Intro and xls issue

icecoldramfan

Intro and xls issue
« on: 27 Mar 2023, 05:07 am »
Hello, my name is Doug, I live in Boise ID.  I’m attempting to put together my first diy speakers.  They are xls encores.  I thought I wired the crossover correctly, but I attempted to test them before putting them in the boxes and soldering all the wiring permanently.  They sound normal but if turn the volume up the Yamaha receiver shuts off.  I will attach a pic or two. 
Thanks in advance for any advice.

icecoldramfan

Re: Intro and xls issue
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2023, 05:24 am »
Hello.  My name is Doug and I’m working on my first diy speaker kit.  I posted earlier but now that I look closer my crossover question belongs here imo.  Anyway I think I wired it correctly, but I tried testing my crossovers before soldering wiring to drivers etc. and it starts out ok, but when I turn the volume up on my Yamaha AV receiver while watching tv the receiver shuts off.  Any thoughts on if this is normal?

adminRH

• Admin
« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2023, 04:38 pm »
I merged your two posts together. Welcome to AudioCircle!

It sounds like you have a wiring mistake or short circuit in your XO circuit. The receiver is seeing too-low of a load impedance which is causing it to enter its over-current protection mode.  Make sure that uninsulated conductors (like on caps and resistors) aren't touching where they shouldn't be.  Best practice is to heat shrink cable connections to minimize possible shorts when you stuff it inside the cabinet.

You can measure the speaker impedance that the amplifier sees with a tool like "Dayton DATS" or "Woofer Tester"

kyrio_s

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2023, 07:32 pm »
Comparing to this post: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=83325.msg1928087#msg1928087

Looks like the negative connection on the woofer side can be done cleaner.  I would try to fix that first and re-test.  Maybe others who put this crossover together can comment.

If you would like a hand with re-wiring, I'm local to Boise and can potentially swing by to assist.

fre11111

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2023, 03:43 am »
Hi,

Are both xovers causing your amp to shut? If only one is doing that I will suggest taking it apart and redoing that xover. I will assume there is a short somewhere that is causing this. I do apologize I cannot be more help but its very hard to see everything to the photo.

Frederick

KTS

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2023, 10:21 am »
Doug,
I built the XLS Encore a year ago, after comparing pictures it looks like you have an additional resistor in comparison to the schematic that was sent to me. I am relatively new to speaker assembly, but I would call Danny and team at GR Research. Danny also walks you through the process on a video posed on the GR Research website that is step by step and easy to follow.

Thank you, Kelly

KTS

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2023, 10:30 am »
Correction, my old eyes did not see the 3rd resistor in the crossover I assembled and my old brain did not remember! My apologies, but I would still reach out to Danny and team.

fre11111

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2023, 02:04 pm »
Hi Doug,

Looking at your photos it seems like you have it correctly wired. I will suggest you follow each lead and see if there is a fray of wire or something touching each other.

EdwardT

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2023, 05:43 pm »
What I see is the output of the tweeter choke mis-wired and not going to ground. The angle makes it difficult to see exactly but I looked at my crossover photos and that’s my thought. I'm frequently incorrect, tho, so you'll have to look.

fre11111

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2023, 07:27 pm »
What I see is the output of the tweeter choke mis-wired and not going to ground. The angle makes it difficult to see exactly but I looked at my crossover photos and that’s my thought. I'm frequently incorrect, tho, so you'll have to look.

Yes, the unclear part of the photo is the other lead from the small inductor. It seems in the 1st photo that it is connected correctly to negative but still unclear.