Data Overload - I'm Stumped!!!!

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Data Overload - I'm Stumped!!!!
« Reply #20 on: 9 Sep 2008, 01:15 pm »
While the Paradigms certainly aren't bad, IMO, they're not in the same league as the Salks.  Jim would be more than happy to discuss with you. 

For any home theater use with any speaker, a sub is pretty much mandatory for proper performance.  That said, I'd think the standard Song Towers would be an excellent choice.

Bryan

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #21 on: 9 Sep 2008, 01:17 pm »
I give up! Thanks guys, I'm going to take a look at some Paradigm speakers!

Don't give up and settle for an inferior product.

Just call Jim as many have suggested.

George

martyo

« Reply #22 on: 9 Sep 2008, 01:46 pm »
CALL JIM         CALL JIM         CALL JIM         CALL JIM         CALL JIM         CALL JIM         CALL JIM         CALL JIM         CALL JIM         CALL JIM         CALL JIM         CALL JIM         CALL JIM

MaxCast

« Reply #23 on: 9 Sep 2008, 01:46 pm »
I hate to bother Jim, he has to be busier than a two P_____ billygoat with all the speakers and such on his plate. I've considered everything from the ST's to the HT3's, just more data than I can process...appreciate all the suggestions! Thank you

You wouldn't be bothering Jim.  This is what he does, he'd be glad to talk to you.

If you really are 90% HT then I too think a book self and a sub may be wiser.  However, once you hear how good 2 channel can sound through a nice pair of ST's I bet you'd be listening to more music.

MaxCast

« Reply #24 on: 9 Sep 2008, 01:48 pm »
CALL JIM         CALL JIM         CALL JIM         CALL JIM         CALL JIM         CALL JIM         CALL JIM         CALL JIM         CALL JIM         CALL JIM         CALL JIM         CALL JIM         CALL JIM

Phone (248) 814-8062            Phone (248) 814-8062             Phone (248) 814-8062

AliG

« Reply #25 on: 9 Sep 2008, 01:56 pm »

Good!

Just make sure that you don't ever listen to another pair of speakers - especially the SongTower - after you have bought the Paradigm. aa

Mightyburner

« Reply #26 on: 9 Sep 2008, 02:03 pm »

I used to own Paradigm Studio 60s and 20's V.3 and liked them a lot.  At that time I was mostly into HT.  I now have a pair of HT-1's and I love them.  I use them solely for 2-channel. The clarity is much better than the Paradigms.  I can only  imagine what a complete set of Salks for HT would sound like.  :o  That said, Paradigms are great for the $$$ and the newer v.4s have received stellar reviews but I would go with Jim's speakers any day.

Good Luck

uw69

« Reply #27 on: 9 Sep 2008, 02:42 pm »
95% movies / 5% music? You really want the best speakers you can afford for music but for TV/movies you can get by on most anything, especially if you have a subwoofer on the side. Unless you really plan on making music a more important part of your life down the road, I'd recommend a set of monitors/bookshelfs and a subwoofer. Buying topshelf floorstanders for TV/movies is a waste of money,,,, just IMHO. :D

Cheers,
Robin

I think some people under estimate HT critical listening. With the common adoption of loseless audio tracks (Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master audio) on Blu-ray disks, outstanding audio is now avaiable in HT applications. Not to mention the ever increasing variety of concerts now available to the HT enthusist on Blu-ray. IMHO.

yooper

« Reply #28 on: 9 Sep 2008, 03:36 pm »

I'm not sure if you are serious or frustrated.  :scratch:  It seems you have already done a lot of research and the Salk's are what you want.  I don't think anyone here is trying to discourage you from buying Jim's speakers, just pointing out that anything more than the SongTowers may be overkill for your needs.  Your other option is looking into bookshelf speakers.  Jim offers a few choices and can certainly take care of that path as well, if you so choose.

If towers are really what you want and you are looking for suggestions, I would suggest the SongTowers, SongCenter, and SoundSurrounds.  As others have already said, you will need a sub for your needs no matter what speaker you decide on.  

