar 2010, 06:27 pm »
I agree to disagree on the price factor.

If your DIY DAC was re-badged and dressed up then added a $500 mark up,
you wouldn't call it a bargain and its performance vs value would quickly diminish making it a "less atractive" then original version.
At least that is my point of view. 

Personally, I do not care much for product or how good it is, knowing that I can't afford it.

I do agree with you tho in regards to NOS DACs and there characteristics.
But in my opinion, it has more to do with system synergy and personal preferences then anything else.

Cheers
Mariusz

Hey!

Mariusz, we are talking about a "finished product" here. DIY is another story... well unless we are comparing DIY kits. :D

BTW... yes, you should care about stuffs that you can't afford, or at least keep open minded about them. Have you heard of "trickling down technology?" What in expensive stuffs today will trickling down to a more affordable stuffs in time. Pretty short time these days. :D With that I wouldn't mind checking more expensive stuff just to see what's new and see what's possible in the future. :D

Forget it Levi.  Buddy is a true dirt-cheap DIY'er, that you and I know  :drool:.  He'll go for a DAC only if it's $6.9; all right, $69, NOT $169.  Did you make a typo error?  :lol:  Right Buddy?  :icon_lol: 

All kidding aside.  There are many, many inexpensive DIY Kits out there (look in eBay).  They all say theirs is the best.  Who would know?  Not until you've actually finished it, and put it on the bench......  So, by the time you sorted out with them, modded them......, it might have run you slightly more than that $69. :scratch:

Well, Shek dirt-cheap in price but BIG in sound for me  :eyebrows:

Anyway, just to make it clear I'm not here to support either EE DAC or Maverick DAC. It just happened that I've heard the EE DAC at Levi's and it sounded fine... and didn't drive me away like some stuffs I've heard that is all. :D

OK, now back to listen to my dirt-cheap, cheapo DIY NOS DAC   :green: Well, have fun guys... just don't forget to enjoy the music though :wink:

Take care,

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #433 on: 22 Mar 2010, 06:42 pm »
Robin,

We all know, some people like SS, some love tubes..... Who's right? who's wrong?  My rationale - I don't know what others hear and not hear, since I can't crawl into their ears......  So, we all do our own thing.  Whatever makes one tick, so be it!!!!!!  :lol:

When are you coming to one of our events?  Afraid of messed up in a shoot-out?

I was there, where the hell were you Shek???  :lol:

Yep, SS & tube will always be a personal preference as it should be. Just saying there were 2 favorites last saturday, the EE Dac and the Van Alstine Insight+ Dac. I heard nothing said about all the others except time to change Dacs!  :D

As for BobM's Ayre SS CDP, as clean as it was, it didn't penetrate my heart like Mike's tube CDP did. (I forget the name) Mike's tube CDP made me want to cry, it was so sweet sounding. But then again, there were others that preferred Bob's ultraclean Ayre. I think I'm sliding into the tube camp.  :oops:   :D

Cheers,
Robin

Mariusz

« Reply #434 on: 22 Mar 2010, 06:52 pm »
 :thumb:

mumford

« Reply #435 on: 22 Mar 2010, 07:57 pm »
But EE is also a digital pre-amp, not something that you can easily DIY.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #436 on: 22 Mar 2010, 08:05 pm »
I prefer tone over clarity but if I want it crystalline clean I would just throw in a Siemens silver plate.The Siemens is a marvelous tube that is a revelation to enjoy in the EE DAC, it still has some meat on its bone and does everything exceptionally but has clarity as its flavour.

If the NY rave folks would like to hear,I'd be more then willing to send a silverplate to Levi or Shek to bring to the next rave.
 Let me know,
 Bill

PS: For the record; the EE MiniMax DAC isn't a rebadged DAC of any sort!

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #437 on: 22 Mar 2010, 08:07 pm »
But EE is also a digital pre-amp, not something that you can easily DIY.

I tried the MiniMax DAC straight into my EL156 monoblocks yesterday and was surprised at just how good it was all by its lonesome. Heck ,I even tried the SS output and that was excellent also, Go figure :lol:

mcullinan

« Reply #438 on: 22 Mar 2010, 08:08 pm »
I enjoyed the EE DAC.. though Levi had a stanky tube in there. It was a GIANT KILLER!
Levi scared me when he said that.
M

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #439 on: 22 Mar 2010, 08:21 pm »
............................It just happened that I've heard the EE DAC at Levi's and it sounded fine... and didn't drive me away like some stuffs I've heard that is all. :D

OK, now back to listen to my dirt-cheap, cheapo DIY NOS DAC   :green: Well, have fun guys... just don't forget to enjoy the music though :wink:

Take care,

Well, Buddy, what you heard at Levi's was the EE DAC that had only about 30-40 hours.  I cooked it for about 2 days, after Bill (O'Connell) frantically zipped it to be that very Tuesday, and I got it Friday, then brought it over to Levi's.  That was it.  It also only had the stock Shuguang 12AU7.  As I said, that tube is just OK.  Now, with a CV4003, or even an Amperex, it should be much better.  As I said also, it always maintains the big soundstage, the only thing is which tube to put in there to give it the "body", IMHO.  Last Sat's Levi's version probably was a much more broken-in unit.  I'm sure it's now much more musical and warmer.