Eastern Electric DAC

roscoeiii

Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #260 on: 19 Feb 2010, 05:06 pm »
Yes, let's wait to hear actual impressions of the SS output stage before dismissing it out of hand. IIRC, the op-amps are also socketed, so there is the possibility of "rolling" them much like tubes. The ability to experiment and really dial in the sound that best fits your tastes is a major appeal.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #261 on: 19 Feb 2010, 05:12 pm »

That's what i was referring to.  When will "slow boat" inventory be available to send out?  Thanks!

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm hoping for 4-5 weeks maybe a little sooner. It depends what coast they arrive on, then they hit a railcar here to Chicago, then a quick customs release usually 3-5 days then to have my shipper pick them up and deliver to me. Once they arrive I'll ship out immediately.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #262 on: 19 Feb 2010, 05:28 pm »
Yes, let's wait to hear actual impressions of the SS output stage before dismissing it out of hand. IIRC, the op-amps are also socketed, so there is the possibility of "rolling" them much like tubes. The ability to experiment and really dial in the sound that best fits your tastes is a major appeal.

Just a quick note, replacing the op-amp is not like tube rolling so unless you know what the heck your doing, don't even think about replacing them.
 Some AC members are very qualified to do this, others, well don't try this by yourself.If your an engineer,or have the knowledge to do so and have extensive audio repair under your belt and are comfortable with the procedure then you do the modifications at your own risk .
 You can't expect us to warranty any tinkering done to the inside of this DAC in case you make a big mistake.

Tube roll to your hearts content using a 12AU7 or a member of the 12AU7 family with the same electrical parameters. :thumb:
 Just because you have done some DIY tinkering doesn't qualify you to go under the hood :nono:

Really men, if you don't know what your doing, Don't do it!

roscoeiii

« Reply #263 on: 19 Feb 2010, 05:31 pm »
Does this mean that the op-amps are not socketed? My impression from earlier in the thread was that this was going to be the case, which from other forums gave me the impression that swapping them was pretty simple (albeit warranty negating...).

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #264 on: 19 Feb 2010, 05:34 pm »
Does this mean that the op-amps are not socketed? My impression from earlier in the thread was that this was going to be the case, which from other forums gave me the impression that swapping them was pretty simple (albeit warranty negating...).

Yes, they are socketed. If you don't have the correct tool to pull them out then your not qualified,IMHO

Gopher

« Reply #265 on: 19 Feb 2010, 07:42 pm »
Mine arrived!  I ran home at lunch time and plugged it in feeding it pandora from my squeezebox so it will be good and warmed up when I get home. 

Sounded better than it had a right to out of the box--we'll see how this adventure pans out.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #266 on: 19 Feb 2010, 08:13 pm »
Yep ,  The UPS man just delievered Mine.

Harrison

Vulcan00

« Reply #267 on: 19 Feb 2010, 08:16 pm »
Bill

I appreciate your efforts to get it to me. Getting it today means I can enjoy it  all weekend.

Thank You

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #268 on: 19 Feb 2010, 08:19 pm »
Your Welcome.

but really, Thank you with all my heart.
Bill

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #269 on: 19 Feb 2010, 08:25 pm »
Mine didn't make it, train derailment.  Maybe Monday.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #270 on: 19 Feb 2010, 08:26 pm »
You hit the nail on the head, they will sell for $750 plus shipping but the Audiogon ad took into account the Air freight of $72 to get them here as soon as possible and the customs fee that I didn't think I would have to pay per unit.

All the AC members that preordered received a screaming deal and those that opted for the Air Freight only paid the additional $72 that it cost me, nothing added on.  I didn't add the customs dutie fees on because I hold up my end of the bargain on the price that I quoted here. :thumb:

Hope that clarifies all my costs to you.

Thanks,
 Bill

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Vulcan00

« Reply #271 on: 19 Feb 2010, 10:11 pm »
Bumer     Bill@LakeGeorge

Hate to hear that. I just got mine set-up If you have a question I would be happy to try to answer it.
Harrison

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #272 on: 19 Feb 2010, 11:05 pm »
Mine didn't make it, train derailment.  Maybe Monday.

You need to post more Bill, it gets you moved up the ladder. J/K  :jester:

Cheers,
Robin

Vulcan00

« Reply #273 on: 19 Feb 2010, 11:24 pm »
Just what tube is in this dac as received?   8)

tubesound

« Reply #274 on: 19 Feb 2010, 11:31 pm »
Just what tube is in this dac as received?   8)

12AU7. Probably Shuguang?