A sub is another journey, lots to consider.  Does your room open up into adjoining rooms?  If not, a 12" sub for your 15'x12' room will work fine.   If you do have an opening to other rooms and your not sure what size you may need, I suggest you choose accordingly (not promoting Velodyne, just their wizard to help with sizing the sub) http://www.velodyne.com/wproduct/whproduct_new.aspx?sid=764t115a

Oh.. and one more thing... Call Jim  :wink:

Mar

Nuance

« Reply #29 on: 9 Sep 2008, 04:44 pm »

I think some people under estimate HT critical listening. With the common adoption of loseless audio tracks (Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master audio) on Blu-ray disks, outstanding audio is now avaiable in HT applications. Not to mention the ever increasing variety of concerts now available to the HT enthusist on Blu-ray. IMHO.
This is a very good point, one of which I agree with.  I currently have a HT and a room for 2-channel listening, but that may not be the case when we buy our house.  And if so, then I'll be keeping the SongTower's for home theater AND 2-channel music listening; they are that much better than the Rocket's I own (and the Paradigm's I've auditioned). 

Whether you chose SongTower's, HT3's, V3's or the HT3's. you're getting serious performance for the money.  So my recommendation is to pick up the SongTower or HTS package and enjoy.  For subwoofers check out SVS, Epik, Elemental Designs, HSU, AV123 or Salk's SongSub.  Remember, Jim offer's a 30 day in-home trail, so if you don't like them you simply send them back.  I have a feeling you'll like them, though.  :)

Just my $0.02

noshortcuts

« Reply #30 on: 9 Sep 2008, 05:15 pm »

A sub is another journey, lots to consider.  Does your room open up into adjoining rooms?  If not, a 12" sub for your 15'x12' room will work fine.   If you do have an opening to other rooms and your not sure what size you may need, I suggest you choose accordingly (not promoting Velodyne, just their wizard to help with sizing the sub) http://www.velodyne.com/wproduct/whproduct_new.aspx?sid=764t115a
Mar

[/quote]

I tried the Velodyne link. The only thing it suggested for my living room with high ceiling and open to a kitchen was the $11,000 Digital Drive 1812  :o. OUCH!  I hope there is a way to add a workable sub to my system with one less zero! :lol:

EDIT: I already found a calculator I like a lot better. It takes more in to account and gives more general advice: http://www.aperionaudio.com/AperionU/choose_subwoofers.aspx. This one says "a 12" sub is recommended". Now that's an answer I can live with. aa Looks like a SongSub may be a good choice after all.

uw69

« Reply #31 on: 9 Sep 2008, 08:21 pm »

This is a very good point, one of which I agree with.  I currently have a HT and a room for 2-channel listening, but that may not be the case when we buy our house.  And if so, then I'll be keeping the SongTower's for home theater AND 2-channel music listening; they are that much better than the Rocket's I own (and the Paradigm's I've auditioned). 

Whether you chose SongTower's, HT3's, V3's or the HT3's. you're getting serious performance for the money.  So my recommendation is to pick up the SongTower or HTS package and enjoy.  For subwoofers check out SVS, Epik, Elemental Designs, HSU, AV123 or Salk's SongSub.  Remember, Jim offer's a 30 day in-home trail, so if you don't like them you simply send them back.  I have a feeling you'll like them, though.  :)

Just my $0.02

I just got through listening to a friends Rocket 850's, I almost bought a pair this afternoon. They sounded wonderful in HT application. SongTowers are better than the Rockets?

AliG

« Reply #32 on: 9 Sep 2008, 08:37 pm »
I just got through listening to a friends Rocket 850's, I almost bought a pair this afternoon. They sounded wonderful in HT application. SongTowers are better than the Rockets?

If you like Rocket 850s, why wait.. jump on this deal NOW!
http://av123.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,273/category_id,19/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,37/vmcchk,1/Itemid,37/

Stop worrying, be happy.

uw69

« Reply #33 on: 9 Sep 2008, 08:57 pm »
WOW, what a great deal. Now if I can just put the Salk speakers out of my mind!  :(

Nuance

« Reply #34 on: 9 Sep 2008, 11:20 pm »

If you like Rocket 850s, why wait.. jump on this deal NOW!
http://av123.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,273/category_id,19/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,37/vmcchk,1/Itemid,37/

Stop worrying, be happy.
That is a good deal.

Nuance

« Reply #35 on: 9 Sep 2008, 11:21 pm »

Just my $0.02

In my opinion, yes they are.  I hooked up both the 850 Sig's and ST's in stereo and watched a few movies.  The SongTower's have clearer and easier to hear dialog.  However, the Rocket's are more dynamic in that you can push them to ear bleeding levels without distortion or compression.