Eastern Electric DAC

HT cOz

Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #120 on: 11 Dec 2009, 03:00 pm »
Very nice looking DAC at a great price.  The Sabre 32 is the solution I would go with.  I think this will be a great seller.

richidoo

« Reply #121 on: 11 Dec 2009, 04:16 pm »
Alex, when you say analog volume control I think of an Alps potentiometer attenuating the full scale signal coming out of DAC chip. But then you say it will "still be using the volume control of the DAC" which is 256 step digital volume control which is adjusted by external microcontroller.  Which is it?

Maybe you mean the volume control of the whole DAC as a source component, and not the DAC chip. I think I misunderstood. Thanks

bravophase

« Reply #122 on: 12 Dec 2009, 02:40 pm »
Sorry for the confusion. I really mean the volume control for the analog signal after the DAC chip.

Cheers !

Alex

richidoo

« Reply #123 on: 12 Dec 2009, 02:46 pm »
OK, thanks!!!!

aloft

« Reply #124 on: 12 Dec 2009, 08:09 pm »
Hello all!

I know this is going to be very speculative at this point, but just by looking at the chip and technical specs of the forthcoming DAC, do you think it will hold its own against the stiff competition in the $1k range (Lavry, PS Audio, Benchmark, Apogee, Grace, Aqvox, Cambridge, Havana, ....). In other words - could the high quality Sabre chip be hampered by the unit's very competitive price point?

Different question: What would be the "best" method of feeding a signal - USB, Toslink? I am currently planning a modest music server / HT setup (feeding a Rowland amp) and might start out with an Airport Express with Toslink Out into DAC, hence the question.

Thanks!!!

srb

« Reply #125 on: 12 Dec 2009, 08:32 pm »
I know this is going to be very speculative at this point, but just by looking at the chip and technical specs of the forthcoming DAC, do you think it will hold its own against the stiff competition in the $1k range (Lavry, PS Audio, Benchmark, Apogee, Grace, Aqvox, Cambridge, Havana, ....).
Yes.

In other words - could the high quality chip we hampered by the fact that the rest of the unit is built to a very competitive price point?
I think it could be hampered by a poor design or implementation around the chip, but not necessarily hampered because of it's lower price point.  Eastern Electric has delivered good designs on their previous analog products, hopefully this first attempt at a standalone digital DAC design will be good as well.  Most of the brands you mentioned, except for the Lavry and MHDT, are sold through retailers rather than direct, so there is added markup for those.

Different question: What would be the "best" method of feeding a signal - USB, Toslink? I am currently planning a modest music server / HT setup (feeding a Rowland amp) and might start out with an Airport Express with Toslink Out into DAC, hence the question.

If I get one, I will most likely use the BNC/RCA coaxial, as I don't want to be limited to 16bit/44.1KHz/48KHz through the USB input.  Normally, Toslink is not the most preferred input to a DAC, but there are a couple of thoughts on this.

First is the thought that transmission through wireless network packets of the Airport Express has reduced jitter, and second, if the "Patented Time Domain Jitter Eliminator" feature of the chip works as well as promised by ESS Tech, and perceived to work by adopters of the DIY Twisted Pear Buffalo DAC, the choice of input (except for the high resolution file limitation of the USB input as previously mentioned) may not matter much.

Steve

aloft

« Reply #126 on: 13 Dec 2009, 01:12 pm »
Thanks for answering my questions. I just started looking into DACs again, although I researched the topic back some 4 years ago, when the Benchmark had just come out. I tried out the Aqvox USB2 DA Mk1 back then, but in the end liked the sound of a stand-alone CDP (Berendsen CD1) better and dropped the whole idea of buildung a serious music server / streaming solution at the time.

Now I have an old Macbook G4 I'd like to retire to music/file/print server duties, transmit wirelessly to my stereo via Airport Express, control everything with my iPhone and use the Toslink out of the AE to feed a DAC in the sub 1k price range. Right now, from reading reviews of other contenders, and seeing how easily you can go up the ladder to 2k, 3k and beyond, I find the Eastern Electric an exciting prospect as it could bring price/performance to another level in its price range. I hope someone with experience with the Havana will review the Eastern Electric shortly after it's come out. The forthcoming Wadia 121 will be on my shortlist as well.

BTW: Do you guys know of any universal players (such as the Oppo BDP-83SE) that will offer great D/A-conversion if fed through their digital inputs?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2009, 06:23 pm by aloft »

Gopher

« Reply #127 on: 13 Dec 2009, 02:32 pm »
We're on the same page, aloft!

I don't see that name come up often enough!  I'm rocking a Berendsen CDP-1 myself as well which has staved off the desire to upgrade my digital for a very long time.  I'm not even hoping for an upgrade here, but more 'something that can hang' as I'm finding the music server approach to digital INFINITELY more convenient.  As good as the Berendsen sounds I just kinda found myself not using it over the year...