It seems this DAC doesn't have a pure tube output stage as promised. This tube is still just a buffer.
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2010, 03:35 am by tubesound »

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #275 on: 20 Feb 2010, 01:53 am »
Got mine this evening.  Out of the box, sounds nice, already has substance in the sound (body).  The tube one is bodier, so to speak.  Soundstage immediately has sense of depth.

But.... I think I have a problem.  The sound fades (cuts out) every 10-15 seconds.  I see the "signal" light flickers, and the music gets cut out, and comes back over a 1/2- or 1-second interval when that happens.  I wiggled the connections, same problem.  I then turned off the amps and CD player, leaving the DAC alone being powered, same (I can see the signal light goes out and comes back in).  So, the problem is not the other equipment, it's the DAC.  Loose connection inside?  Defective?  I am leaving the DAC on, see how it will behave tomorrow morning.  :scratch:  :duh:

bravophase

« Reply #276 on: 20 Feb 2010, 03:14 am »
Got mine this evening.  Out of the box, sounds nice, already has substance in the sound (body).  The tube one is bodier, so to speak.  Soundstage immediately has sense of depth.

But.... I think I have a problem.  The sound fades (cuts out) every 10-15 seconds.  I see the "signal" light flickers, and the music gets cut out, and comes back over a 1/2- or 1-second interval when that happens.  I wiggled the connections, same problem.  I then turned off the amps and CD player, leaving the DAC alone being powered, same (I can see the signal light goes out and comes back in).  So, the problem is not the other equipment, it's the DAC.  Loose connection inside?  Defective?  I am leaving the DAC on, see how it will behave tomorrow morning.  :scratch:  :duh:
Can you please tell me what input did you use ? Or did you try other inputs ? It looks like the signal is not "caught" or the signal is not sent stably.

Cheers !

Alex

p.s. Do you mean that when your CD player was turned off, the DAC signal light was still on ?

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #277 on: 20 Feb 2010, 10:44 am »
Can you please tell me what input did you use ? Or did you try other inputs ? It looks like the signal is not "caught" or the signal is not sent stably.

Cheers !

Alex

p.s. Do you mean that when your CD player was turned off, the DAC signal light was still on ?

It is now about 6 a.m.  Just got up.  Stared at the DAC, left on overnight, with the other stuff all shut off.  I still see the signal light, pilot light, however you call it, flickering every 15, 20 seconds.  In other words, it goes out and comes back.  I played music, the the music would go faded for a second and come back in.  I was using Coax, which is the only input I use.  I also switched power cords this morning, tho I thought wouldn't be necessary.  Why?  With all other gear shut down, the signal light still goes in and out, I don't think it's the DAC not catching the signal.  It's some quirk "internal" at the DAC, and not external.

Oh, the signal is still on with all other input is shutoff; the DAC's power was not turned off.  The signal light still goes in and out at idle (again, no other gear, DAC, preamp, power amp, CDP, is on).  :scratch:

I next will contact Bill.
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2010, 11:58 am by goldlizsts »

evan1

« Reply #278 on: 20 Feb 2010, 11:44 am »
It is now about 6 a.m.  Just got up.  Stared at the DAC, left on overnight, with the other stuff all shut off.  I still see the signal light, pilot light, however you call it, flickers every 15, 20 seconds.  In other words, it goes out and comes back.  I played music, the the music would go silent for a second and comes back in.  I was using Coax, which is the only input I use.  I also switch power cords this morning, tho I thought wouldn't be necessary.  Why?  With all other gear shut down, the signal light still goes in and out.  I don't think it's the DAC not catching the signal.  It's some quirk "internal" at the DAC, and not external.

Oh, the signal is still on with all other input is shutoff; the DAC's power was not turned off.  The signal light still goes in and out at idle (again, no other gear, DAC, preamp, power amp, CDP, is on).

I next will contact Bill.

Shek, open your door I've been outside all night waiting to hear this thing.  . I hope I'm at the right apartment .

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #279 on: 20 Feb 2010, 11:55 am »
You probably were at Apt. 101.  Sorry, it's your faulty memory; it's Apt. 102, my friend.  I was afraid to go check out when I heard banging and shouting next door.  Besides, the music was too intoxicating!  :lol: