Eastern Electric DAC

aloft

Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #320 on: 28 Feb 2010, 06:07 am »
I think the problem was the n version. I think they claimed it was Apple's fault; the device has considerably more jitter iirc.
I wasn't aware of the AEX issues until now which is a real bummer and apparently is above all a problem of the AEX n and iTunes 8+.

In Apple Support forums I found this workaround: "Two weeks ago it became impossible to endure and I went into various logs to see what was going on - what I found was an AEx continually trying to set its time from Apple's Time Servers and getting timeouts on the connection. I went into the Airport Utility and told the AEx not to get the time from the internet (why does an AEx need the time anyway?) and ever since then there has been not one single dropout."

Have you tried it?

Cheers!

doctorcilantro

« Reply #321 on: 28 Feb 2010, 06:11 am »
I wasn't aware of the AEX issues until now which is a real bummer and apparently is above all a problem of the AEX n and iTunes 8+.

In Apple Support forums I found this workaround: "Two weeks ago it became impossible to endure and I went into various logs to see what was going on - what I found was an AEx continually trying to set its time from Apple's Time Servers and getting timeouts on the connection. I went into the Airport Utility and told the AEx not to get the time from the internet (why does an AEx need the time anyway?) and ever since then there has been not one single dropout."

Have you tried it?

Cheers!

nice fix.

srb

« Reply #322 on: 28 Feb 2010, 06:42 am »
I went into the Airport Utility and told the AEx not to get the time from the internet (why does an AEx need the time anyway?) and ever since then there has been not one single dropout."

Although I am using my 3 Airport Express N's with analog outputs for now, I was having a rather long connection time when rebooting or powering them up.  The status LED would be on solid amber during the bootup procedure for ~ a minute (normal), then would flash amber for as much as 5 to 10 minutes before connecting and the staus LED turning green.

Now, after disabling the automatic time set, a half dozen amber flashes and I'm connected.  Thanks!   :)

The only reason I can see to have the time set correctly in an AE, would be if you are using it as your primary router connection to the Internet, and would want to see a time stamp on the connection log (and for hacking attempts).  But I assume most of us are using it to extend an existing wireless network.

Steve

bravophase

« Reply #323 on: 28 Feb 2010, 09:26 am »
Hi Folks,

I am sorry, it was my mistake and I went much ahead. The USB receiving chip does not support 192KHz. It works sometimes with some frequencies, some are truncated.

Thanks.

Alex

No, but since

- the TI 2706 USB chip is a 16bit/48KHz chip

- doctorcilantro reported that 24bit/192KHz doesn't work under the WASAPI driver (although that resolution would require special drivers under USB, but I'm sure he would have the same result with a 24bit/96KHz file)

- under Windows DirectSound, 16bit/48KHz is the highest possible setting

anything above 16bit/48KHz is obviously downsampled through the USB input.

Steve

aloft

« Reply #324 on: 28 Feb 2010, 12:19 pm »
Could anyone with a AEx and a toslink cable please check if disabling the automatic time set on the AEx improves the connection to the Minimax DAC (or any other DAC you have on hand) as well?

Thanks!

Although I am using my 3 Airport Express N's with analog outputs for now, I was having a rather long connection time when rebooting or powering them up.  The status LED would be on solid amber during the bootup procedure for ~ a minute (normal), then would flash amber for as much as 5 to 10 minutes before connecting and the staus LED turning green.

Now, after disabling the automatic time set, a half dozen amber flashes and I'm connected.  Thanks!   :)

The only reason I can see to have the time set correctly in an AE, would be if you are using it as your primary router connection to the Internet, and would want to see a time stamp on the connection log (and for hacking attempts).  But I assume most of us are using it to extend an existing wireless network.

Steve

sfox7076

« Reply #325 on: 28 Feb 2010, 01:40 pm »
I tried it.  No, it didn't stop the issue.  It reduced it a bit.  Every 20-30 seconds, the sound cuts out.  The AEX works fine when hooked to my Anthem D2.

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #326 on: 28 Feb 2010, 03:50 pm »
I tried it.  No, it didn't stop the issue.  It reduced it a bit.  Every 20-30 seconds, the sound cuts out.  The AEX works fine when hooked to my Anthem D2.

Call Bill send it back, mine had the same problem with the coax connection.  I guess they had to add a capacitor or ???

PeteG

« Reply #327 on: 28 Feb 2010, 07:34 pm »
Tried the USB input today using my netbook (Foobar) and a portable drive, I was very happy with the sound I got and no issues.

In the next week or so I will try an M2Tech USB interface w/BNC cable to give the BNC input a go.

sfox7076

« Reply #328 on: 1 Mar 2010, 12:49 pm »
I would like to find out if this is an issue with my unit or all units.  Can someone else try it with an AEX?

