Some more progress on my Teres project

JoshK

« on: 10 Jun 2003, 03:42 am »
This could go in the lab or in vinyl but I will put it here.   Pracrastination paid off when I got some cool ideas on how to build my Teres table by examining Chris' new 3XX table construction.   I decided to make pillars full of lead shot as well using 3" PVC, dowels and some 5/16" treaded rods. Took a while and was a PITA with the lead shot as I sprung a hole but patched it up calking style.  :wink:

I intend to paint and polish the base board piano black (or high gloss anyway) and I will likely veneer the plinth. I took a few pictures along the way and put them in my gallery.  I have a new sub gallery dedicated to these pictures.

JohnR

« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2003, 08:42 am »
Ooo very nice!

My base got tossed when I moved overseas. Need to get it restarted :oops: Thinking about a three-layer plywood thingy, with the middle layer cut out and filled with sand.

This could go in the lab or in vinyl but I will put it here.

Or in the Teres circle!  :idea:

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2003, 12:41 pm »
pictures....

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2003, 06:50 am »
Quote from: JoshK
pictures....

Is that first picture....Beluga ? :lol:

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2003, 03:56 pm »
Lonewolf,

These are essentially the first pictures I took as there wasn't really anything to look at before, although I did have the makings of the project on top of the TT stand I have pictured in my gallery.

FWIW, I am building an armpod out of the solid block on the right.  I am doing the same thing with it, putting columns of lead shot filled PVC under the pod and between the base.  I am going to bore a hole 90º through the back end for bolting in the arm and passing through the wiring. I intend to round the front and back of the block with semi circles. I will likely also fill some portion of the arm pod itself with lead and/or some other dampening material.  

This has been a very enjoyable project that I highly recommend for any vinyl enthusiast with a little time and patience.  It is fairly easy to do if one plans ahead.  I am looking forward to finishing it so that it looks pretty instead of now looking like a bunch of wood pieces stuck together.

The way I layed out the board leaves plenty of room for adding more arm pods down the road for different cart/arm setups.  I am thinking something along the lines of a Moerch UP-1 and a low output Allaert cart.

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2003, 03:27 pm »
Got the RB300 mounted on the armboard last night.  Man oh man is this a fun and addicting project.   Seems like I was working for 15 minutes and the wife said well you were doing your thing for the last 3 hours so no wonder it is late.

Marbles

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jun 2003, 03:37 pm »
Josh, that is very nice looking.

What are you goint ot use as a platter?

have you thought about veneering the PVC to match?

JoshK

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jun 2003, 03:45 pm »
I have thought about a few solutions to the PVC ugliness.  One is to make a skirt that will got around the base of the plinth to the base board.  Second choice is to paint the PVC black or veneer it.  I have some gorgoeous veneer that I intend to use on the armboard and plinth. The base board I intend to paint polished black. This should hopefully add to the visual appeal.

Tonto Yoder

Bendable veneer
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jun 2003, 05:50 pm »
http://www.ultrawood.com/productinfo.htm

I've seen veneer that was so thin you could roll it up almost like thick paper.  Don't know if you could get a small amount cheap.

beat

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jun 2003, 07:34 pm »
Hey Josh,
Good job! Looks great. I'm getting ready to start mine too. For my arm board and motor pod I'm using aluminum tube cut into 6" sections or so. Like your pvc, but capped with a round plate. It is dirt cheap at a place out here. If you are interested I could hook you up with the metal look.

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jun 2003, 08:09 pm »
Beat,

I would be very interested...pm me.  My design isn't permanent, I can always change the PVC for aluminum or whatever because I made the whole thing so that is could be taken apart to work on it, etc.

Robert,

To answer your question, a very kind hearted AC member is making me a platter out of acrylic.