"upgrading from 2.5b3?

dhparker

"upgrading from 2.5b3?
« on: 17 Feb 2023, 02:00 am »
I have a multi-component system with a Bryston 2.5b3 as the power amplifier.  I love my system and have no concern with power/volume or anything else generally.  However, I'm always looking for tweaks and improvements.  Would a more powerful Bryston (e.g. 3b3) have any noticeable difference in general sound quality - or would it just change "how high the volume dial would go"?

Dave

gbaby

Re: "upgrading from 2.5b3?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2023, 02:12 am »
I have a multi-component system with a Bryston 2.5b3 as the power amplifier.  I love my system and have no concern with power/volume or anything else generally.  However, I'm always looking for tweaks and improvements.  Would a more powerful Bryston (e.g. 3b3) have any noticeable difference in general sound quality - or would it just change "how high the volume dial would go"?

Dave

What are your speakers and their efficiency rating?

GrooveControl

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2023, 03:08 am »
Some people are of the opinion that the bigger amps with larger power supplies and twice as many output transitors working half as hard will sound better.  I have not noticed this myself. My B60 and 3Bsst sound the same to me.   

Unless you are clipping your 2.5B, I would just stick with it.     

dhparker

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2023, 06:11 pm »
What are your speakers and their efficiency rating?

They are Harbeth 30.1 speakers with 85DB sensitivity.

gbaby

« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2023, 02:51 pm »

While these speakers are not efficient, and their frequency range is only down to 50Hz and I presume its -3db. They can only handle a maximum of !50 wpc. I would not get the 3b cube unless I needed more head room, and even then, you may need to go with the 4b cube. However, what you own is highly adequate assuming you don't play music at outrageous volume.

dhparker

« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2023, 07:40 pm »
Thanks gbaby - appreciate the input.

gbaby

« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2023, 03:01 am »
Thanks gbaby - appreciate the input.

My pleasure.

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2023, 03:15 am »

The Bryston 4B is the only amp to be taken seriously if you have low impedance, inefficient speakers listening at realistic volume levels. The usual refrain is that the speakers 'open up' and can only be evaluated with a high powered amp to realize their full potential. If the low frquency response is okay and they play loud enough just what is it exactly that you think is missing.

gbaby

« Reply #8 on: 5 Mar 2023, 05:39 pm »
The Bryston 4B is the only amp to be taken seriously if you have low impedance, inefficient speakers listening at realistic volume levels. The usual refrain is that the speakers 'open up' and can only be evaluated with a high powered amp to realize their full potential. If the low frquency response is okay and they play loud enough just what is it exactly that you think is missing.

My 2.5bsst2 was shipped to me new by Bryston, and it tested at 163 wpc on an 8 ohm load +/- 3db, although the official spec is 135 wpc. Since those speakers are rated at maximum wattage of 150, it may cause them to be overdriven and for them to blow. One would be taking a chance for sure.

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2023, 05:17 am »
Dave

Bryston's standard answer is no, they don't design amps to have good/better/best sound.  They all have dual mono power supplies and the same amount of gain.  In fact some people claim the smaller amps sound a bit sweeter, possibly due to the reduced number of semiconductor devices.  I tend to agree with them and gbaby when he says you should be careful not to overdrive your speakers.  Although you may never play your music loud, accidents can happen.