Of HT2-TLs and vacuum tube amps.

nyc_paramedic

Of HT2-TLs and vacuum tube amps.
« on: 24 Sep 2010, 11:12 pm »
I've been happily driving my HT-2 TL's with my longtime Pass Aleph 5. This solid-state amp runs Class A Single-Ended and is rated at 60 watts into 8 ohms and 90 watts into 4 ohms.

At low to moderately high levels, this combo plays loud with deep, tight bass, and very dynamic mids and highs. This is mostly with music that I actually listen to: classical chamber music, rock/pop, folk, indie.

I've never owned a tube amplifier or spent any considerable time listening to one, and lately I've been very curious to do so. I've always known about Quicksilver Audio from various forums and word of mouth, and after picking up the latest copy of Stereophile I noticed that one of their newest amplifies, the Silver 88 Mono, released last year, has garnered a Class A rating.

Here's the link: http://www.quicksilveraudio.com/products/Silver%2088.html

And some info from that link:
The new Silver 88 brings the finesse and transparency of low powered tube amplifers into the realm of less efficient speakers. Employing only two output tubes, this circuit provides 80 watts without stressing or pushing these tubes to their limit, and with the lowest output impedance and distortion of all the Quicksilver amplifiers, the Silver 88 brings a new level of performance to this power range.

An on-board bias meter allows individual adjustment of each output tube and, with low-noise power supplies and circuitry, the Silver 88 can still be used on very efficient speakers. Two power transformers and 180 Joules of energy storage provide effortless dynamic response, transmitting the full musical impact of sudden shifts from soft to loud. A modification of the sleek look of the V4, the Silver 88 has a chrome-plated chassis and carbide black transformer cover.

From what I understand, Quicksilver is very conservative with their power ratings. Would this be enough juice for driving a 4 ohm HT2-TLs? I remember that Jim had power ratings for tube watts and solid state watts, but upon recently visiting the Salk Sound website to refresh my memory, it's now listed only as "Recommended Amplification     
100-250"
Can a HT2-TL 2 way speaker really benefit from 250 watts of amplifier power with the aforementioned music?

I have an opportunity to home audition these amps for 30 days risk free. Also, I tend to keep components for a long (I purchased my Aleph 5 in 1999), so I'm looking for advice and/or hints on what deficiencies to listen for. Any other happy Salk/Quicksilver audiophiles out there?

Edited for spelling: 30 days, not 3 days.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2010, 01:02 am by nyc_paramedic »

Big Red Machine

Re: Of HT2-TLs and vacuum tube amps.
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2010, 11:15 pm »
No brainer for a 3 day trial.  But I would want significantly more watts for those speaks.

ratso

« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2010, 11:20 pm »
if you really want to try them and could afford it you could always get two of them and biamp.

edit woops sorry they're monoblocks. well you could do 4 i guess  :roll:

Stercom

« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2010, 11:39 pm »
Quicksilver is excellent gear. Mike Sanders is the owner and a great guy.  I've owned the Quicksilver V4 mono amps. They are KT-88 based and put out 120 watts/channel which I think would be a better match with the HT2-TL than the Silver 88s. I drove a pair of Vandersteen 3As with the V4s with no problem.

fsimms

« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2010, 12:15 am »
The 100-250 watt rating is for solid state amps.  Generaly, an equivilent rating would be half of what the solid state rating would be.  That means that a 50 watt rating for a tube amp would be the minimum.  Some tube amps don't handle low impeadence bass very well so a 88 watt from one manufacter might be fantastic and another 88 watt amp might have very flabby bass.

Bob

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2010, 12:27 am »
The 100-250 watt rating is for solid state amps.  Generaly, an equivilent rating would be half of what the solid state rating would be.  That means that a 50 watt rating for a tube amp would be the minimum.  Some tube amps don't handle low impeadence bass very well so a 88 watt from one manufacter might be fantastic and another 88 watt amp might have very flabby bass.

Bob

Right.  This is more an issue of 4-ohm stability than brute force.  The HT2's are almost as sensitive as the Songtowers,and quite frankly, I wouldn't have any problems driving them with a high quality 60-watt solid state amp.  So give the tubies a test drive and see what you think. 

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #6 on: 25 Sep 2010, 01:11 am »
Quicksilver is excellent gear. Mike Sanders is the owner and a great guy.  I've owned the Quicksilver V4 mono amps. They are KT-88 based and put out 120 watts/channel which I think would be a better match with the HT2-TL than the Silver 88s. I drove a pair of Vandersteen 3As with the V4s with no problem.

I did notice the V4's and the power rating, but I'm gravitating towards 88's because it's the lowest distortion amp they make, with the lowest impedance (able to drive a more difficult speaker? Correct me if I'm wrong, please) and employing only two output tubes (simpler circuit ergo more "there"??).

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #7 on: 25 Sep 2010, 01:20 am »
No brainer for a 3 day trial.  But I would want significantly more watts for those speaks.

Sorry, that was a typo. 30 days in home audition. I figured I'd get some info from the group before I waste any dealers time.

