Eastern Electric DAC

mumford

Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #100 on: 2 Dec 2009, 05:41 pm »
I've been tormenting over how to attach my devices and while I was originally determined to ditch my Squeezebox and go coaxial out of my computer to use itunes (genius), I'm now thinking of keeping my SB and linking that by coax, my ps3 (cd transport) by toslink and using USB to my computer...

I have the same setup really.  Here is my thinking, and I don't claim that it is the best.

PC via coaxial
PS3 via optical
squeezebox via coaxial and BNC/RCA adapter

I think if you have s/pdif coaxial out from the PC, you may consider using that instead of USB.

John151

« Reply #101 on: 4 Dec 2009, 01:14 am »

I have the same setup really.  Here is my thinking, and I don't claim that it is the best.

PC via coaxial
PS3 via optical
squeezebox via coaxial and BNC/RCA adapter

Can someone please explain the "coaxial and BNC/RCA adapter" connection to me? 

richidoo

« Reply #102 on: 4 Dec 2009, 06:47 pm »
"Coaxial" in this case means SPDIF over electrical cable, as opposed to SPDIF over optical TOSLINK cable.

RCA connectors are not the ideal 75 ohms that digital transmission prefers. BNC connectors are 75 ohm, designed to work with coaxial 75 ohm cable. BNC connectors can be used as a digital audio input on a DAC, but in order to connect the DAC to a transport with RCA digital output, an adapter is needed. Impedance variation from 75 ohms can result in reflections and smearing of the digital signal which affects the sound of some DACs. The Sabre32 DAC doesn't care.

srb

« Reply #103 on: 4 Dec 2009, 07:06 pm »
Alex,

What will be the indicator for the input selection?

Some DACs that do have both an RCA and a BNC S/PDIF input are implemented as a single input, not selectable between them and not intended for use simultaneously.  Is that the same approach here?

Steve

bravophase

« Reply #104 on: 6 Dec 2009, 02:41 pm »
Alex,

Some DACs that do have both an RCA and a BNC S/PDIF input are implemented as a single input, not selectable between them and not intended for use simultaneously.  Is that the same approach here?

Steve

Hi Steve,

The BNC and RCA and is selectable between them, in this case you select only one of them to use at any time.

Cheers!

Alex

srb

« Reply #105 on: 6 Dec 2009, 03:13 pm »
Alex,

Alex,

I wanted to clarify my last question.  Originally when you were going to use automatic input selection, per your drawing you had a push selector button and a single USB LED above it.  Now that you are implementing manual selection, did you incorporate a row of LEDs to indicate which of the inputs (USB, coaxial, BNC, optical, AES/EBU) is selected?

Sorry for so many questions (at least we've kept bumping this topic to the top of the list!), but since it is not something we can see (at least for the pre-order round) this is the last piece of the puzzle to understand the operation.

Thanks,

Steve

bravophase

« Reply #106 on: 6 Dec 2009, 03:17 pm »
Alex,

Alex,

I wanted to clarify my last question.  Originally when you were going to use automatic input selection, per your drawing you had a push selector button and a single USB LED above it.  Now that you are implementing manual selection, did you incorporate a row of LEDs to indicate which of the inputs (USB, coaxial, BNC, optical, AES/EBU) is selected?

Sorry for so many questions (at least we've kept bumping this topic to the top of the list!), but since it is not something we can see (at least for the pre-order round) this is the last piece of the puzzle to understand the operation.

Thanks,

Steve
Hi Steve,

There will be a rotary switch to select the input.

Cheers !

Alex

srb

« Reply #107 on: 6 Dec 2009, 10:37 pm »
So how many inputs really are there, as it is disclosed that BNC and RCA is really only one input?

I actually took Alex's reply to mean they were separate inputs, individually selectable like all the others.

The BNC and RCA and is selectable between them, in this case you select only one of them to use at any time.

If that is the case there would be 5: RCA, BNC, Toslink optical, XLR (AES/EBU) and USB.

But I may be wrong, the wording was slightly confusing.

Steve

mumford

« Reply #108 on: 6 Dec 2009, 10:41 pm »
Thanks srb for your help.  After rereading Alex's reply a couple times, I arrived at the same conclusion and deleted my question.

pardales

« Reply #109 on: 7 Dec 2009, 04:37 am »
Can we get a final run down of features, maybe a pic (or updated drawing) and a final date for pre-order/shipping?

thanks,

bravophase

« Reply #110 on: 7 Dec 2009, 04:11 pm »
Hi there, I guess the drawing should answer your questions aa

Gopher

« Reply #111 on: 7 Dec 2009, 05:52 pm »
Very nice!  Black faceplate for sure or is silver an option? 

I want in on the first batch either way, just curious if it'll match my other EE gear.

richidoo

« Reply #112 on: 7 Dec 2009, 06:03 pm »
Very pretty Alex!

mumford

« Reply #113 on: 9 Dec 2009, 03:23 am »
Alex,

Are you using a 80mHz clock?  If not, would the PCB allow us to experiment by adding one?

bravophase

« Reply #114 on: 10 Dec 2009, 08:11 am »
Alex,

Are you using a 80mHz clock?  If not, would the PCB allow us to experiment by adding one?
It is a 80MHz clock :D

pardales

« Reply #115 on: 10 Dec 2009, 08:39 am »
Was there ever a final statement about the volume control being analog or digital?

bravophase

« Reply #116 on: 10 Dec 2009, 08:51 am »
Was there ever a final statement about the volume control being analog or digital?
The volume control is an analog one :wink:

tamahome77

« Reply #117 on: 10 Dec 2009, 10:04 am »
Any comments on the sound of this DAC?  aa  I hope it won't have any emphasis on the upper treble/peakiness.

pardales

« Reply #118 on: 10 Dec 2009, 01:36 pm »
The volume control is an analog one :wink:

Thanks. If one is using an integrated amp, and will not be using the volume control on the DAC, is the volume control of the DAC out of the way in a particular position? Smooth turning or steps?

bravophase

« Reply #119 on: 10 Dec 2009, 02:50 pm »
One wil still be "using" the volume control of the DAC. It will be a smooth turning one. You will find the best sounding position of the VC for your integrated amp.

Cheers !

Alex