Pre amp - Int amp

def_O

Pre amp - Int amp
« on: 28 Dec 2003, 03:45 am »
Sorry for the dumb ass Q but how do you wire up a pre amp to a int amp?

What's the input amp  - the int amp I guess but where do the speaker cables go and do you leave the int amp at full volume on the pot or on the pre amp> Ive only got a ss int amp at the moment but I qas going to buy a tume pre and int.

Thanks

JohnR

Pre amp - Int amp
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2003, 09:45 am »
Your sources (CD player etc) would connect to the tube preamp. Then, ideally, you would connect the output from the preamp into the power amp section of the integrated amp. From most to least desirable would be:

* The integrated has jumpers on the back that connect its internal preamp to its internal power amp. You remove the jumpers and connect the external preamp output to the power amp input jacks.

* The amp has a switch to disable the internal preamp, and a pair of input jacks to use when the switch is set (this is uncommon I think but my Plinius had it...)

* The integrated has a tape monitor input (one which isn't affected by the volume control). Connect the preamp output to the tap monitor input.

* Finally, connect the preamp output to one of the inputs (the CD input is probably the best bet, as some amps have additional gain on eg tuner input, which you don't want). On the integrated amp, select that input and set the volume all the way up.

Think I got all of them... Hope this helps :-)

def_O

Pre amp - Int amp
« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2003, 12:24 pm »
Thanks for the quick response John.

Does that mean I need double the interconnects? I s'pose if it does then from any given source to pre to int, they should be the same make/brand?

Can you mix cables though?

Or is it an actual electricity power cable that connects pre to int?

Also, I can't get my head around why the int amp should be at full volume if - as it were - it's being overridden by the pre?

Finally the two I has in mind (on the assumtion I'll get some kind of synergy) is the Norh SE9 tube int and the ACA 2B tube pre.

Again, apologies for the seeming lack of knowledge but this pre to int is a whole new ball game for me.

Just another quick question which bothers me. If you have two monoblocks, do they need another connection gadget with a pot and source switches on it connected to them? They seem a bit , er, sparse. God everyone's gonna think I'm a real thicko :oops:

Tonto Yoder

Pre amp - Int amp
« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2003, 01:25 pm »
Why are you thinking of BUYING a preamp to mate with an integrated amp???  If you buy a new preamp, you would normally buy a BASIC amp to mate with it. If you're interested in the Norh line, the Le Amp's would be the "logical" choice since they are basic amps.  To switch to a different company, Antique Sound Labs offers a tube basic amp, the Tulip, though it's considerably more than the Norh you're considering.
http://www.divertech.com/tulip.html
With the basic amp, there's just the inputs on the back panel and an on/off switch on the front.
One combination one AC member uses is the tube Aca with a pair of mono IRD's (the MB 100's)--
http://www.ird-thailand.com/products/mb100/mb100.htm

One connects a preamp from the preamp outs with ONE pair of interconnects to the input of the amp.

JohnR

Pre amp - Int amp
« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2003, 12:21 am »
Ah, I should read a little slower :oops: I thought the tube preamp would be used with an existing solid state integrated amp. Yes, if you're buying new, then you either need 1) an integrated amp, or 2) a preamp and a power amp. Monoblocks are just half a power amp, no more complicated than that :)

Can you mix cables though?

Sure. I'd start with the cheapies that come for free and replace them later when you have things settled in and some time to experiment.