Eastern Electric DAC

John151

Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #240 on: 18 Feb 2010, 03:20 pm »
John 151,

Are these impressions with the tube or op-amp output? Any chance to compare the 2 different output stages?

Only listened to the Tube output so far. 

doctorcilantro

« Reply #241 on: 18 Feb 2010, 04:13 pm »
One complaint is the on/off button - you need to push it in firmly or it turns off again when you retract our finger.

I could see this as a benefit. Mine is en route. For some reason I haven't been getting notifications on this thread. Bill gave me the heads up via email; can't wait to check it out.

DC

Mine is up and running and I am quite pleased.  Bill - Thanks so much for letting me stop by and pick up the unit after hours.   :thumb:

The first tracks I played were from Diana Krall (various CDs), and I immediately noticed improvements from my prev DAC,  In comparison, the EE is open and airy, and subtle passages show greater detail.

The unit looks fantastic and appears to be very well built.  Also, the small size is great as it fits perfectly on the shelf next to the SB3.  The controls are very tight and have a quality feel when operated.  The LED lights are visible in a well lighted room, and yet not too bright when the room is dark (a complaint I have had with many prior audio components, including the EE CDP).  One complaint is the on/off button - you need to push it in firmly or it turns off again when you retract our finger. 

It also plays both music and movie DVDs (prev DAC did not), which is great news for me as I recently purchased the new Oppo BDP-83 and did not opt for the SE version.  Since I am only using two channels for my HT, the EE DAC eliminates the need to upgrade to the SE, nearly paying for itself on day one.   :thumb:

doctorcilantro

« Reply #242 on: 18 Feb 2010, 04:16 pm »
We'll be conducting a DAC shootout in a few weeks; enough time for the EEDAC to break-in:

Cambridge Audio DacMagic
Benchmark DAC
Cary Exciter DAC
EE DAC  :thumb:
Maverick Audio DAC
Peachtree Nova (possibly)

plus any others we can round up!

DC

roscoeiii

« Reply #243 on: 18 Feb 2010, 04:45 pm »
Look forward to the DAC comparisons. Especially if you can compare the EE and Peachtree implementation of the Sabre...

doctorcilantro

« Reply #244 on: 18 Feb 2010, 04:54 pm »
Look forward to the DAC comparisons. Especially if you can compare the EE and Peachtree implementation of the Sabre...

Well, I'm selling my Peachtree as I have no need for the amp anymore, so I'll be sure to compare them myself asap before it sells.

DC

Gopher

« Reply #245 on: 18 Feb 2010, 06:13 pm »
Grrr.  I'm trying to track my package to see if it will make it here for the weekend, but UPS doesn't have an estimated delivery date or even the delivery address in their computers yet...   

The said the shipper never provided billing information or some crap. 

UPS, ftl!  They've got the consistently lamest excuses.

John151

« Reply #246 on: 18 Feb 2010, 07:39 pm »
Hey, I started a thread on the EE DAC in the Critics Circle: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=77901.new#new.

This thread is getting really long, and is more about ordering than reviews.   So, please post your reviews in the new thread. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #247 on: 18 Feb 2010, 07:48 pm »
Great idea

doccilantro's shootout would probably be best discussed there or in its own thread too, as this is an Industry Ad thread...

aloft

« Reply #248 on: 19 Feb 2010, 02:18 pm »
Hey Bill,

just noticed your new ad on audiogon, quoting US$ 850 instead of 750 I was prepared to pay once the first serious reviews were in. Too bad I didn't take advantage of the introductory offer.  :duh:

Cheers M.

srb

« Reply #249 on: 19 Feb 2010, 02:48 pm »
...just noticed your new ad on audiogon, quoting US$ 850 instead of 750 I was prepared to pay once the first serious reviews were in.

Since that is what was originally stated, it might be a good idea to honor that for AC members for a limited time period.

Steve

Gopher

« Reply #250 on: 19 Feb 2010, 02:57 pm »
I got the impression that this project ran over budget and Bill forgot to update that price after the design was finalized. 

