AKFest 2010?

cujobob

Re: AKFest 2010?
« Reply #40 on: 2 May 2010, 08:37 pm »
Gahh, I'm local to this and I couldn't go...  :duh:

The Fritz speakers are the same driver-wise as the Odyssey Loreleis (sp?) I believe...they should be quite good.  Would loved to have heard the Harbeths and final Soundscape design with the Accuton mid.

nicksgem10s

« Reply #41 on: 3 May 2010, 06:14 am »
I wanted to try to give an idea of how beautiful Jim's room was at AK Fest 2010. 

If you enjoy these I have a bunch more to share just too tired today to post more. 

I will post additional pictures and my thoughts on the sound at the show.

Congrats to Jim, Dennis (sorry you couldn't be there), Frank, Mary, and the rest of the gang.  Great Job!  :thumb:

-Nick

jd3

« Reply #42 on: 3 May 2010, 10:59 am »
My wife and I both had a great time at AKFest.  It was great meeting and conversing with many fellow AC members and putting real names and faces with screen names.  Lots of fun, conversation, and great equipment to see and hear.   Kudos to Jim, Mary, John, Itai, and Pete for their work and effort. :thumb:

We'll be back again next year!

John and Jill

gthomas

« Reply #43 on: 3 May 2010, 12:04 pm »
  Can Jim or someone explain why the speakers in the above pic are "off center" with the compnent stand?  the Rt. Arcos is nex to the stand and the Lt. Arcos is at the end of the line of speakers.  I know that is a reason, just interested.

martyo

« Reply #44 on: 3 May 2010, 12:36 pm »
  Can Jim or someone explain why the speakers in the above pic are "off center" with the compnent stand?  the Rt. Arcos is nex to the stand and the Lt. Arcos is at the end of the line of speakers.  I know that is a reason, just interested.
To equalize the distance between speakers.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #45 on: 3 May 2010, 12:40 pm »
Well I barely have internet access from home, so I'm just now able to post my impressions of Saturday at AKFest 2010...

Reacquainted with several ACer's and pre AC friends which was very nice.  Also had a chance to speak with Gary Weaver (senior editor from Positive Feedback) whose writings I've always "sync'd" with. 

The rooms were much better (bigger and varied) than in 2008.  The Salk/VanAlstine and Modwright/Bamberg rooms were a couple of the bigger/nicer sounding and each used multiple setups.  Dan Wright was using the same transport on his big rig I use (an Onix CD-3 CDP)! 

Other rooms that I particularly enjoyed were the Fritz Audio, Classic Audio Reproductions, and Tom Evans Audio Design.

Frank Van Alstine had equipment in two rooms (Salk and Nate's Audio) with his "special recipe rope speaker cables in both.  Jim's speakers sounded great, especially his new ones (the cabinetry were museum/heirloom quality and I told Mary Salk that they would put I really nice solid Cherry furniture to absolute shame).  Nate had a wonderful demo recording of various sounds coming from outside the room, but only if you sat in "the" chair.  His speakers were high quality build/sound and I'd say even higher value.

fsimms

« Reply #46 on: 3 May 2010, 01:24 pm »
Interesting to see absorption panels behind the SS10's.  Since the speakers are run with an open baffle so as to have the rear wave bounce off of the back wall, I wonder why that was done!?   There must be something that I am not understanding.

Bob

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #47 on: 3 May 2010, 01:34 pm »
Interesting to see absorption panels behind the SS10's.  Since the speakers are run with an open baffle so as to have the rear wave bounce off of the back wall, I wonder why that was done!?   There must be something that I am not understanding.

Bob

Just because it is open baffle, doesn't mean you don't want to control the wave. 

Open baffle doesn't mean you want that rear wave bouncing all over.  I believe you want to control it in the same manner as your first reflection points on the side walls.

George

martyo

« Reply #48 on: 3 May 2010, 01:54 pm »

Bob
The back and amount of fill is adjustable. From closed, fully damped, to open, no damping. I believe it's more to deal with the effects of the cabinet and the rear wave energy. I don't think it's a dipole.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #49 on: 3 May 2010, 01:59 pm »

Bob

Because the room acoustics sucked, mostly.  it improved significantly after the panels went up.  Don't forget about the other frequencies the speaker produces.

jd3s wife

« Reply #50 on: 4 May 2010, 02:27 am »
Just a quick (well maybe not so quick) post to comment about my experience at AKFest.

John (JD3) has been wanted to attend AKFest for several years and either my horse hobby or something else has kept him from coming down.  After we had the opportunity to hear the Soundscape prototype in December, I began looking at the Salk website, AudioCircle and AKFest  - John was floored to say the least.  (I know nothing about this stuff other than the fact that I have REALLY enjoyed listening to music at home since John got the Song Towers).

When I made the hotel reservations, I figured I'd hang out in the listening rooms for a short time and then go shopping or find something "more interesting" to do.  I figured that this was a male-dominated hobby and I  probably wouldn't feel comfortable hanging around.  Wow, was i wrong - ya'll were very welcoming, very kind and I enjoyed meeting some of you!  Thanks for helping make the weekend a great experience.

Carry on boys ...from now on I'll be seen and not heard!   (and if you believe that ........   :lol:)

jill

Go Wings!

fsimms

« Reply #51 on: 4 May 2010, 02:40 am »
I know nothing about this stuff other than the fact that I have REALLY enjoyed listening to music at home since John got the Song Towers

That was the experience of my girlfriend when I got my Salks.  Jim creates a lot of joy in the world.

Bob

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #52 on: 4 May 2010, 02:43 am »
That was the experience of my girlfriend when I got my Salks.  Jim creates a lot of joy in the world.

I am very much enjoying the HT2-TL speakers and I haven't even had the time to set them up properly yet. They are filling my very large listening room with beautiful music.