Shawn

doctorcilantro

« Reply #329 on: 1 Mar 2010, 03:20 pm »
Can people report what connections and sample rates they have tried and the results?

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #330 on: 1 Mar 2010, 04:58 pm »
I would like to find out if this is an issue with my unit or all units.  Can someone else try it with an AEX?

Shawn

I believe the coax problem I had exists on all units.

I think Alex or Bill should chime in here and let the masses know.

That being said I have just over a 100 hours on the dac, about 20 hours listening and the rest using the Isotek break-in disc and it does sound good.  It seems to have more body and warmth than my AVA Insight+ dac.  After about 200 hours I will be comparing the 2 side by side.

bravophase

« Reply #331 on: 1 Mar 2010, 05:08 pm »
Hi all,

I am investigating the issue with my engineers. It is a little difficult as I do not have your same signal sources to try. I may need Bill to send me back one or two units that have such issue. I will post as soon as I have any update of findings.

Cheers !

Alex

I believe the coax problem I had exists on all units.

I think Alex or Bill should chime in here and let the masses know.

That being said I have just over a 100 hours on the dac, about 20 hours listening and the rest using the Isotek break-in disc and it does sound good.  It seems to have more body and warmth than my AVA Insight+ dac.  After about 200 hours I will be comparing the 2 side by side.

Levi

« Reply #332 on: 1 Mar 2010, 05:13 pm »
We auditioned Shek's EE DACs' USB and BNC input in our rave meeting yesterday and that works truly superb! 

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #333 on: 1 Mar 2010, 05:57 pm »
A few of the units so far had this problem and we have come up with the solution and repaired those that were dropping the signal but we are going to try something else this evening that Alex and the engineers said might work better and so I promise I will update you later this evening if I can get my tech here to try the latest fix tonight if he isn't to busy.
 If your experiencing this problem ,please just hold off for a day or 2, let us make sure the solution is correct and I promise I will reimburse any shipping fees due to have the repair done. The repair only takes 15 minutes at the most.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #334 on: 2 Mar 2010, 01:29 am »
Hi Guys,

If anybody is having a problem with the Coax input, please let me know as we tried the fix that Alex and the engineers recommended.
 Everything will work perfectly now :thumb:, please email me at
bill@morningstaraudio.com
 and I will send you out a new unit that has the fix and reimburse you for any shipping cost that you incur. If you would rather have me issue a call tag to have the DAC picked up by UPS I can do that also.

We are so sorry that this happened :oops: but until the first issue arose with the first DAC we didn't know and then it happened to a second unit so then Alex and the engineers had to check it out but by then the DAC's had shipped out from me to you. Not all the DAC's had the issue but just having one out there not working properly has had me worried and losing sleep over it.

My sincerest apology,
 Bill O'Connell 

srb

« Reply #335 on: 2 Mar 2010, 01:38 am »
Bill,

Does this also address the problem some are experiencing using the optical input fed from the Apple Airport Express N (which for whatever reason apparently works fine with the optical input on the other DACs that they own)?

Steve

nature boy

« Reply #336 on: 2 Mar 2010, 02:14 am »
Bill is the real deal and a stand up guy.  I love my Minimax preamp and appreciate how he is handling this hick up with the new DAC's. 

NB

Hi Guys,

If anybody is having a problem with the Coax input, please let me know as we tried the fix that Alex and the engineers recommended.
 Everything will work perfectly now :thumb:, please email me at
bill@morningstaraudio.com
 and I will send you out a new unit that has the fix and reimburse you for any shipping cost that you incur. If you would rather have me issue a call tag to have the DAC picked up by UPS I can do that also.

We are so sorry that this happened :oops: but until the first issue arose with the first DAC we didn't know and then it happened to a second unit so then Alex and the engineers had to check it out but by then the DAC's had shipped out from me to you. Not all the DAC's had the issue but just having one out there not working properly has had me worried and losing sleep over it.

My sincerest apology,
 Bill O'Connell

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #337 on: 2 Mar 2010, 02:30 am »
Steve,

I'm more than embarrassed to admit I don't even know what Airport Apple Expree N is.

I have a Macbook Pro laptop and just use the Itunes. Is there something special I should know about the AAEx N . Does it sound better then Itunes? I could do a search and educate myself a little( and will) but if you would be so kind to give me a quick synopsis of the advantages I would appreciate it

Thank you,
 Bill

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #338 on: 2 Mar 2010, 02:34 am »
Steve,

I'm more than embarrassed to admit I don't even know what Airport Apple Expree N is.

Thank you,
 Bill

Apple Airport Express "N" is a wireless router that is "N" capable.

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

Many stream music to / through it.

roscoeiii

« Reply #339 on: 2 Mar 2010, 02:39 am »
AEX has a toslink output like the optical out on the recent Macbooks, requires that Toslink cable has adapter for 1/8" plug, which on AEX and Macbook can output analog or optical, recognizing each of those automatically.