It would definitely be nice of him to honor it, but I can't imagine there is much of a profit margin on these units as is... 

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #251 on: 19 Feb 2010, 03:15 pm »
I got the impression that this project ran over budget and Bill forgot to update that price after the design was finalized. 

It would definitely be nice of him to honor it, but I can't imagine there is much of a profit margin on these units as is...

Don't forget, these are made in China.  The cost line may be lower than you think (vs a unit manufactured in US of A).  I'm sure EE has gotten their $numbers lined up right.  Again, that (profitability) also depends on their projected volume.  We can safely assume that for $850 they have a comfortable "headroom" per unit at least, before the sunk costs are figured in.  :drool:

roscoeiii

« Reply #252 on: 19 Feb 2010, 03:20 pm »
Or this Audiogon price may just reflect the added expense of air shipping the first batch (fingers crossed).

tubesound

« Reply #253 on: 19 Feb 2010, 03:31 pm »
I think I'll wait for the MKII version (If there will be one). That solid state output is just a waste of money and I'm bothered the volume control cannot be bypassed. It'd be nice they can add another tube ...

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #254 on: 19 Feb 2010, 03:49 pm »
Or this Audiogon price may just reflect the added expense of air shipping the first batch (fingers crossed).

You hit the nail on the head, they will sell for $750 plus shipping but the Audiogon ad took into account the Air freight of $72 to get them here as soon as possible and the customs fee that I didn't think I would have to pay per unit.

All the AC members that preordered received a screaming deal and those that opted for the Air Freight only paid the additional $72 that it cost me, nothing added on.  I didn't add the customs dutie fees on because I hold up my end of the bargain on the price that I quoted here. :thumb:

Hope that clarifies all my costs to you.

Thanks,
 Bill

srb

« Reply #255 on: 19 Feb 2010, 03:59 pm »
Bill,

When do you expect to have stock that will ship from your place of business?

Steve

Audioclyde

« Reply #256 on: 19 Feb 2010, 04:00 pm »
Bill (& those with more understanding of these things than me, which likely includes about everyone following this thread  :o): 

I understand that the EE dac's USB input will be limited to 48k, but I'm trying to get a grip on why so many USB inputs are limited (given the chip's ability to handle higher res.)---so my question is what is the reason/rationale for the lower res limit for USB input?

I will be eager to read more in-depth reviews of the DAC, as I'm very interested!

Thanks,

Randy

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #257 on: 19 Feb 2010, 04:45 pm »
Bill,

When do you expect to have stock that will ship from your place of business?

Steve

Hi Steve,

I have them in stock at my place now. Those who decided to have them Air freighted in,they have already been sent theirs by me. I had some extra ones Air shipped in and offered to all the option of the extra Air Freight charge to be paid for those who preordered but some wanted to wait for the slow boat from China as the extra $72 was not worth it to them to have early for whatever reason.
 One customer told me he didn't care if it came by Sailboat under wind power. :lol:

Kindest Regards,
 Bill

srb

« Reply #258 on: 19 Feb 2010, 04:53 pm »
...but some wanted to wait for the slow boat from China as the extra $72 was not worth it to them to have early for whatever reason.

That's what i was referring to.  When will "slow boat" inventory be available to send out?  Thanks!

Steve

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #259 on: 19 Feb 2010, 05:01 pm »
That solid state output is just a waste of money and I'm bothered the volume control cannot be bypassed.
So far as the volume control, I offered Bill the same suggestion -- that it would be nice if we could bypass it with a jumper if we're running a pre-amp.  I decided that wasn't a show stopper for me, so I ordered one anyway.

And although I'm a tube head, surprisingly I prefer the SS output over the tube output on my Cary CDP, at least in my current set-up. 

Steve (srb), if you look back earlier in the thread, I seem to recall Bill giving some idea of how long it will be before the boatload might arrive. 

Bob