HAL MS-6 and Roon

HAL

HAL MS-6 and Roon
« on: 25 Jun 2021, 12:29 pm »
HAL MS-6 users are trying the system with Roon and the first system is running as a Roon Endpoint.

During this, Microsoft has done an update to the system video display device driver that has to be loaded for Roon to load and run.   Early MS-6 units may not have that driver loaded as it was not needed for either Foobar2000 or JRiver MC27 for music playback. 

If you are going to run Roon, let me know and I can step you through the check to see if the Intel video driver has been loaded in Windows 10.

All MS-6's being sent out now will have the video display driver loaded for Roon to load and run correctly.

HAL

Re: HAL MS-6 and Roon
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2021, 01:10 am »
Second MS-6 system setup to use Roon and running correctly. 

HAL

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2021, 09:12 pm »
Another HAL MS-6 owner in CO and the system is being used as a Roon Endpoint.  This is the second MS-6 being used as a Roon Endpoint for a USB DAC.

They compared the MS-6 to an iFi Zen Stream and they selected the MS-6.  🙂

DRHamp

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2021, 02:34 pm »
Is the Roon core running on the HAL MS-6?  Have a friend that just got the MS-6 and in the Roon interface, is says "can't find the Roon Core"

HAL

« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2021, 03:29 pm »
When you finish the Roon install on the MS-6 you have to choose whether it is a Roon Core or Endpoint.  That is a user choice for their Roon system.

From what I understand of Roon, a Roon Core has to be the first machine to run the system and the Endpoints are on either that machine or separate machines to the DAC for playback.  Without the Roon Core, there is no system.

DRHamp

« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2021, 03:41 pm »
When you finish the Roon install on the MS-6 you have to choose whether it is a Roon Core or Endpoint.  That is a user choice for their Roon system.

From what I understand of Roon, a Roon Core has to be the first machine to run the system and the Endpoints are on either that machine or separate machines to the DAC for playback.  Without the Roon Core, there is no system.

Ok got it - so Roon does not come pre-installed on the MS-6?

HAL

« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2021, 04:03 pm »
Correct, Roon demo is preloaded and when started goes through the setup.  The user has to decide how he wants his Roon system.

The user has to setup Roon as it can be used many ways.  They also need to license it if they decide to keep it.

DRHamp

« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2021, 08:23 pm »
Thank you for the responses - I don't want to belabor the point, but if I want to use the MS-6 as both a Roon Core and as a Roon endpoint, I would need 2 MS6s - is that correct?

Dynky

« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2021, 09:15 pm »
Regarding the need of 2 units...yes and no.
Any core can be used as an endpoint.
Physically separating the core from the endpoint should however improve overall SQ.

DRHamp

« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2021, 09:47 pm »
Thanks @Dynky - that's what I was after

thetakeout

« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2021, 09:46 pm »
Hello MS-6/Roon users.

I am interested to know.  On your MS-6.... Do you have Roon configured simply as an endpoint or are you using it as the endpoint and the core?  If you are just using it as an endpoint, what are you using for your Roon core?   

My MS-6 is currently configured as the core, but it is also the endpoint.   

The good news is it is decidedly besting my previous streaming option.

I am hoping others with more experience with both the MS-6 and Roon might have thoughts to share on how to optimize the two platforms.