My HT2-TL's & Question about vinyl vs digital

vortrex

Re: My HT2-TL's & Question about vinyl vs digital
« Reply #40 on: 17 May 2012, 10:27 pm »
Also, many people aren't happy with the sound until they've tried several table/cartridge/preamp combinations. It's a journey.

definitely this!  my 6th turntable in the past 11 months shows up tonight.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #41 on: 17 May 2012, 10:34 pm »
I have an old Thorens with microacoustics cart that does the basics.  I could probably get much more from vinyl and I have hundreds of albums from the 60's on, but not motivated to get started in that realm.  Yet, anyway  :lol:

.......Peter

guf

« Reply #42 on: 18 May 2012, 01:36 am »
Ok. I'm real new here, and only 72 hours into listening to my ht2-tls. I dont even have a cd player (or record player) hooked up to my speakers. Mac mini for music. 100%. (and bluray rips.) I have a Mac tower that stores all my media and flac's are transfered with a gigabyte network to mini to dac to receiver to speakers. I can control the mini from any computer in the house and access all my music. I dont have much experience with vinyl. I love analog everything, clocks, thermometers, I like cords on my tools, I rarely uses wireless....I even have an antenna to get hd tv. ALL of those because I think the quality is better. To listen to vinyl would fit right into my program. I recently have been wondering if its too late for me to jump into the vinyl scene. But for some reason I love the digital music technology. I've excepted jitter and digital sound's slight imperfections to be like the warm sounding cracks and pops in vinyl. :)

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
« Reply #43 on: 18 May 2012, 01:48 am »
Also, many people aren't happy with the sound until they've tried several table/cartridge/preamp combinations. It's a journey.

Guess I've been fortunate... 2 turntables, 2 cartridges and one pre, with under $1,200 invested in infrastructure for this "dead" format...  and enjoying the music immensely. 

There's always going to be something "better."  Doesn't upgraditis span all formats?  Seems DACs are being turned over at a very rate in recent times, thanks to the proliferation of new options with reportedly high QPR. 

Nasty affliction indeed. :icon_twisted:  :rock:

ThomasKott

« Reply #44 on: 19 May 2012, 04:28 am »
I have an OPPO Blu-Ray/SACD player (83).  I belive these have fairly good DAC's in them.  If I purchased a separate DAC, would  I run the OPPO into it as well?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #45 on: 19 May 2012, 06:29 am »
I have an OPPO Blu-Ray/SACD player (83).  I belive these have fairly good DAC's in them.  If I purchased a separate DAC, would  I run the OPPO into it as well?
Unless you hear anything to the contrary, I would say yes.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #46 on: 19 May 2012, 06:35 am »
This is the first time in 65 years that I have said this aloud.  Digital is better, but I still prefer to listen to vinyl if given a choice.  Somehow the music from my vinyl rig just moves me more.   :duh:

Classical music is the only type of music that I would reach for the CD copy before the vinyl record.

Bob
Wow, Bob.  You listen to much classical music?  Perhaps you're not a long time collector of the genre?  The reverse is true for me. 

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #47 on: 19 May 2012, 12:44 pm »
Jim

I agree,

I've never heard digital fully reproduce violins and other string instruments

Nuance

« Reply #48 on: 19 May 2012, 05:04 pm »
Jim

I agree,

I have, on many different systems.  Pay a visit to Jim, Pete, TJHUB or my home and you'll here it in all it's glory, accurate timbre and tonality and all. ;)

fsimms

« Reply #49 on: 19 May 2012, 06:50 pm »
Wow, Bob.  You listen to much classical music?  Perhaps you're not a long time collector of the genre?  The reverse is true for me.

You may be right.  I don't listen to classical much and my vinyl collection of classical music is very poor.  I haven't bought a new classical album in 30 years.

I may have spoken too soon about digital sounding better than vinyl as I got a Haggerman Piccolo head amp for my phono preamp and I am amazed by the quality of my vinyl.  I now feel that I have one of the finest vinyl system than I have ever heard. I was blown away at the last RMAF by the Lyra, ARC, Vandersteen $150k+ vinyl system at the last RMAF.  As unreliable as audio memory is, I feel that I am  approaching a similar sound.  Less than one fifth the price too.  :thumb:

Bob

Bob

fsimms

« Reply #50 on: 19 May 2012, 06:54 pm »

I did find an old Los Angeles String Quartet LP and it sure did sound good.

Bob

roscoeiii

« Reply #51 on: 19 May 2012, 07:07 pm »
And oh man can classical vinyl be picked up for cheap. Got the complete Beethoven (bicentennial DG set) for $45. That is an 85 LP set.

audiotom

• for everything music
« Reply #52 on: 19 May 2012, 09:17 pm »
wow Rosco  nice find

and classical used lps tend to be mint or near mint in condition!

paying $1-2 dollars an album and sometimes that much for a box set is something I love about it

roscoeiii

« Reply #53 on: 19 May 2012, 09:45 pm »
wow Rosco  nice find

and classical used lps tend to be mint or near mint in condition!

paying $1-2 dollars an album and sometimes that much for a box set is something I love about it

Yeah I was psyched. And I found the set on day I was feeling pretty down. And then there are the LPs not available in any other format. Dolphy in Berlin, Mingus in Paris. Some great obscure stuff that never made it to digital.

audiotom

• for everything music
« Reply #54 on: 19 May 2012, 09:57 pm »
I snapped up Mingus in Monterrey one day
couldn't believe it

roscoeiii

« Reply #55 on: 19 May 2012, 10:02 pm »
yeah, a mono Mingus Blues & Roots for under $10 was a score I was ecstatic with.

vintagebob

« Reply #56 on: 19 May 2012, 10:52 pm »

You would use the "Coax" or "Optical" out from the Oppo to the external DAC.  This output bypasses the internal DACs of the Oppo.

HDMI to the SC-07 will utilize the DACs in the SC-07.