Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD player

Charles Calkins

Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD player
« on: 15 Sep 2011, 11:36 pm »
Hi Guys:
 I bought one from crutchfield about a month ago. As far as a SACD/CD player goes I rate it as excellent. Especially at the price. One of the best I've had.
 The plus side of this player is the DAC. I bought a 32gb flash player and exported a playlist into it from iTunes. I am quite impressed with what I hear. Even though I know a flash drive is not "High End" as far as I'm concerned I don't think the sound can get much better. Marantz must have done a lot of research on which DAC to use in this player. They hit the nail on the head!!. Don't take my word for it. Hear it for yourself and I think you'll agree with me. One Hell of a player!!

Cheers
                                             Charlie

Poultrygeist

Re: Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD player
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2011, 12:12 am »
I would love to buy one if I could be assured it would be a significant upgrade over my old Rotel RCD-855 ( TDA 1541A DAC ). I also have a good many SACD jazz discs which I enjoy on a Sony SCD-CE595 changer.

I can probably get a good deal on one as my relative is a distributor but he would have to special order it.

decal

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2011, 12:22 am »
I would love to buy one if I could be assured it would be a significant upgrade over my old Rotel RCD-855 ( TDA 1541A DAC ). I also have a good many SACD jazz discs which I enjoy on a Sony SCD-CE595 changer.

I can probably get a good deal on one as my relative is a distributor but he would have to special order it.
I bought a refurbished Sony 595 for about sixty bucks from Sony Style. A lot of player for a little price,best bargain in hi-fi,IMHO. My primary SACD player is the Marantz SA8001 which is the predecessor of the SA8004, another bang for the buck player. Sorry for the temporary derail of your thread Charlie.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2011, 12:40 am »
I bought a refurbished Sony 595 for about sixty bucks from Sony Style. A lot of player for a little price,best bargain in hi-fi,IMHO. My primary SACD player is the Marantz SA8001 which is the predecessor of the SA8004, another bang for the buck player. Sorry for the temporary derail of your thread Charlie.

No problemo!! I'll be back!!

Cheers
                                    Charlie

ajayrav

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2011, 12:47 am »
I just received a Marantz SA8004 for my bedroom system.  This replaces a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic I was less than impressed with.  Plus it brings a CD/ SACD player to the mix.  I connected my Bolder modded Squeezebox Touch with a linear power supply to it using the coaxial connection and at first blush, I prefer it to the DACMagic quite a bit... I'm letting it break-in for a while before I do any more listening.  So far, I really like it. And as Charlie mentions, the DAC appears to really good.  More after break-in....

Poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2011, 12:58 pm »
decal,

how does your Marantz compare to your Sony 595 in SACD playback?

Ericus Rex

« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2011, 10:53 pm »
I got one of these about a year ago.  I just love it.  It was exactly what I was looking for in a player.  Sold my Oppo 83 SE to get it.  Absolutely no regrets.

decal

« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2011, 11:45 pm »
decal,

how does your Marantz compare to your Sony 595 in SACD playback?

The Marantz is hands down better all around. The Sony 595 is a fantastic player for the price but it doesn't hold a candle to the Marantz.