SoundScape 10/12 (HT4) design finalized

funkmonkey

Re: HT4 (SoundScape 10/12) design finalized
« Reply #40 on: 8 Mar 2010, 05:08 am »
Congrats guys.  Looking forward to seeing them in full production, and hopefully I will get a chance to hear them, too.
 :thumb:

jsalk

« Reply #41 on: 8 Mar 2010, 05:13 am »
The C-79?

No, the C-90.

Does the Accuton have the same open back design as the FAAL?

Yes, everything is the same except the midrange and, of course, the crossover.

- Jim

TomW16

« Reply #42 on: 8 Mar 2010, 06:26 am »
Congratulations to the whole team.  It is fantastic that a clear consensus was reached.  I am sure that it is a tremdous speaker.

Tom

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #43 on: 8 Mar 2010, 08:05 am »
Congratulations Jim, Dennis, Paul, Jeff et al.  Can't wait to hear the SoundScape. 

Will the SoundScape be @ AK Fest?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #44 on: 8 Mar 2010, 08:55 am »
Wow, those look great!  Someday, Rob...someday... :wink:

jsalk

« Reply #45 on: 8 Mar 2010, 12:39 pm »
Congratulations Jim, Dennis, Paul, Jeff et al.  Can't wait to hear the SoundScape. 

Yes, they will.  I think I will bring a 10" version this year, but it depends on what we get finished.

- Jim

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #46 on: 8 Mar 2010, 02:40 pm »
No, the C-90.

Yes, everything is the same except the midrange and, of course, the crossover.

- Jim

Actually, it's the C-79.  The C-90 is a 5" midwoofer without the black eyes.  So don't put any orders in for the C-90. 

kip_

« Reply #47 on: 8 Mar 2010, 02:54 pm »
:D those look very nice !!! what is the ball-park sticker on those ??  :D

10k for the 10" version in MDF, more for 12" or Bamboo, I believe the 12" Bamboo version is 17k.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #48 on: 8 Mar 2010, 02:59 pm »
Actually, it's the C-79.  The C-90 is a 5" midwoofer without the black eyes.  So don't put any orders in for the C-90.

Yes, I know I wasn't going to be "that guy" and correct.  I use the C-79 in my DIY 3-way and it's spectacular. 

Paul K.

« Reply #49 on: 8 Mar 2010, 03:19 pm »
I can't take much credit for the Soundscape (thanks, anyway) as my contribution ended up proving what wouldn't work in the box size and shape Jim wanted, an aggressively tapered TL, due to way too much air flow out the terminus.  Still, Thomas Edison never got discouraged in his quest to invent a practical and long-lasting light bulb; he tried many, many materials for the filaments that didn't work out, maintaining a positive outlook and happy he was determining what wouldn't work.
Paul

jsalk

« Reply #50 on: 8 Mar 2010, 03:53 pm »
Just to clarify, Accuton has changed model numbers in the past.  It was the C-79 and now the correct current number is C90-6-79.

- Jim

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #51 on: 8 Mar 2010, 03:54 pm »
Just to clarify, Accuton has changed model numbers in the past.  It was the C-79 and now the correct current number is C90-6-79.

- Jim

:lol:  We're both right! 

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #52 on: 8 Mar 2010, 04:01 pm »
I can't take much credit for the Soundscape (thanks, anyway) as my contribution ended up proving what wouldn't work in the box size and shape Jim wanted, an aggressively tapered TL, due to way too much air flow out the terminus.  Still, Thomas Edison never got discouraged in his quest to invent a practical and long-lasting light bulb; he tried many, many materials for the filaments that didn't work out, maintaining a positive outlook and happy he was determining what wouldn't work.
Paul

Hey Paul--it wasn't a total failure.  I still amaze my guests by firing up your prototype with a 20 Hz test tone.  It shoots poly fill twenty feet across the room.  Anyhow, you're allowed one small debit against all the credits you've racked up with the other designs. 

Paul K.

« Reply #53 on: 8 Mar 2010, 04:09 pm »
And the best part is that I learned my lesson; now on any TLs I model, I make darned sure to check the port/terminus air velocity very carefully with higher input powers to the driver, at least to where the driver reaches its rated Xmax at audible frequencies (above 20 Hz).  I don't think I'll ever make that same mistake again!  Just for the record, though, a less-tapered TL with a much lower terminus air velocity could be easily created for the 12" woofer used in the SoundScape, but the box would have to be larger in order to make the line longer.
Paul

Hey Paul--it wasn't a total failure.  I still amaze my guests by firing up your prototype with a 20 Hz test tone.  It shoots poly fill twenty feet across the room.  Anyhow, you're allowed one small debit against all the credits you've racked up with the other designs.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #54 on: 8 Mar 2010, 04:14 pm »
All of you guys amaze me.  I wish I could design speakers - maybe in retirement.

One thing I was happy with was validating my ears are as good as I always thought they were by using the Comparo gizmo and comparing notes with the rest of the group.  Whew. :rock:

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #55 on: 8 Mar 2010, 08:09 pm »
Jim

we might need to talk

I thought the HT4's were going to be way too large and major overkill for a mid size 2 channel audio room (15' by 27' - long wall placement)

Actually being smaller than the HT2's the footprint could be ideal. 
If anyone could better the HT3 it would be Jim and Dennis.
Imagine  extracting even more resolving musical nuance in a refined audiosystem

sounds like a trip up to Michigan to see my family and Jim soon

how do you spell burbinga?

cheers

Tom

srb

« Reply #56 on: 8 Mar 2010, 08:12 pm »
how do you spell burbinga?

Without an 'r'.

Steve

arthurs

« Reply #57 on: 8 Mar 2010, 08:17 pm »

srb

« Reply #58 on: 8 Mar 2010, 08:40 pm »
Although this may have been mentioned in another HT4 thread:

I can see that the mid/tweeter module is made of laminated sections.  Does this same construction extend to the woofer module?

If so, what is the resultant wall thickness (I assume the same section pieces would be used whether MDF or Bamboo plywood), and what is the approximate weight of either version?

Steve

Philistine

« Reply #59 on: 8 Mar 2010, 08:44 pm »
Congratulations to Jim and the team on this.
I'm ready to fit them in the following space  :thumb: