It's Time for Some Acoustic Treatments

Vince in TX

It's Time for Some Acoustic Treatments
« on: 30 Jun 2021, 10:06 pm »
Admittedly, the room doesn't sound too horrible, but there's a lot of work to do to make it ideal.   I have six 2'x4' panels with movie prints on them ordered for the side walls, but other than that the only other treatment so far is I turned the riser into a bass trap by building it over the carpet and drilling 2" holes in front of it.  At some point I may fill it with Rockwool if it becomes necessary.

Here's the fun part.   There's an angled wall at the back of the room and a 5' wide x 3' deep alcove where I'm putting the equipment.   Then there's a nice corner almost directly in the back where I now have my media shelves.   Has anyone dealt with a room shaped like this?

Please note those surround speakers are only temporary.   I'm installing a set from GR Research whenever they show up.

Vince in TX

Re: It's Time for Some Acoustic Treatments
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2021, 05:22 pm »
I'm guessing this is more complicated than I thought.    :)   Any opinions or comments on how best to tackle this space?

Thanks!    :thumb:

RonP

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2021, 02:04 pm »
Get on their website and submit your room info to them. They'll get back to you with recommendations. They have a 3d modeller on you can build your room in. I did that and they replied with a new model with suggested panels shown.

youngho

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2021, 02:47 pm »
I'm guessing this is more complicated than I thought.    :)   Any opinions or comments on how best to tackle this space?

I don't know if simple room modeling will allow for the angled sidewall/ceiling surfaces, which will result in earlier and stronger reflections towards the listening position than if they weren't there. Conventional wisdom would probably be to place bass traps in the front corners; the widest range absorption (preferably at least 4" depth) you can tolerate at first reflection points for the front channels on the sidewalls, ceiling, and also on angled sidewall/ceiling; and full-range absorption on the front wall and back surfaces, including that angled one that has a surround speaker mounted, since that would appear to provide an early reflection from the left front speaker. Some diffusion elements on the sidewalls and angled sidewall/ceiling surfaces behind the listening positions (at least the primary ones) might be desirable.

However, the speakers appear to be open baffle designs, which have less output to the sides than conventional designs (you seem to have them positioned "firing" straight ahead, but angling them towards the center of the room might be beneficial for time-intensity trading and also further reducing the strength of first reflections from the nearer surfaces for the left and right channels). Sigfried Linkwitz argues for less absorption and more diffusion with such designs (see the section regarding OB speakers at https://www.linkwitzlab.com/conclusions.htm), including behind the front channels (https://www.linkwitzlab.com/rooms.htm#D). You would still want to place significant absorption on the rear wall surfaces, however.

jtcf

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2021, 04:27 pm »
Think about a heavy curtain to draw across the back to help diffuse reflections.+1 to start with the room model on the GIK site.It takes some experimenting with moving the treatments around listening and measuring to get it just right to your taste.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jul 2021, 04:55 pm »
I find that I prefer more damping in the front of the room and mix of damping and diffusion in the rear. 

Vince in TX

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jul 2021, 06:13 pm »
Good stuff, thank you.   I'll start doing more research.   Not sure I can get the wife to go for the curtain option, but that is an interesting idea.