Eastern Electric DAC

doctorcilantro

Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #140 on: 16 Dec 2009, 02:46 am »
I'm in. Picking up a HiFace or Musiland as a transport so I can use BNC.

ajayrav

« Reply #141 on: 16 Dec 2009, 03:56 am »
I'm in too....Will probably replace my Musical Fidelity quad stack in my main rig.  The MF set-up will then be used in a headphone only rig.   aa aa aa

Firefly

« Reply #142 on: 16 Dec 2009, 10:00 am »
Quote from: bravophase

Cut frequency, do you mean the frequency response ? It is planned based on at least 20HZ-20KHZ(?3DB), but it is still at the tuning stage and the final figures will be confirmed soon. LPF cannot be user programed.
PS for the chips is 317/337. Just FYI, the PS for the output tube is discrete aa

Cheers !

Alex

Yes, frequency response. Only 20Hz-20kHz? Extend that range, ad least double it. Reason for that is associated with phase and human ear, search Google  :icon_lol:

317/337 regulators?  :duh: Go discrete, each supply pin should have its own low noise regulator. No offence, but with monolithic regulators this DAC is same category as any other 100$USD chinese DAC on Ebay

Into this price range, anything less less than proper shunt regulator for tube output is no no. Shunt reg for heater supply too.

srb

« Reply #143 on: 16 Dec 2009, 03:36 pm »
Now I understand why dB Audio Labs and NuForce don't like to release details of their circuitry.

Steve

mcullinan

« Reply #144 on: 16 Dec 2009, 04:04 pm »
Pink knobs, it MUST have pink knobs!
M

bravophase

« Reply #145 on: 16 Dec 2009, 04:10 pm »
Quote from: bravophase

Cut frequency, do you mean the frequency response ? It is planned based on at least 20HZ-20KHZ(?3DB), but it is still at the tuning stage and the final figures will be confirmed soon. LPF cannot be user programed.
PS for the chips is 317/337. Just FYI, the PS for the output tube is discrete aa

Cheers !

Alex

Yes, frequency response. Only 20Hz-20kHz? Extend that range, ad least double it. Reason for that is associated with phase and human ear, search Google  :icon_lol:

317/337 regulators?  :duh: Go discrete, each supply pin should have its own low noise regulator. No offence, but with monolithic regulators this DAC is same category as any other 100$USD chinese DAC on Ebay

Into this price range, anything less less than proper shunt regulator for tube output is no no. Shunt reg for heater supply too.

I understand and thanks for your kind advices and comments. My work is based on real work and not paper and or rumor. My goal is always to make the best sounding gears. The final FR will go beyond this 20Hz - 20KHz.
Don't worry, I know exactly what I am doing and EE is not just another Chinese made DAC on ebay or anywhere else. Lets judge the sound by the real machine.

Cheers !

Alex

Jon L

« Reply #146 on: 16 Dec 2009, 07:45 pm »
Now I understand why dB Audio Labs and NuForce don't like to release details of their circuitry.

Steve

:rotflmao:

pardales

« Reply #147 on: 16 Dec 2009, 08:42 pm »
Pink knobs, it MUST have pink knobs!
M

:lol:

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #148 on: 17 Dec 2009, 04:29 am »
Thank you Alex, for bringing a touch of the Light into the mix.

Thanks to all who have helped from concept to market.We  thought we would try to bring what we could under a certain price point. I believe we have. For those who wanted more, we'll keep trying in future products.

Blessings,
 Bill

bravophase

« Reply #149 on: 17 Dec 2009, 06:11 am »
Dear All,

The other engineers and I have consulted and we are still doing some
fine adjustments to meet what we call musicality,when we have finalized
all the variables that we consider to be relevant and have listened to
adjust to the best possible sound possible, we will duplicate our
findings to bring to those who love music.

Cheers !

Alex

Gopher

« Reply #150 on: 21 Dec 2009, 08:59 pm »
Sounds good, Alex.  Are you still anticipating the first batch making it to the states by late January?

tamahome77

« Reply #151 on: 21 Dec 2009, 11:25 pm »
Can I still place an order or is it too late already?  I called in today but no one picked up the phone.  :cry:

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #152 on: 22 Dec 2009, 01:22 am »
 Tama,
sorry I missed your call.It probaly is better to call after the dinner hour central time.

Thanks,
 Bill

Gopher

« Reply #153 on: 29 Dec 2009, 05:54 pm »
How is this project coming along, Alex?

Any new updates?  I'm getting excited.

doctorcilantro

« Reply #154 on: 29 Dec 2009, 06:09 pm »
From what I heard things were pushed down the road a few weeks.

BTW - is this an NOS DAC? I know the Nova uses 24/96 direct into the Sabre chip rather than another chip which is needed to do 24/192 with the 9008 (although this will have the 9018).

Gopher

« Reply #155 on: 29 Dec 2009, 09:53 pm »
Hmm, what did you hear pushed it back?  More design changes or just the holidays and such?

bravophase

« Reply #156 on: 30 Dec 2009, 01:32 am »
Hi there, there is no more design changes. We are doing the very final fine tuning the DAC. It does get some delays due to quite some changes before as you have been reading the posts. However everything is going on very fine.

By the way, I am not sure what "NOS DAC" means.

Thanks.

Alex

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #157 on: 30 Dec 2009, 02:36 am »
Hi All,

When we first started on the DAC the tentative shipping date from Hong Kong was Jan 15th, with the changes implemented the date was pushed back probably 10-14 days as Alex had to make the extra changes. With that in mind it does take 18-21 days to arrive to the US by boat and another 5-7 days to clear customs and have them delivered to my office/warehouse.
 I know Alex has pushed the factory engineers to complete this project ASAP.So hopefully( I have my fingers crossed ) that the extra push might have the Jan 15th day in their site still.
 Hope that clarifies it all up a bit.
If you really need it sooner we might be able to provide Air shipment direct to your door but that is fairly expensive to ship that way and you would have to flip that bill. :cry:

Bill

Meicheng

Re: Eastern Electric DAC - Early Adopters
« Reply #158 on: 30 Dec 2009, 03:43 am »
I must admit I've read the entire thread and am pretty impressed by the patience and work put in by Bill and Alex to satisfy everyone.  My impression is they are pushing as much as humanly possible.  I have been contemplating this product along with the new Virtue Amps, and just have to wonder about the trade-offs of being an early adopter on any new audio product.  Everyone knows of a product that wasn't quite right when introduced and had to go thru a couple of iterations before getting it right.  Both this DAC with the SABRE chip/tube output and the Virtue Sensation tripath integrated have generated tons of buzz.  I know these guys have worked really hard, and I hope the products live up to everyones expectations.  While I'm watching these threads carefully, I am also a bit unsure about placing an order before I read/hear some real world feedback.  Would be interested to hear others take on this issue.   

John151

« Reply #159 on: 30 Dec 2009, 04:20 am »
Bill & Alex - Thanks for the update. 

Regarding the schedule, my preference is for you guys to take your time and perfect the design!