Salkstream III gone on network.

Caustic Casey

• "All government, of course, is against liberty.."
    • causticcasey.com
Salkstream III gone on network.
« on: 29 Mar 2024, 04:19 pm »
Changed internet providers.  Plugged the stream directly into new router.  Read the manual… as before.  The Salkstream is nowhere to be found.
I feel I’ve lost all options…..

Phil A

Re: Salkstream III gone on network.
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2024, 05:37 pm »
Changed internet providers.  Plugged the stream directly into new router.  Read the manual… as before.  The Salkstream is nowhere to be found.

Don't know if the below helps?

https://www.comparitech.com/net-admin/find-network-devices/

Also try Restarting everything (Modem, Router, PC, Streamer, etc.)

newzooreview

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2024, 07:57 pm »
Have you tried another device plugged into the exact same ethernet port on that new router? Using the same ethernet cable?

It sounds like the new router may not be issuing a local IP address to the Salkstream.

When you say "nowhere to be found" does that mean you have opened the web interface for the new router and the new router is not showing the Salkstream in its list of connected devices?

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2024, 04:18 pm »

What is likely the cause is that the StreamPlayer's Linux keeps a record of the IP address the original router assigned.  Since you have a new router, it wants to assign an IP address on its own.  So when the StreamPlayer requests its previous IP address, the new router does not recognize it and doesn't assign a new address.

To solve this issue, you will need to hook up a monitor and keyboard to the StreamPlayer.  When you fire it up, you should end up with a prompt.  Enter the username and password from the original documentation.  Once logged in, run the following command:  "sudo ip addr" (without the quotes).  This should result in a list.  Note the item after "2:"  It will be something like "eno1" or "enp3s0" or similar.  Write this down.

Now run the following command:  "sudo dhcpcd -k <NIC>" (without the quotes).  Replace <NIC> with the results you wrote down above.  This will release the IP address currently stored on the unit.  Then run the command: "sudo dhcpcd <NIC>" again replacing <NIC> with the same network interface you wrote down earlier.  This should result in the new router assigning a new IP address to the unit. 

It should then be back to normal.

If you have any quesitons, let me know.

- Jim