Hifi News Review

timothyharnett

Hifi News Review
« on: 1 Mar 2008, 01:31 pm »
Very interesting group test in Hifi News.  It's a group test.  The results are as follows for sound quality;

Trichord S300 (Hypex)  (£2400/$4800) 78%
Rotel RB1092 (Icepower) ((£1600/$3200) 75%
Channel Islands D100 (Hypex) (£1595/$3190)72%
Nuforce Ref 9 v2 (Nuforce) (£2300/$4600) 69%
Flying Mole MA-S160 (Flying Mole) (£1196/$2392) 66%

The prices are the ones quoted in the magazine for the UK; it's my rough conversion to US dollars - our prices include 17.5% sales tax.  I've added the manufacturer of the boards in brackets.  I've added the prices so you can see how the units compete in the UK market.

The speakers used for the review were B&W 802D.

These are the comments on the measurements.  I think Paul Miller did these.

"This proprietary 'self oscillating switching amplifier' achieves close to 165W/8ohm with 320W in to 4 ohm, but btcause its switch-mode PSU is impressively 'stiff', there's virtually no dynamic headroom - just 170W/310W/425W in to 8/4/2 Ohm.  Otherwise, the Reference 9 has a low 0.05Ohm output impedence and flatter response (+1dB at 30-40kHz falling to -2.5dB at 100  kHz) than specified in to 8 Ohm.  The response does vary with load impedence however.
Distortion also varies with load, frequency and power, between 0.16-0.031% through the midrange at 1-100W and up to 0.45% at 20kHz.  Noise is low and S/N ratio wide at 105dB re. 100W."

gman

Re: Hifi News Review
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2008, 01:49 pm »
What issue?

timothyharnett

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2008, 05:34 pm »
April 08.  Nuforce, CI, Trichord, Flying Mole & Rotel on the front cover.

Very well written review.  Don't particularly agree with the findings although I like the Trichord quite a lot having heard it in several Michell demos.  The Trichord is my favourite of the Hypex monoblocks.  He comments that he had problems initially using Nordost speaker cables and then had more success moving to DNM Reson.  My reading is that he scored the amps with the warmest coming out best.

The Preamp is the Music First TVC.
« Last Edit: 1 Mar 2008, 06:37 pm by timothyharnett »

Zero

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2008, 07:13 pm »
This may open myself up for nothing but sheer flaming, but I've got to say - using a passive pre amp in front of a class D almost never works out well....

A good line-stage tube pre like the Transcendent Ground Grid or Lamm LL2 Deluxe would be a *far* more ideal match up for this type of shoot out.

Albireo

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2008, 03:17 am »
This may open myself up for nothing but sheer flaming, but I've got to say - using a passive pre amp in front of a class D almost never works out well....

A good line-stage tube pre like the Transcendent Ground Grid or Lamm LL2 Deluxe would be a *far* more ideal match up for this type of shoot out.

For the Hifi News reviewer, definitely! In my experience, after running my Bel Canto DAC3 into my NuForces for the last six months, I am completely spoiled for any active preamp. In fact the only one I've been able to tolerate is the Placette passive. At the same time, NuForce's "honesty" makes it a superb partner for coloring with the preamp of your choice. I'm about to get a tubed preamp just for the fun of it: I don't really have to consider matching it to the NuForces, any more than I have to think about whether a particular whisky goes well with the water the ice cubes are made out of.

My reading is that he scored the amps with the warmest coming out best.

Same here.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2008, 10:56 am »
 :scratch:
We don't recommend using passive preamp.

darrenyeats

« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2008, 12:42 pm »
:scratch:
We don't recommend using passive preamp.
Out of curiosity...why? It seems to me the input impedance of the NuForce Reference 9 is an easy enough load for CD-type sources.
Darren

mcullinan

« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2008, 02:49 pm »
You could rearrange any of the working parts of all the systems and come out with different results. A group review doesnt really tell us that much because there is no constant.
Mike

Urwin

« Reply #8 on: 5 Mar 2008, 04:36 am »
any chance we can post the reviews on this site?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 5 Mar 2008, 08:20 pm »
I got an inside scope about what happened. I am trying to seek permission for the original reviewer to publish the original review. Stay tune.