Look Who Was Here Today...

Art_Chicago

Re: Look Who Was Here Today...
« Reply #20 on: 29 Aug 2009, 03:02 am »
Nice setup, indeed. But that truck... I do not know, guys, it just does not look right :(

TJHUB

« Reply #21 on: 29 Aug 2009, 03:37 am »
Thanks for all the nice comments.  I really do feel like a lucky bastage to own my Salk speakers.  You guys know how it is.  :wink:

OgOgilby

« Reply #22 on: 29 Aug 2009, 04:28 pm »
It's a long story, but I wouldn't change my PB13-Ultra for any sub.  I'm primarily a music guy and I have Ultra VERY dialed in.  It took a long time, but I figured out a lot of things.  It's EQ'd and my placement and listening position have been ideally tweaked.  It's perfectly articulate and flawlessly balanced.  I couldn't be happier. 

Nuance had a listen a couple of weeks ago.  I'm waiting for him to catch this thread.  Maybe he'll comment on what he heard from the sub.

Thanks Terry, your system must sound amazing (I read Nuance's comments). I am trying to decide what our next audio purchase will be and a new "musical" sub is one of the options I am considering (possibly one from Jim).

Jim's speakers turned everything else in our system into weak spots  :wink:

Nuance

« Reply #23 on: 29 Aug 2009, 04:40 pm »
It's a long story, but I wouldn't change my PB13-Ultra for any sub.  I'm primarily a music guy and I have Ultra VERY dialed in.  It took a long time, but I figured out a lot of things.  It's EQ'd and my placement and listening position have been ideally tweaked.  It's perfectly articulate and flawlessly balanced.  I couldn't be happier. 

Nuance had a listen a couple of weeks ago.  I'm waiting for him to catch this thread.  Maybe he'll comment on what he heard from the sub.

Thanks Terry, your system must sound amazing (I read Nuance's comments). I am trying to decide what our next audio purchase will be and a new "musical" sub is one of the options I am considering (possibly one from Jim).

haha, I know how that is.  I've gotten a preamp, Squeezebox and soon a DAC since getting the Salk's.  They deserve an excellent front end.  :)

TJHUB

« Reply #24 on: 29 Aug 2009, 05:21 pm »

That's exactly how I feel.  I used to always find weaknesses in my speakers.  Now I don't ever seem to consider the speakers aren't doing what they are supposed to be doing perfectly.  I've only been focusing on my sub and my source components since the Salks arrived.  The sub is done, so now I'm working on DACs.

If I had to pick a new sub, I'd be seriously looking into Rythmik for a primarily music setup.  I'd love to see pics of the dual passive radiator Rythimk Jim is building.  What concerns me most is the low power of the Rythmiks for home theater.  It takes big power to dig deep and get loud for that visceral experience.  Although the passive radiator design should be more efficient. 

The other subs I find interesting are the HSU ULS-15s.  I think they'd run a close 2nd for music but home theater performance may be better with significantly more power available (which a sealed sub really needs).

Nuance

« Reply #25 on: 29 Aug 2009, 06:20 pm »
Terry gave up finding weaknesses in the Salk's, so now he's looking elsewhere.  He's on a weakness hunt!  :)

OgOgilby

« Reply #26 on: 29 Aug 2009, 06:43 pm »

haha, I know how that is.  I've gotten a preamp, Squeezebox and soon a DAC since getting the Salk's.  They deserve an excellent front end.  :)

Thanks Nuance, your the one to blame for all of this :wink:

I was going to get a DAC next but I picked up a closeout Denon 5910ci which has pretty good DAC's in it for CD's and SACD's . We don't have a Squeezebox yet, I'm afraid I would be sitting on my rear too much. I kind of like getting up to change disks every so often. Now I'm looking at room treatments, subs, etc.

Yesterday I made the mistake of listening to a VTL TL-5.5/ VTL ST-150 tube setup and a Meridian CD player (way out of our price range) played through speakers that weren't as good as Salks. It sounded amazing and I couldn't help thinking how the HT2 TL's would sound driven by that setup (or tube equipment in general) :duh:

OgOgilby

« Reply #27 on: 29 Aug 2009, 06:51 pm »

That's exactly how I feel.  I used to always find weaknesses in my speakers.  Now I don't ever seem to consider the speakers aren't doing what they are supposed to be doing perfectly.  I've only been focusing on my sub and my source components since the Salks arrived.  The sub is done, so now I'm working on DACs.

If I had to pick a new sub, I'd be seriously looking into Rythmik for a primarily music setup.  I'd love to see pics of the dual passive radiator Rythimk Jim is building.  What concerns me most is the low power of the Rythmiks for home theater.  It takes big power to dig deep and get loud for that visceral experience.  Although the passive radiator design should be more efficient. 

The other subs I find interesting are the HSU ULS-15s.  I think they'd run a close 2nd for music but home theater performance may be better with significantly more power available (which a sealed sub really needs).

The Rythmics are on my list and I am waiting to see some feedback on Jim's Rythmic sub before I do anything. I would think a pair of Rythmics would work pretty well for home theater. We would probably have to buy them one at a time due to budget constraints if we go that direction.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #28 on: 29 Aug 2009, 06:54 pm »
Recently, I have been been listening to the HT2-TL with AIFF files through an AVA Transcendence 8+ tube DAC, an AVA Insight+ SL solid state preamp, and an AVA Ultimate 70 tube amp.  The tube DAC and tube amp are very detailed, and in some ways, I prefer the Ultimate 70 to the Insight 440 solid state amp.  I am considering trying an AVA Transcendence 8+ tube preamp with this combination.

OgOgilby

« Reply #29 on: 29 Aug 2009, 08:14 pm »
Recently, I have been been listening to the HT2-TL with AIFF files through an AVA Transcendence 8+ tube DAC, an AVA Insight+ SL solid state preamp, and an AVA Ultimate 70 tube amp.  The tube DAC and tube amp are very detailed, and in some ways, I prefer the Ultimate 70 to the Insight 440 solid state amp.  I am considering trying an AVA Transcendence 8+ tube preamp with this combination.

That should sound amazing. Have you considered one of the Fet Valve Ultras with the Transcendence 8?

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #30 on: 30 Aug 2009, 01:20 am »
Well, if someone would buy my Insight 440, I might buy an an Ultra 550 or an Ultra Double 550.  :D 

Before that, however, I would like to compare the T8 preamp to the Ultra preamp.