Eastern Electric DAC

Gopher

Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #160 on: 30 Dec 2009, 02:59 pm »
Bill & Alex - Thanks for the update. 

Regarding the schedule, my preference is for you guys to take your time and perfect the design!

+1  please don't mistake my curiosity for impatience.  I was just wondering where things were standing. 

Very excited, Alex & Bill!

PeteG

« Reply #161 on: 4 Jan 2010, 01:45 am »
I'm in too and please take your time. I’ve never heard a Dac or player using the Sabre 32bit ES9018 chip, but was thinking of getting an Oppo BDP-83SE player but thought this Dac would work out better for me.

Audioclyde

« Reply #162 on: 4 Jan 2010, 02:28 am »
I've been lurking and following this thread with great interest; did I miss it or was the question of whether the USB would be asynch or synch answered?

Thanks,

Randy

srb

« Reply #163 on: 4 Jan 2010, 03:27 am »
I'm pretty sure it was answered that USB input would be synchronous (adaptive) and accept 16bit/48KHz.

Steve

roscoeiii

« Reply #164 on: 9 Jan 2010, 11:23 pm »
Now that I'm close to being able to afford it, I wondered if the original pre-order price deadline still applied or if it is still possible to get the DAC at the introductory price.

Looking forward to the units shipping and hearing it and/or others' impressions of it.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #165 on: 11 Jan 2010, 02:23 am »
I will extend the preorder price until the end of the month of January.

Hope that helps,
 Bill

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #166 on: 11 Jan 2010, 02:53 pm »
I'm in too and please take your time. I’ve never heard a Dac or player using the Sabre 32bit ES9018 chip, but was thinking of getting an Oppo BDP-83SE player but thought this Dac would work out better for me.

I read about the Buffalo DAC using the same DAC chip, and has received raves.  I hope this EE DAC is even better.  The price is certainly attractive enough vs. just the kit(s) for the Buffalo.  Regardless, performance is what we go after, regardless of price (within limits$).  Seems that Morningstar (Alex) is serious about putting out a lot of bang for the buck.  May be many audio fanatics (this word is used in a positive manner, not meaning to be derogatory) WILL have a very happy new year because of this.   :thumb:

PeteG

« Reply #167 on: 12 Jan 2010, 02:30 am »
I couldn’t help myself and have an Oppo BDP-83SE coming at the end of the week. I too hope the EE DAC is special, can’t wait. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #168 on: 12 Jan 2010, 02:47 am »
Well PeteG,

I hope we can look forward to your comparison of the Eastern Electric DAC and the BDP-83 DAC someday.

tubesound

« Reply #169 on: 13 Jan 2010, 05:32 pm »
Bill & Alex:

Any update on estimated delivery date of the first batch of DACs? Any finalized specs? Some pictures would be nice.

Thanks.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #170 on: 13 Jan 2010, 08:08 pm »
Bill & Alex:

Any update on estimated delivery date of the first batch of DACs? Any finalized specs? Some pictures would be nice.

Thanks.

I thought somewhere in this thread Alex had mentioned that they've finished the design/finetuning phase.  Soooo, it should be in production right now (Bill had also indicated that they're giving a push also to keep up with the original target dates).  Let's hope distributiion here in the States will be around th eend of February?  :duh:

Audioclyde

« Reply #171 on: 13 Jan 2010, 10:03 pm »
Bill &/or Alex:

First, let me add my thanks for your remarkable patience and receptiveness throughout the design process and all the 'suggestions' in this thread  :icon_lol:!!  Now, would it be possible to basically have a response here that sets forth the features, etc. of the DAC as has been finally (hopefully for your sake  :D) determined, such as inputs, input switching, volume control, tube/tube types, etc.?

I've perused all the pages of this thread more than once, and honestly I'm not exactly sure where these things ended up, and I'm thinking it might be helpful for potential buyers (i.e. me) to have it all consolidated in one place.

If this info already exists somewhere and I've missed it, please feel free to just point me at it!

Thanks!

Randy

roscoeiii

« Reply #172 on: 14 Jan 2010, 07:42 pm »
An interesting note on inputs to the ESS Sabre Chip from the DAC comparison being reported on in the GR Circle:

The 32 bit buffalo DAC kit was also very good. It was running on batteries. The fiber optic from the Mac Mini sounded okay but when we plugged it in using the Ridge Street Audio Alethias USB cable, the performance across the board went up a significant amount. I have no problem recommending it as well.

And in a later post (again by Danny, the moderator):

Yeah, it uses the same chip set. Everything else could be different. If we had just stuck with the fiber optic input then it wouldn't have fair well against the others. Using the USB (I think I2S input) was a completely different story.

I was surprised to hear this, with all the talk about the much-lauded jitter reducing properties of the ESS Sabre chip.

Alex, what is your experience with the effects of different inputs on the Eastern Electric DAC?

Anyone else come across similar comments about DACs with the ESS Sabre chip? Or any impressions from others who have heard the chip implemented?

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #173 on: 15 Jan 2010, 12:16 am »
Hi Guys,

I just heard from Alex so he will be posting probably later today when he wakes up but the prototype DAC is sounding very good right now and he is happy with all the work that has gone into it.He asked that we give him a few more days to tweek it all out ,swapping some different caps he wants to try before final assembly begins with the order.Needless to say I'm excited :thumb: :D
 The engineers had a few problems along the way as the chip is so new but all has been worked out. Thank the Good Lord above! :thumb:
 Alex will tell you all about the DAC and its features.
 Thank you all for your patience and your orders.
Bill

aloft

« Reply #174 on: 16 Jan 2010, 06:14 am »
I am getting excited, only a few more weeks!! I had a look at computeraudiophile.com. Most noteworthy DACs of late are being built to a higher price point. There's not that much around in the 500-750 US$ price range, where I draw the line, personally. I sure hope the EE will deliver the goods.  :thumb:

Gopher

« Reply #175 on: 21 Jan 2010, 07:40 pm »
Any word on that final tweaking Alex? 

Its very exciting that its coming along smoothly.

doctorcilantro

« Reply #176 on: 21 Jan 2010, 07:44 pm »
Anyone know of a passive remote controlled attenuator that doesn't cost 4K (cough * Weiss).

Can't wait to check this DAC out.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #177 on: 21 Jan 2010, 07:48 pm »
Anyone know of a passive remote controlled attenuator that doesn't cost 4K (cough * Weiss).

Can't wait to check this DAC out.

http://doddaudio.com/BatteryPoweredTubeBufferPreamp.aspx

doctorcilantro

« Reply #178 on: 21 Jan 2010, 07:52 pm »
thanks Jason.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #179 on: 21 Jan 2010, 07:55 pm »