Ideally I'd like to trade in my Berendsen for something that would see usage in my system.  A matching Cain & Cain subwoofer, another analog upgrade, even just money in my pocket...

Its unfortunate popularity never took off more than it did.  The player was a giant in my opinion (murdered my G08, A308cr and heavily modified JD100A) but somehow flew under the radar which will undoubtedly hurt resale.

aloft

« Reply #128 on: 13 Dec 2009, 06:17 pm »
One heck of a CDP indeed. I never understood its lack of success both in Germany and beyond. I particularly enjoyed playing with different DAC chips, as recommended by Mr. Sven Berendsen himself. Maybe you should give that a try as well. I don't see why you should sell yours even if you're moving towards a music server. It's a good point of reference for any other source you might audition in the future (esp. DACs).

You're right about its depreciating value - it's unfortunate that some companies simply aren't able to find enough media exposure or aren't clever enough to use viral marketing strategies through news forums like AC.

Gopher

« Reply #129 on: 13 Dec 2009, 07:51 pm »
Well--I already ripped my entire cd collection (as well as quite a few loaners) to lossless and am planning to clear my mess of CDs out of the listening room permanently and into storage so I really can't think of a legitimate reason to need the CDP around.

Are you saying you rolled the chips in the CD player?  How easy to do was this?  Any soldering required?  Can you shoot me more information on this as I am intrigued.

I've got limited money for the audio hobby so rather I don't really like to see equipment sitting idle in my system, but I am pretty torn on what to do with this CD player...  If I could recoupe even $1200 of it, I'd probably upgrade from my Well Tempered Classic to a Well Tempered Reference immediately and put my full faith in Eastern Electric to have me covered digitial wise (as they do preamp/phonostage wise).

aloft

« Reply #130 on: 13 Dec 2009, 08:42 pm »
Gopher you got a PM.

pardales

« Reply #131 on: 13 Dec 2009, 09:27 pm »
Sorry, irrelevant comment.
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2009, 04:33 am by pardales »

aloft

« Reply #132 on: 14 Dec 2009, 05:40 pm »
Back to the original topic....could Alex or anyone in the know explain to me the benefit of using an non-defeatable, analogue potentiometer for volume control instead of the DAC's internal volume control? Doesn't the former typically degrade sound quality if not extremely well executed?

Just curious about the reasoning... Thanks!
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2009, 10:44 pm by aloft »

koiman

« Reply #133 on: 14 Dec 2009, 10:32 pm »
I pulled the trigger today on the new Dac. I sure hope it is as good as many think it will be..
 :)
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2009, 11:39 pm by koiman »

Firefly

« Reply #134 on: 14 Dec 2009, 11:22 pm »
Hi Jon,

After the low pass filter, the analog signal will be fed to the tube or ss amp stage by a selector switch.
Alex

What is cut frequency (-3dB)? Can LPF be user programed?
Tell more power supply to the chip. I hope it is discrete supply, not 7805 or 1117-3.3 crap for everything.

doctorcilantro

« Reply #135 on: 15 Dec 2009, 04:08 am »
I'd love to see 24/96 USB option, but I'm still interested. Currently using the NOVA with BNC mode (fed by EMU1616M).

Glad I stumbled across this thread!

And as much asI want to stick this at home on the hifi (where my Nova is), this will be part of my office headamp rig. Great work. Off to find those French RTC 12AU7s I buried somewhere!

DC

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #136 on: 16 Dec 2009, 12:42 am »
Hi DC,

I met a lovely gentleman by the name of Harley when I visited your area some 8 years ago when I first traveled the country trying to get the Eastern Electric MiniMax preamplifier off the ground. He also I believe was the upstanding member or he might have been president of the Tampa Bay Audio Society. Any chance you know him?
  Bill

bravophase

« Reply #137 on: 16 Dec 2009, 01:45 am »
Hi Jon,

After the low pass filter, the analog signal will be fed to the tube or ss amp stage by a selector switch.
Alex

What is cut frequency (-3dB)? Can LPF be user programed?
Tell more power supply to the chip. I hope it is discrete supply, not 7805 or 1117-3.3 crap for everything.

Cut frequency, do you mean the frequency response ? It is planned based on at least 20HZ-20KHZ(?3DB), but it is still at the tuning stage and the final figures will be confirmed soon. LPF cannot be user programed.
PS for the chips is 317/337. Just FYI, the PS for the output tube is discrete aa

Cheers !

Alex

pardales

« Reply #138 on: 16 Dec 2009, 01:51 am »
Back to the original topic....could Alex or anyone in the know explain to me the benefit of using an non-defeatable, analogue potentiometer for volume control instead of the DAC's internal volume control? Doesn't the former typically degrade sound quality if not extremely well executed?

bravophase

« Reply #139 on: 16 Dec 2009, 02:13 am »

Both types of VC can be made good sound if things are done right, I simply would like to go for analog VC this time. I trust my ears to tune for the best sound aa

Cheers !

Alex