Interested in Cary Audio

Goose02

Interested in Cary Audio
« on: 15 Nov 2021, 01:13 am »
I am considering looking beyond my Cary Audio amplifier and getting a ss amplifier. Will I regret it?

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Interested in Cary Audio
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2021, 01:51 am »
You can always go with a SS amp and tube pre.  I love that combo and run a Pass Labs amp with a BAT tube preamp.  There are a lot of great SS and class D amps out there.  Some are tube like.

What is your budget?

Goose02

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2021, 12:23 pm »
I have a Red Wine Isabella preamplifier so I just need a power amplifier. Spendor 1/2e speakers. My system is not matched up and I am considering starting over. Budget is $5000

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2021, 04:51 am »
I have a Red Wine Isabella preamplifier so I just need a power amplifier. Spendor 1/2e speakers. My system is not matched up and I am considering starting over. Budget is $5000

There are a lot of great amps out there and more if you go the used route which I highly suggest.  Those speakers are relatively easy to drive at 88db at 8 ohms.  I would look at Pass Labs amps if you don't mind a heavy beast Class A amp.  Also consider Bryston.  A real sleeper may be the NAD C298.  It uses the Purifi modules and is class D.  Sterophile gave it a stellar review.  I haven't heard this amp but there is a lot of buzz about it-

https://www.stereophile.com/content/nad-c-298-power-amplifier

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9f6j0-pass-labs-pass-labs-xa30-8-power-amplifier-solid-state

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisadjcg-mcintosh-mc-452-solid-state

Rocket

« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2021, 01:24 pm »
Hi,

I had until recently a Red Wine Audio Isabella preamplifier. Its a really good quality preamplifier imo. I've also heard really good things about Cary Audio and I think you may be making a sideways move and one you may later regret. I've always found great bang for buck having high quality speakers. Have you thought about upgrading your current speakers  to something like Gr Research, Salk Sound or Philharmonic audio.

Its just a suggestion...  :D

Cheers Rod

Goose02

« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2021, 09:34 pm »
I AM thinking about replacing the speakers as well or instead of the amplifier or preamplifier. I don't want a lateral move!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2021, 04:30 am »
I AM thinking about replacing the speakers as well or instead of the amplifier or preamplifier. I don't want a lateral move!

If you are considering speakers in the $5K range.  Consider the Fyne Audio 502sp's.  Awesome speakers.  I heard Fyne Audio speakers at RMAF 2-3 years ago. They were the 702's that sell for about $9700.  They have a huge sound stage and huge sweet spot.  I was smitten and I own Magnepans.

I then flew out to Sun Coast Audio in Sarasota Fla. to give a listen the 702's again but also heard the 502sp's which use the same drivers but in a smaller cabinet.  They sound very similar but the bottom end is better in the 702's.  Then covid hit so the speakers have been on hold.  Fyne Audio was started by a group of Tannoy engineers that broke away.  Great bunch of guys as I met them at RMAF.  Fit and finish on the speakers are outstanding.  So is the sound.

https://www.fyneaudio.com/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/

Derockster

« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2021, 11:36 am »
Hi,

Out of curiosity, which Cary Amplifier do you own?

Regards

Derockster

Goose02

« Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2021, 01:01 pm »
Hi
I have the CAD 300sei. Early version.

skite30

« Reply #9 on: 17 Nov 2021, 03:33 pm »
I can second The fyne speakers.  Heard them at the last florida show 2 years ago now….The 702’s  Were probably my favorite room. The 702’s were matched with pass equipment..they also  had the 502’s there also but not the the 502sp version… I was quite tempted and was not even in the market for speakers….been planning a trip to suncoast for awhile just hasnt happened yet…..

skite30

« Reply #10 on: 17 Nov 2021, 03:37 pm »
Guess I should qualify that a bit….best sound in what r to me affordable speakers….the classic audio room got my vote for best sound…

Derockster

« Reply #11 on: 18 Nov 2021, 07:48 pm »
Hi
I have the CAD 300sei. Early version.

Nice amp.

Derockster

« Reply #12 on: 18 Nov 2021, 07:56 pm »
Me personally I would keep that amp and seek to improve my speakers but then, I am a horn lover.

Regards

Derockster

Rocket

« Reply #13 on: 18 Nov 2021, 10:35 pm »
Hi Guys,

If we are recommending speakers I might as well join in:

The BMR towers are just $3700us and appear to be excellent value.

https://www.philharmonicaudio.com

Another alternative would be something from Salk Sound. I had a pair of Song 3's which I really liked:

https://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Song3

Cary Audio are great products imo.

Ps. I checked out your amplifier and it is just 15 watts which is a bit low powered for the speakers I recommended.

Cheers Rod

richidoo

« Reply #14 on: 19 Nov 2021, 12:02 am »
I started with Cary SLI-80 back in 2005. I loved the sound and enjoyed it for a couple years. then I realized my speakers needed more power so I went to 100w tube monoblocks. Then the tubes became an issue so I sold those and started with SS amps. Inexpensive chip amps at first then class D and I finally have an amp I really love the sound with more than enough power and excellent damping, Purify. I leave it on all the time without worry and it sounds incredible and inexpensive for the performance level, imo.

I recently heard Viva 845 SET amp at Suncoast and loved that rich tube sound, but I get tired of it after a while and prefer the clarity of lower distortion amps as long as they are still musical. I am glad to be rid of tube problems and tube anxiety.

I made the change gradually over a few years and I never dumped the previous gear before living with both the old and new side by side for a while to decide if the new is really what I want. Don’t sell a beloved amp without making sure you’re really done with it.

BarrelAged

« Reply #15 on: 25 Nov 2021, 11:29 pm »
I know that I've sold gear and immediately regretted.  Given the proper resources, I hold on as long as possible.