Salk Center Channels

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: Salk Center Channels
« Reply #20 on: 14 Apr 2009, 01:51 pm »
I can't remember what Jim said.  For HT, you basically want clean dialog, and either version will do that.  I personally have the V3 monster center teamed up with an 1801 3-way, so I'm mixing a ribbon and domes, and I sure haven't heard any problems on either music or HT.  But I've never done a controlled A-B. 

OgOgilby

« Reply #21 on: 14 Apr 2009, 03:12 pm »
I haven't heard many people pipe up about the Salk center channel offerings, be it the HTC, Song Center, or the HT2 variant of the HTC to match that line. I have the Rocket "Bigfoot" (RSC200) and it does a pretty good job, but I'm quite interested to hear about how people like the Salk centers compared to what they've heard. At least in my case, the speaker is advertised as going down to 44hz, which is kind of crazy for a center, but it does have 6.5" drivers in it. I don't think the Salk offerings go that low, but I think most people cross them over at 60hz or so anyway.

We are going from an original "Bigfoot" (and original RS750's) to a setup that Jim recommended - Salk sealed horizontal HT2 center channel to match HT2 TL's across the front. That way all the drivers will match, but the center will not go as low as the HT2 TL's. I don't think that should a problem with home theater or 5.1 channel SACD music since a sub is involved. In theory the matching drivers should make sound panning across the front "seamless", in reality, I am not sure I could hear the difference as long as the speakers are voiced the same.

I should (knock on wood) have the HT2 TL's and the Center by the end of the month, and will post my impressions of the center vs the original "Bigfoot". Considering Big Red Machine's post, it doesn't sound like a fair contest between the HT2 center and "Bigfoot" :wink: On the down side it is looking like we will be on vacation right after the center arrives (the construction is behind the HT2's) and I don't think I will have much time to listen to the Salk's until mid May  :(

Nuance

« Reply #22 on: 15 Apr 2009, 01:48 pm »
Thanks guys.  I don't plan on using this system for much multi-channel music, so it sounds like the dome version will be sufficient.  I will, of course, consult "the man" himself before making the purchase.  Just out of curiosity, though, has a price been set for the ribbon version of the SongCenter that some folks have already ordered?

audiocrazy

« Reply #23 on: 15 Apr 2009, 02:47 pm »
I have a 7.1 HT system and I got the SongCenter along with ST's and I'm very happy. In fact I also ordered the Song surrounds to match up rest of my system. Now I'm itching to replace my Surround Back with SS1's.
When I replaced the center with SC I immediately noticed  dialog clarity and timber matching is seamless.

jsalk

« Reply #24 on: 15 Apr 2009, 06:40 pm »
Thanks guys.  I don't plan on using this system for much multi-channel music, so it sounds like the dome version will be sufficient.  I will, of course, consult "the man" himself before making the purchase.  Just out of curiosity, though, has a price been set for the ribbon version of the SongCenter that some folks have already ordered?

Yes, it is a $150 upgrade.

- Jim

Nuance

« Reply #25 on: 15 Apr 2009, 10:46 pm »

Yes, it is a $150 upgrade.

- Jim
Wait, the LCY ribbon upgrade to the SongCenter is only $150 upgrade?  I thought it would be $700.  If it's only $150, I am doing it.

Please correct me if I am wrong Jim.  I want to make sure there is no confusion. 

letthemusicplay

« Reply #26 on: 18 Apr 2009, 05:10 pm »
Just got my song center dome which is now matched with the ST with ribbon tweeters.  I cannot hear anything in this setup that needs improvement.  I was operating a phantom center with only ST, and the improvement has been amazing.  It does take a bit getting used to, because now you are immersed in dialogue and sounds seem to come from outside the sound stage more (although I have not moved the STs, so I am not sure how that happens).  Its awesome.  I have to get some wiring so I can get the backs hooked up (non salk product, I cheaped out), but I expect it all to be amazing in a short while. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #27 on: 18 Apr 2009, 05:44 pm »
I got to hear the ultimate Salk center channel yesterday - the Salk HT3!   aa

I was lucky to see and hear Mark's outstanding HT setup which uses three Salk HT3's for the L/C/R channels.

Here are all the speakers used in his system:

http://www.salksound.com/gallery-votm-0707-1.shtml

While my five SongTower HT setup is very good, Mark's is definitely a notch or two better.

George

ralfale

« Reply #28 on: 14 Nov 2009, 11:04 pm »
I'll like to check if there are more members with their impressions of the songcenter. Preferably comparing with other offerings from other brands or IDs.
More descriptions of the characteristic of the center will be appreciated.

Thanks.

intamin22

« Reply #29 on: 15 Nov 2009, 03:17 am »
I'll like to check if there are more members with their impressions of the songcenter. Preferably comparing with other offerings from other brands or IDs.
More descriptions of the characteristic of the center will be appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm terrible using adjectives to describe speakers, but I picked up a song center and replaced my old klipsch rf 52. The difference was great! Everything just sounded better. I run two setups on the same system that require me to swap out my speaker cables. I've forgotten to switch out my 2 channel cables for my ht a few times so I've watched entire movies with only my song center on and didn't even notice I was missing out on the left and the right. It does that good of a job. Throw in the song towers back into the mix and everything just sounds that much better. I didn't know dialog could sound so coherent and crisp, but I've never heard it sound better. All in all, it was definitely a worthy upgrade for me.

Advent75

« Reply #30 on: 17 Nov 2009, 09:50 pm »
Open below URL (& scroll down) to see a cntr spkr posted for me by Nuance a month back. Another option to consider.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72677.0

ralfale

« Reply #31 on: 17 Nov 2009, 11:46 pm »
Open below URL (& scroll down) to see a cntr spkr posted for me by Nuance a month back. Another option to consider.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72677.0

Does this HTC matches with the ST? It looks more for Veracity series.
However the front ported design does interests me i'm checking with Jim if that can be done for the SongCenter and Tower

Advent75

« Reply #32 on: 18 Nov 2009, 08:01 pm »
Ralfale:
What did Jim say?

jsalk

« Reply #33 on: 18 Nov 2009, 09:37 pm »
Ralfale:
What did Jim say?

The SongTower can be front ported - no problem.  We can use the same template and simply cut the port cut-out on the front rather than the rear of the cabinet.

A front-ported SongCenter is another matter.  We can side port without any problem, but the front baffle is not large enough to accommodate two ports in addition to the drivers.  In this case, we widen the front baffle from 18" to 23" and reduce the depth to 9.5" in order to maintain the correct internal volume.  This is not a standard SongCenter and requires some custom work.  So the price is a little higher, but we have done it and it can be done.

- Jim

srb

« Reply #34 on: 18 Nov 2009, 11:06 pm »
Wait, the LCY ribbon upgrade to the SongCenter is only $150 upgrade?  I thought it would be $700.  If it's only $150, I am doing it.

Please correct me if I am wrong Jim.  I want to make sure there is no confusion.

The $700 LCY ribbon upgrade price is for a PAIR of SongTowers including a PAIR of machined aluminum baffles.

Steve

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #35 on: 16 Dec 2009, 03:42 pm »
I have the Salk V seriesMonster Center  - in fact it's the one photographed half way down on the Salk V series monster page.

http://salksound.com/speakers_vseries_vmonstercenter.shtml

It would probably be too much for the Song Towers
but if you are thinking of the HT2 or HT3
this makes a killer center channel for Home Theatre.
Especially since most sound in movies is in the centers.

the ribbon tweeter, mid and two low drivers disappear in the room.
Details, Imaging and tonal balance are excellent.
I have it mated with a JL Audio F113 sub and it's an overwelming experience on action films.

If you have a HT salk setup try the new King Crimson Red DVD-A recording - it has material that sounds like it is coming from the side walls at the 2 and 10 o'clock positions -   5.1 and lots of interesting imaging