WntrMute2

« Reply #8 on: 25 Sep 2010, 02:52 pm »
I have a pair of HT2-TLs they are driven to ear splitting levels (with solid bass) by my 150W Transcendent SC150s.  I mean never can I exceed 9-10 o'clock on my Wright preamp without attaining LOUD rock concert listening levels.  This is in a small room though, but I think, especially for music you'd be fine.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 25 Sep 2010, 04:10 pm »
I'm at 450 wpc.  200 or 250 seems like child's play. :no_see:

WntrMute2

« Reply #10 on: 25 Sep 2010, 05:45 pm »
No wonder you call yourself "Big" :D.  That seems incredible that folks are finding a need for that many watts.  Not saying its not true, I'm just surprised.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 25 Sep 2010, 05:50 pm »
Having a 600 hp twin turbo ready to light it up whenever called upon.  Digs deep and slams the dynamics with ease.  Overkill for something like a 90 db speaker of course.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #12 on: 25 Sep 2010, 06:00 pm »
I too have the HT2-TL speakers and have played with many amps including solid state, digital and tubes.

The lowest power I have driven them with is 35 watts class A EL34 based. This is a heavily modified Audio Note Kit EL34 that I built for a customer. Even in my large listening room, this amp sounds beautiful with the speakers. Good thing as the customer also has the HT2-TL speakers. He will also be using the Purity Basis Pre so I have the exact system he will be using. I think he is in for quite a treat with these speakers.

Moving up to 250 watt Class D Hybrid amplifier. You get a completely different presentation. More dynamic control at the frequency extremes while still maintaining the smooth, seductive midrange quality nobody wants to loose.

I have not tried a complete solid state system as I do not own a solid state preamp so cannot comment on the combination. I also have not yet tried biamping on these speakers

Tube preamp into 100 watt solid state amp is a very nice combination as long as the amp is not too aggressive.

In the end, I would guess anything from about 25 watt tubes/50 watts solid state would be a good minimum power rating depending on listening habits and room size.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #13 on: 25 Sep 2010, 06:05 pm »
I too have the HT2-TL speakers and have played with many amps including solid state, digital and tubes.

The lowest power I have driven them with is 35 watts class A EL34 based. This is a heavily modified Audio Note Kit EL34 that I built for a customer. Even in my large listening room, this amp sounds beautiful with the speakers. Good thing as the customer also has the HT2-TL speakers. He will also be using the Purity Basis Pre so I have the exact system he will be using. I think he is in for quite a treat with these speakers.

Moving up to 250 watt Class D Hybrid amplifier. You get a completely different presentation. More dynamic control at the frequency extremes while still maintaining the smooth, seductive midrange quality nobody wants to loose.

I have not tried a complete solid state system as I do not own a solid state preamp so cannot comment on the combination. I also have not yet tried biamping on these speakers

Tube preamp into 100 watt solid state amp is a very nice combination as long as the amp is not too aggressive.

In the end, I would guess anything from about 25 watt tubes/50 watts solid state would be a good minimum power rating depending on listening habits and room size.

Thanks, this is the kind of info I was looking for.

P.S. There's a picture in your gallery of an HT2-TL and a slightly smaller speaker next to it. This smaller speaker has the tombstone shape of a Salk Archos, but with what looks like the tweeter and midrange of Soundscape. Also has two (SEAS?) woofers. What speaker is that??

Charles Xavier

« Reply #14 on: 25 Sep 2010, 06:38 pm »
Thanks, this is the kind of info I was looking for.

P.S. There's a picture in your gallery of an HT2-TL and a slightly smaller speaker next to it. This smaller speaker has the tombstone shape of a Salk Archos, but with what looks like the tweeter and midrange of Soundscape. Also has two (SEAS?) woofers. What speaker is that??

Clearwave

writeface

« Reply #15 on: 25 Sep 2010, 07:56 pm »

Can you share the name of the hybrid amp? Thanks

mark funk

« Reply #16 on: 25 Sep 2010, 08:07 pm »
I don't know? I have HT2-TL and at 4 ohms that should make my Ultra+ 550 run at a little over 500 watts? Right? Only had the Salk's from late July. It seams like they can take all of my 550 and more! I am more then happy! Frank and Jim seam to have some thing that working.  :thumb:

:smoke:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #17 on: 25 Sep 2010, 08:55 pm »
Can you share the name of the hybrid amp? Thanks

It's our Purity Basis Hybrid Amp. Not yet released.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #18 on: 25 Dec 2010, 08:52 pm »

Right.  This is more an issue of 4-ohm stability than brute force.  The HT2's are almost as sensitive as the Songtowers,and quite frankly, I wouldn't have any problems driving them with a high quality 60-watt solid state amp.  So give the tubies a test drive and see what you think.

I just picked up a pair of Silver 88 Mono blocks yesterday. I still need to mount to RealTraps RFZ panels on the ceilings before I setup the amps, but I'll be a giving a report as soon they start playing some music.

Dennis, do you think the Silver 88's (rated 80 watts) would have trouble driving the Soundscape 10's? If yes, how about a pair of Soundscape C's?