The Brute

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
The Brute
« on: 12 Mar 2023, 03:57 am »
Thanks, Danny!  :thumb:

Now I have to sell my pair of cherry X-SLS, my matching X-Voce, and possibly my X-Omni speakers in order to make up for your new “fun” speakers.  I’m even considering selling my Super 7 monitors!   :o  (Not selling my OB subs  :nono:)

Based on your video, the Brute is what I’ve been wanting for years.  I hoped they would be less expensive but these are challenging times for everyone.  Plus, I’m sure they’re worth it.

« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2023, 07:06 am by corndog71 »

bhassel

Re: The Brute
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2023, 03:59 am »
I'd love to see a 3D cad shot of the cabinets...

Bob

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2023, 05:31 am »
Has Danny announced a price for a pair of Brutes - kit with flatpacks or completed speakers?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2023, 05:35 am »
Has Danny announced a price for a pair of Brutes - kit with flatpacks or completed speakers?

Kit is $1200 and unassembled flat pack is $800.  Assembled is $1100. 

corndog71

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2023, 07:00 am »
I'd love to see a 3D cad shot of the cabinets...

Bob

Cabinet plans are posted on the page.
https://gr-research.com/product/old-school-brute/

White van speakers these are not!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2023, 07:47 am »
Thanks, guys. I only glanced thru the website on my cell phone, and missed that they were under the X-Series speakers.

For the past couple of months, I've been researching DIY speakers, and have <mostly> decided on another somewhat similar design (3-way with 15" woofer) with higher efficiency. I'll add the Brute to my list of possible candidates.

Michael

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2023, 08:46 am »
Thanks, Danny!  :thumb:

Now I have to sell my pair of cherry X-SLS, my matching X-Voce, and possibly my X-Omni speakers in order to make up for your new “fun” speakers.  I’m even considering selling my Super 7 monitors!   :o  (Not selling my OB subs  :nono:)

Based on your video, the Brute is what I’ve been wanting for years.  I hoped they would be less expensive but these are challenging times for everyone.  Plus, I’m sure they’re worth it.

I am not selling my XLS encores as I bet Danny has something for us beyond the brute that can utilise our XLS encores. CMON DANNY POST IT UP ON YOUTUBE! :)

fre11111

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2023, 10:12 am »
Shoutout to Danny & Hobbs. A conversion kit is actually not a bad idea, for all XLS owners and lovers. Maybe a 12" sealed cabinet and a crossover update will be a option for people who already own the XLS. 🙂✌️🙏

mkrawcz

« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2023, 12:14 pm »
I caved and ordered the kit. Splitting the cost a bit and ordering the flat pack in a few weeks.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2023, 09:29 pm »
I bet XLS Encore owners could order the Brute flat pack and just move the drivers over to the new box.

corndog71

« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2023, 09:43 pm »
The Brute uses the smaller woofer. 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 12 Mar 2023, 09:47 pm »
Correct, it uses the 5.25" Bravo woofer (M130)

EricB

« Reply #12 on: 12 Mar 2023, 10:19 pm »
With their 12 Ohm impedance and 90dB efficiency, It looks like “The Brute” would be a great choice for tube amps. I’d love to try them with my Transcendent Sound OTL amps!
Eric

VinceT

« Reply #13 on: 12 Mar 2023, 10:24 pm »
The Brute looks like a fun speaker

My Encores already play pretty low as it is, when I run them with subs they don't have to do much. Whenever I compare a 2 way with a sub or a 3 way, I seem to always prefer the 2 way with sub. I think it has something to do with the woofer size in the 2 way because typically they are larger and the cross over point between the mid and woofer in the 3 way are usually in that 150-250hz range. There are always trade offs. A one box solution versus more subs and amps. If I didn't already have the encores I would take a hard look at the Brutes.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 12 Mar 2023, 10:26 pm »
With their 12 Ohm impedance and 90dB efficiency, It looks like “The Brute” would be a great choice for tube amps. I’d love to try them with my Transcendent Sound OTL amps!
Eric

I've been playing them with some 120W Dodd Audio KT88 monoblocks the last few days and it's a killer combo.
I haven't plugged in the Elekit 8W 300B yet, but I suspect they'll still be pretty good combo as well.

mkrawcz

« Reply #15 on: 12 Mar 2023, 11:05 pm »
I've been playing them with some 120W Dodd Audio KT88 monoblocks the last few days and it's a killer combo.
I haven't plugged in the Elekit 8W 300B yet, but I suspect they'll still be pretty good combo as well.
I’m curious about the Elekit with these. I sort of had that combo in mind for them.

corndog71

« Reply #16 on: 15 Mar 2023, 12:35 am »
Next level idea.  Incorporate the NX studio into the brute cabinet vs the X-bravo.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 15 Mar 2023, 03:35 am »
Personally, if I was gunna do that, I would prefer a traditional 3-way studio monitor layout with the subwoofer to the outside of the woofer/tweeter combo. (Like the ATC SCM25A)
It would still be massive and heavy. but hey, 20-20K with full control over the low end, even with the smaller HX310 amp? I'd be game for that.
You would still lose some of the imaging/soundstage benefits of a narrow baffle, but the waveguide will help as well.

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #18 on: 15 Mar 2023, 04:14 am »
Next level idea.  Incorporate the NX studio into the brute cabinet vs the X-bravo.
This is what I would like to see. Only a Brute style cabinet module with sealed servo that a NX Studio or Encore/Bravo could sit on top of. I like the rectangle style over the cube.

corndog71

« Reply #19 on: 15 Mar 2023, 12:19 pm »
I get the want for more solid servo bass but that’s asking a lot for some people.  I was just thinking adding that magical 12” bass like the brute has but in a simplified cabinet by itself that the NXStudio could sit on. 
A higher end Brute so to speak.  I don’t know I’m just spit-balling here.