Trilogy Valve Amp

aidy_is

Trilogy Valve Amp
« on: 30 Oct 2003, 05:48 pm »
Is there anybody out there who knows anything about Trilogy amps? I have been lucky enough to inherit a beautiful Trilogy 902 pre amp and a pair of 958 monoblocks. Apart from the fact they were made in England and are no longer manufactured I know next to nothing about them. Any info/spec would be greatly appreciated. And also, any suggestions on a nice speaker to complement it would also be welcomed. Cheers, Aidan :D

warnerwh

Trilogy Valve Amp
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2003, 02:47 am »
If you don't get an answer here then try over at audioasylum in the "tubes" section. Someone there will be familiar with them.

aidy_is

Trilogy Valve Amp
« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2003, 09:37 am »
Much appreciated, warnerwh.

Tonto Yoder

Trilogy Valve Amp
« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2003, 12:32 pm »
aidan,
did you see the Salvatore site??
http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Amplifiers.html
Scroll down a long ways to find:

"Trilogy 958 Triode Reference- This was an amplifier from England, which never had distribution in the U.S. Now it is discontinued and unobtainable. It is push-pull and uses EL-34 output tubes. In the recommended triode operation, it has around 60 watts per channel. Listening was done by one of my associates, who was so impressed that he ended up purchasing a pair. He has heard most, but not all of the amplifiers that are recommended in the highest classes. I have not heard them yet.

It has strengths in many areas including; superb highs, speed, dynamic shadings, immediacy, low-level musical retrieval and accurate tonality with body. It doesn’t get that last bit of directness that the best single-ended designs do, but it’s close. It works with a wide range of speaker loads, like the JA-80. The cost in England was around $7,500 for a pair. I have been told that the "secret" of this amplifier is its very unique output transformer.

According to my associate, this amplifier has Class B performance, and it was located there until recently. It still competes with the other Class B models, but it is essentially impossible to find, especially in North America, and no more will ever be made, so it has become more of a dream than a practical choice. For those fortunate enough to stumble on a rare pair of them, take immediate advantage of your luck, and don't let them go without checking them out."

aidy_is

Trilogy Valve Amp
« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2003, 03:33 pm »
thankingyou tonto, I've got enough info to get these little beauties up and running now!