decent/audiophile dac for nuforce p9

daspaceman

decent/audiophile dac for nuforce p9
« on: 14 Dec 2010, 08:48 pm »
I`m waiting for a nuforce 9 preamp to arrive by post. I wondered what is a good matching DAC form my squeezebox flac files? I looked into some nuforce DACs but they look like "toys". Are they any good, audiophile grade?
If not what good DAC boxes are a good match for Nuforce gear?
Speakers are Proac Response D2
Reagrds,
Kevin .

John Casler

Re: decent/audiophile dac for nuforce p9
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2010, 09:03 pm »
I`m waiting for a nuforce 9 preamp to arrive by post. I wondered what is a good matching DAC form my squeezebox flac files? I looked into some nuforce DACs but they look like "toys". Are they any good, audiophile grade?
If not what good DAC boxes are a good match for Nuforce gear?
Speakers are Proac Response D2
Reagrds,
Kevin .

Hi Kevin,

While no date has been released as yet, it is anticipated that the new DAC-9 will be coming after the first of the year.

If that is so, and you can wait a bit, then it should be worth waiting.

In the mean time, the ICON uDAC 2 ($129) could fill in for use with your squeezebox.

daspaceman

« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2010, 09:09 pm »
Thanks for the prompt answer..
I`m currently using a rotel rsp1069 as an av processor and dac for the squeezebox.
Will a squeezebox + the Icon uDac  be an upgrade to  my current squeezebox + rotel DAC. I think the rotel sits somewhere in the middle between an entry level DAC like the Udac, and the DAC9.

Am i right?

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2010, 10:40 pm »
Thanks for the prompt answer..
I`m currently using a rotel rsp1069 as an av processor and dac for the squeezebox.
Will a squeezebox + the Icon uDac  be an upgrade to  my current squeezebox + rotel DAC. I think the rotel sits somewhere in the middle between an entry level DAC like the Udac, and the DAC9.

Am i right?

Since I am not familiar with that AVR, or its sound, I wouldn't be able to tell you.

Since the uDAC is purposed for 2 channel audio, and is a "direct" path and newer component, I doubt it is below the Rotel chipset, but how much difference you would hear between the two, I can't say.

I anticipate the DAC-9 will offer the real improvement that (depending on the resolving power of your system) you will be able to clearly hear.

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2010, 10:55 am »
Kevin
I have the P9 and 9V3SE amps and use a Trasnporter not a SB. I just purchased the Eastern eletric mini max DAC for ~$750. You can read about it on the AC forum. It has the new Sabre chip and has both SS and tube output and it blows the Transporter away. Morningside Audio (Bill) is the vendor and a great guy to work with. I would strongly recommend it

daspaceman

« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2010, 04:51 pm »
Hi david...  nice DAC! I`m going to check who can send it to my country (malta/europe)
Thanks for your help!

giannettino

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2010, 06:48 pm »
Hi..if you are in EU..take a look to the Rockna RD-2 , little "toy"..but really great sound..and  cheap of course..around 250€.. :thumb: :thumb:

Just for your info.. I have P9 and Ref9V3SE....I've used the RD2 both with a "classic" transport and with a PC based systemm
Ciao!!

daspaceman

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2010, 07:32 pm »
That`s really cheap... i`ll look into the Rockna RD-2 as well!
Is it your primary DAC in your system? Have you compared other DACs to it?

Thanks

giannettino

« Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2010, 10:28 am »
My main digital sources are quite unusuals..I have a Modded SACD sony XB940 and a Heavy modded Echo Audiofire 2 for "liquid" music..(Check at http://www.aurionaudio.it/Galleria%20foto%2016.htm and http://www.aurionaudio.it/Galleria%20foto%2013.htm)I've purchased the dac years ago...i like the sound of this little jewel..my friends too..So..i suppose you too can be happy..at least until Nuforce release a "super dac"..BTW i 've listened the Cd player Nuforce, The Oppo Nuforce and many many others..My idea? Buy the rockna..but be patient they are slloooowwwww

As usual..sorry for my poor English :oops:

daspaceman

« Reply #9 on: 20 Dec 2010, 10:34 am »
grazzie Giannettino..

Il tuo inglese e` molto bene :)

Do you know the difference between the rockna 2 and 3 ? Which is best? they cost the same price!

giannettino

« Reply #10 on: 20 Dec 2010, 11:01 am »
Go for RD-2...I haven't tried the RD-3..but i dont like the "Zero oversamplig" sound..By the way..usiing a cheap interface like the musiland you can test the dac with Hi Rez program played via PC.. :thumb:
Ciao!

daspaceman

« Reply #11 on: 20 Dec 2010, 09:26 pm »
Anyone compared the rockna rd-2 and the Eastern eletric mini max DAC?
The eastern electric costs three times as much as the rockna. Is it that good?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 30 Dec 2010, 04:13 pm »
Wait for our LONG delayed DAC-9, now aiming for late Feb shipping.