Eastern Electric DAC

doctorcilantro

Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #380 on: 5 Mar 2010, 02:35 pm »
Stuck at work and trying to figure out how wide the DAC is. From memory seems like maybe 11"

thanks
DC

Levi

« Reply #381 on: 5 Mar 2010, 02:38 pm »
Thanks Shawn.  I see four, but did not say BB on it.

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #382 on: 5 Mar 2010, 03:15 pm »
From memory seems like maybe 11"
Correct.  It's also about 8" deep and 3" tall. 

doctorcilantro

« Reply #383 on: 5 Mar 2010, 09:10 pm »
Photo taken by Levi of the Eastern Electric DAC from the Feb. Rave last Saturday..... :thumb:

What was the consensus?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #384 on: 5 Mar 2010, 09:30 pm »
What was the consensus?

Maybe you could go to the NY Audio RAVE thread and see?  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

doctorcilantro

« Reply #385 on: 5 Mar 2010, 09:33 pm »
I've been wondering how this DAC will pair with my Mini-Torri with 1v input sensitivity?

John151

« Reply #386 on: 6 Mar 2010, 02:54 pm »
Question for all of you tube experts:  How is it the EE products only need one tube?   :scratch:  My other audio gear use one tube per channel.    Having only one tube cuts the cost of tube rolling in half, so I am not complaining, just curious

srb

« Reply #387 on: 6 Mar 2010, 03:29 pm »
The 12AU7 is a dual triode tube and can be shared between channels as a common cathode gain stage.

(Edit: Tube designation corrected)

Steve

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #388 on: 6 Mar 2010, 03:54 pm »
Small point:  the DAC uses a 12AU7 not a 12AX7. 

John151

« Reply #389 on: 6 Mar 2010, 04:58 pm »
The 12AU7 is a dual triode tube and can be shared between channels as a common cathode gain stage.

(Edit: Tube designation corrected)

Steve

What are the design considerations here?  Any downsides, such as cross talk between channels? 

srb

« Reply #390 on: 6 Mar 2010, 05:05 pm »
I probably shouldn't have answered the first question, since it was posted to tube experts, which I'm not.

I do know that the Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp also shares this tube between channels, and it has earned a reputation as a highly respected audiophile piece.

So I will fade into the background on this subject, and let real experts add their opinions.

Steve

sfox7076

« Reply #391 on: 11 Mar 2010, 01:22 am »
Optical to coax converter did not work.  So next up will be something else.  Either a G Airport Express or some other way.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #392 on: 11 Mar 2010, 02:44 am »
Does anyone know the tube output side's current rating?  The manual only has a 3V listing, no current figure.  :scratch:

bravophase

« Reply #393 on: 11 Mar 2010, 03:07 am »
Hi Shek,

The 3V output is the audio signal swing, you do not concern its current.

Cheers !

Alex

Does anyone know the tube output side's current rating?  The manual only has a 3V listing, no current figure.  :scratch:

sfox7076

« Reply #394 on: 11 Mar 2010, 07:13 pm »
I should have a wireless G airport express shortly.  That will be my next test to see if that resolves the issue I have with the DAC.  I will let you all know my results. 

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #395 on: 12 Mar 2010, 01:36 pm »
A few questions.

I encountered an issue with a Brimar tube, the tube has a plastic base at the bottom of the tube with a diameter slightly larger than the housing around the receptical of the dac.  Can the housing be removed?

Also what tool do I need to remove the top, I thought I had any drive bit I would ever need?

aloft

« Reply #396 on: 12 Mar 2010, 08:11 pm »
I should have a wireless G airport express shortly.  That will be my next test to see if that resolves the issue I have with the DAC.  I will let you all know my results.

Thanks for trying. Should the AE "G" work, it would definitely be the most economical wireless streaming solution out there.

sfox7076

« Reply #397 on: 16 Mar 2010, 02:03 am »
The wireless G AEX has been playing for an hour without a dropout.  How odd.  I am not sure I understand it really.  I guess it is the Wireless N AEX.  I am not sure what else to say beyond I think that working on this by EE would be great because not so many people have access to an AEX G.  It would be a real detriment to not having it work with the AEX available now.  That being said, I see that this is an Apple issue.

Gopher

« Reply #398 on: 16 Mar 2010, 02:32 pm »
Awesome news.  Did you lose out on anything going to G over N though? Is streaming still seamless?

doctorcilantro

« Reply #399 on: 18 Mar 2010, 01:56 pm »
A few questions.

I encountered an issue with a Brimar tube, the tube has a plastic base at the bottom of the tube with a diameter slightly larger than the housing around the receptical of the dac.  Can the housing be removed?

What's this Brimar tube all about; does it have a socket adapter to make it compatible to the 12AU7 pinout? Must be big if id doesn't even fit in the DAC....

DC