Rev 3 TVC - Convert one RCA output to (balanced) XLR output

MattMax

I currently have a standard Promitheus Rev 3 TVC with 4 RCA inputs and 2 RCA outputs. My new mono blocks have an XLR input and I prefer to use a balanced signal due to cable length. I know that a TVC can convert a single-ended (RCA) input to a balanced output (not just XLR, but balanced XLR). See discussion in Bent audio forum. Instead of ordering a new balanced TVC, I would like to "upgrade" my current TVC

Is it possible to convert one pair of the RCA outputs to XLR by rewiring and thus achieve a balanced XLR output? Any ideas how to do that as a DIY project. I do not have much experience in this field, so all help is welcome. I also emailed Nicholas, but he seems to be a bit busy.

MattMax

Re: Rev 3 TVC - Convert one RCA output to (balanced) XLR output
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jul 2008, 07:53 pm »
I was a bit impatient and just received a reply from Nicholas. It is not possible to convert the RCA-only TVC to a balanced version, the transformers need to be specifically wound to make it balanced.
Anyone interested in a burned-in TVC (standard Rev3 with 4 RCA inputs and 2 RCA outputs)? Shipping from The Netherlands...

NewBuyer

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2008, 05:58 am »
Could you just put an input transformer (like from Jensen Transformers for example) between your TVC and amp? These are used to convert unbalanced to balanced line-level...

MattMax

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2008, 08:35 am »
Thanks for the advice. I have considered this option, but that would add additional components where a balanced TVC is perfectly suitable to acoomplish this task. I think I will order a balanced version from Nicholas and sell my current TVC to a fellow audio enthusiast to increase the count of "jaw-dropping experiences" of this TVC even more  :D