Best sound from a $4,000 CD Player or a $2,500 DAC + $1,500 Transport?

rockadanny

I will never be interested in streaming and am only interested in CD playback (Redbook + CD-ROM).
I have no specific gear in mind as of yet.
What do you think would sound best: A $4,000 CD Player or a $2,500 DAC + $1,500 Transport?
And would there be less risk of distortion/noise/jitter from a CD player than DAC + Transport (within stated budget)?

Rusty Jefferson

That's too bad as streaming ripped music CAN sound better than CDs but I acknowledge it adds another layer of annoyance.

In your situation I'd opt for the cheapest transport with a digital output you can find and buy the $4k dac and the best digital cable you can afford to connect them.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
I will never be interested in streaming and am only interested in CD playback (Redbook + CD-ROM).
I have no specific gear in mind as of yet.
What do you think would sound best: A $4,000 CD Player or a $2,500 DAC + $1,500 Transport?
And would there be less risk of distortion/noise/jitter from a CD player than DAC + Transport (within stated budget)?

I debated this very concern with myself, and decided on separates. I also agree with what Rusty Jefferson said. Settle for a slightly less expensive CDT (or try used?), and splurge on the DAC. It does make a difference. In my experience, a ~$4k DAC provides noticeably better SQ than a $2500 DAC.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
That's too bad as streaming ripped music CAN sound better than CDs but I acknowledge it adds another layer of annoyance.

In your situation I'd opt for the cheapest transport with a digital output you can find and buy the $4k dac and the best digital cable you can afford to connect them.

A PC with software like Foobar2000 that can play a CD directly and a very good DAC sounds better than any CD transport I have heard at any price.  If you do consider ripping, Exact Audio Copy is great for building the music library.  Then no more searching for the CD to play.

WGH

I'm totally biased but a new HoloAudio Spring 3 KTE NOS DAC ($3098) + Hapa Audio Aero Coax Cu ($799) + NAD C538CD ($399) will give you A+ Redbook sound, guaranteed.

dpatters

There is a Lab12 Reference DAC for 2600 and a Jays Audio CDT 2 MK 3 for 2300 on the TMR website. This would make a great combo for cd spinning. Don’t under estimate the difference a quality transport makes.

Don P.

Markwatkiss

The key to building an audio system is like success in life it’s all about balance.Having a balanced system will always provide you with a rich musical landscape.Definitely agree with the Jays Audio recommendation.

Early B.

Don’t under estimate the difference a quality transport makes.

Yep. Everything matters, especially your source. Split your $4K budget evenly among the two components. Jump on Jay's Audio.   

P.S. -- I have no interest in streaming, either, but use a digital streamer to store music files and access them via software and a tablet. The streamer replaced my CD transport and I get better sound. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
CD Transports can be used with various DACs for different sound flavors, not a negligible feature.

Delta77

You have a great system Danny.

I’m a small fish in this vast pond , with only consumer experience, please take my opinion, as just a guess..

$4K is a large sum, but sadly I believe this is about the right budget for the DAC itself (New). Maybe just purchase a Wonderful DAC to complement your systems level of performance, and then find a Transport or a Server to store your CDs for playback.

Last year I upgraded my DAC to a Holo Spring 3 kte. Not suggesting a Holo ,just saying.
I was trying to upgrade from my modded OPPO 205 (Modwright). I didn’t spin CDs or watch Movies on it all after purchasing my streamer/server (Innous ZEN).
I owned a BorderPatrol SEi DAC that did out perform the OPPO , but didn’t have a volume control, so had to shop around.
Some of the DACs that I was look into last year was,
SW1X
Lampizator
Audio Note Kits
Aqua Audio
Lumin
Holo audio

Good luck with your next purchase.

Being that you have Tubes in your amp and preamp already, a Tube DAC might be a bit too much of a good thing.?

pianoguys

A PC with software like Foobar2000 that can play a CD directly and a very good DAC sounds better than any CD transport I have heard at any price.  If you do consider ripping, Exact Audio Copy is great for building the music library.  Then no more searching for the CD to play.
Are you saying that using a pc as a transport is superior to most or all commercially available cd transports?  If so I am curious as to why that is.   

Freo-1

I would recommend getting a (Used) Chord Hugo TT2 and a Reavon X101 Blu Ray player.  The Chord DAC is better (IMHO) than almost anything in the same price range.  You would also get a headphone setup. and a very flexible transport that supports just about anything. 

Randy

I just got this for my bedroom.  It's outstanding and blows away its predecessor from Cambridge. Teac has another transport for about a thousand more.  For some outstanding DACs at various pricepoints, check out Denafrips.

https://teac.jp/int/product/pd-505t/top

This is a great coxial cable on the cheap.  Way better sounding than the Pangea it replaced.  I was surprised. It was so cheap $26 I bought it on a whim just to check it out.  Locking plugs, so loosen them before you try to connect.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806125228570.html?spm=a2g0o.order_detail.order_detail_item.3.2e7bf19cIxlxQF&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

Ali Express offers excellent customer service.

mr_bill

Some say that Dac technology has improved to the point that spending only a few hundred dollars yields the same results as multi thousand dollare dacs and I'm not referrring to just the audiosciencereview bunch with this comment.

Delta77

So Danny,

This subject appears to be about a year old now.
What did you end up getting??
Did you purchase anything for CD play back?
Or go with a new streaming devise?
Or did you upgrade some of you analog (TT) system?

You have great taste, and I was wondering what you decided on.

Thanks, Delta.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Some say that Dac technology has improved to the point that spending only a few hundred dollars yields the same results as multi thousand dollare dacs and I'm not referrring to just the audiosciencereview bunch with this comment.

Not in my experience. Closer yes but still no cigar.

charles

Freo-1

The headphone folks are among the most critical listeners.  Many of them are younger, which means all things being equal, their hearing is likely better than the older audiophiles. 

The Chord DAC's are among the most favored, as they sport exotic filtering compared to off the shelf options. 

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
So Danny,

This subject appears to be about a year old now.
What did you end up getting??
Did you purchase anything for CD play back?
Or go with a new streaming devise?
Or did you upgrade some of you analog (TT) system?

You have great taste, and I was wondering what you decided on.

Thanks, Delta.

Looking at rockadanny system (he has a a very nice setup) shows a Simon Audio CD5 to NewOnTech Dac 07
I guess that is what he went with? 

rockadanny

Looking at rockadanny system (he has a a very nice setup) ...

Thanks!  :thumb:

... shows a Simon Audio CD5 to NewOnTech Dac 07 I guess that is what he went with?

Yes, I did. Sorry, I never got back to this for closure (but do we EVER get closure with our gear?  :lol: )
During my search I hit up Mike Powell (OCD_Mikey / Verastarr), who lives nearby. He kindly brought over these two pieces which, once I heard them together I had to purchase.
I'm using the CD player as a transport only.

I.Greyhound Fan

Pick up a used PS Audio Direct Stream and then a decent transport and a good usb cable along with a good coax or optical cable.  The PS Audio Direct Stream is great sounding and with different software packages you can change the sound.  The PS audio is very detailed, has a huge sound stage and excellent resolution.  Another one to consider is an Aqua La Voce S3.