"FIRE"

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
"FIRE"
« on: 27 Apr 2012, 08:44 pm »
I have been hesitant to post this, but I couldn’t resist any longer and Frank, you do not have to tell me all the bad things going on here because I know all I am doing wrong, have been doing wrong and will continue to do wrong no matter what I am told or what damage to whatever I am causing!
I am posting this for 2 reasons,
1) To let other people know how rock solid, built like a tank your equipment REALLY is.
2) Just because it was cool and we can’t stop laughing about it!
FYI, I used to be jokingly the “Test” guy for a long ago defunct speaker manufacture here in Mpls because I blew everything they threw at me one way or another, mostly at parties which has not changed!
Every Friday my Mancave is open to many friends and a several Fridays ago a group of us were rocking out to Robert Gordon and Chris Spedding “Live at the Paradiso” and not long after the song “Fire” I look up and poof, my woofer is on fire! Flaming fire, it’s burning up!
I could not believe it, the woofer is on FIRE! I am laughing and freaking out at the same time! My friends were not surprised, they have been around me for too long!
Without thinking, I just rushed up to my speaker and slapped the fire with a rag and got it out! Yes I should have turned it down first, but no time, had to get the fire out! Got the fire out, disconnected the speaker, hooked up another speaker I had and rocked the night away!
Now let me give you some facts!
My Mancave is my garage, 24X18X9H, insulated, peg board walls, cement floor. A good size dead room and when you get a group of people, power is what it what it takes!
The speakers in my Mancave are 40 years old, well the woofers and cabinets are, original woofers (new foam surrounds) so that is 1 factor and they have been played very hard by multiple owners over the years. I just replaced the mid and tweets with new, better quality and the mid and tweet caps in the crossover. The old low frequency cap also blew in this one that burned up. Only $3 for a new cap and new woofers from Parts Express, $32, no big deal, it’s time anyways. New woofers and low frequency caps installed as of 4/13 and they are rocking again!
Now to my AVA equipment, I have a T-7 & a 350exr6 and if I would have left the 3 amp fuse in my 350exr, no fire, boring, and I got tired of replacing those longs ago! I went to a 5 amp, but same issue, long ago I replaced that with a much bigger fuse, I won’t say what size, let’s just say, I have no fuse, and I just don’t like the idea of my music going through a wire the size of a hair! And if I would have blew my amp, oh well, that would not be the 1st time I blew an amp either! Just would have been a bit more of a costly rocking evening!
Anyway, nothing, absolutely nothing happened to my AVA gear, still rocking out with no issues! So the statement "built like a tank" is an understatement!

:flame: Did someone yell “FIRE”!  :flame:

ajzepp

Re: "FIRE"
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2012, 10:20 pm »
 :duh:  lmao

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2012, 10:27 pm »
The Marines are looking for "A Few Good Men". You appear to fit the profile.

Doc

Æ

« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2012, 10:46 pm »
Awesome story, I would have paid to see that. I've killed many a driver, but never once caught one on fire. I'm assuming that the woofer cones were made of paper? One good reason not to have paper cones! My latest woofer purchase consisted of aluminum cones.
My stack-o-magnets was salvaged mostly from drivers that I've managed to blow/burn out.

Tom Alverson

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2012, 12:37 am »
Marty McFly: You know, Doc, you left your equipment on all week.

Dr. Emmett Brown: My equipment. That reminds me, Marty. You better not hook up to the amplifier. There's a slight possibility of overload.

Marty McFly: Yeah, I'll keep that in mind. »

Listens2tubes

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2012, 12:17 am »
 This is more in the Frankenstein's Lab style type of mancave. :icon_twisted: