Small monitors - big performance

jsalk

Small monitors - big performance
« on: 16 Nov 2011, 09:09 pm »
James wanted a bookshelf speaker for his New York apartment.  He wanted high quality sound in a very small and portable package.  He didn't need great bass extension but wanted state-of-the-art performance.  We discussed driver options and settled on our standard RAAL ribbon tweeter coupled with 5" ScanSpeak Illuminator drivers.

He also requested that the cabinets be fashioned out of bamboo, but wanted ebony veneer.

Here is a picture...

And a close-up...

James injured his back and doesn't want to unpack speakers until he feels better.  So we'll be listening to these for a while before they ship.

When they do ship, happy listening James!

- Jim

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Re: Small monitors - big performance
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2011, 09:23 pm »
Must have a pair!  Nice stuff!!

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2011, 09:30 pm »
What physical size are they?

Wayner

groovybassist

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2011, 09:46 pm »
I have a small monitor fetish (my only vice of course) and these look great.  Love the idea of small, high-performance speakers.  An idea of rough pricing would be great to know.  Thanks.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2011, 10:06 pm »
Those are gorgeous.  Are they 4 or 8 ohms, and what sensitivity?

Thanks,
Roy in TX

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2011, 10:44 pm »
BINGO!!!! How much Jim??? Please PM me with info on that speaker in stock cabinet. Thanks Jim!!!

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2011, 10:51 pm »
  The impedance is 8 ohms.   Sensitivity is low.  Scan specs the woofer at at 83.4 dB.  I think that's too conservative, but after taking into account the crossover with baffle step compensation,
the system sensitivity is close to that.  Not a candidate for SET's.

Meicheng

« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2011, 11:02 pm »
Those are beautiful (as are all the pics Jim posts).  With a nice solid state power amp and tube preamp I bet those would really sing. 

ratso

« Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2011, 12:12 am »
so let's get this straight ed. are you trying to ask how much the speakers cost?  :green:

those are really cool btw

pansixt

« Reply #9 on: 17 Nov 2011, 12:24 am »
With all of the images we have seen lately of Salk speakers in various finishes of Bamboo, I really have to rethink my preferred material and finish.

These are bad ass. 8)

James

Edit: I should mention that I am not the James that is awaiting these babies.
Damn!!!!

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 17 Nov 2011, 12:29 pm »
so let's get this straight ed. are you trying to ask how much the speakers cost?  :green:

those are really cool btw

YUP!!!!!!! I want some and I really hope they are under 1K, hopefully a lot under. I would even supply cabinets!!!
 LOL...I am nuts  ratso!!! :no_see: :no_hear: :no_speak:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 17 Nov 2011, 12:48 pm »
hope they are under 1K,

I think you're dreamin' BIG time!  Look at the cost of drivers alone. 

jsalk

« Reply #12 on: 17 Nov 2011, 01:01 pm »
I think you're dreamin' BIG time!  Look at the cost of drivers alone. 

Right.  I haven't taken the time to compute the cost yet, but the drivers alone are about $1500.  Then you have the crossover parts, the cost of building the crossover, binding posts (probably want good ones) and the cost of building and finishing the cabinets.  So the cost would probably be at least $2500 per pair...perhaps more.  The fact that they are small has no particular bearing on their cost.

- Jim 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 17 Nov 2011, 01:02 pm »
Right.  I haven't taken the time to compute the cost yet, but the drivers alone are about $1500.  Then you have the crossover parts, the cost of building the crossover, binding posts (probably want good ones) and the cost of building and finishing the cabinets.  So the cost would probably be at least $2500 per pair...perhaps more.  The fact that they are small has no particular bearing on their cost.

- Jim

Yep.  I figured $2850ish.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 17 Nov 2011, 01:39 pm »
You never know unless you ask right. I'm still a bit newish to this whole thing so I'll take a little slack....LOL....I bet they sound awesome though even though its a huge stretch for me. Someday.... :thumb:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #15 on: 17 Nov 2011, 01:40 pm »
You never know unless you ask right. I'm still a bit newish to this whole thing so I'll take a little slack....LOL....I bet they sound awesome though even though its a huge stretch for me. Someday.... :thumb:

There's always Song Surrounds.  They are monitors.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 17 Nov 2011, 01:46 pm »
Big Red I like your thinking......there is always a way, sorta.
The thing is though I gotta do a Raal Tweeter, I wonder how close in sound the Fountek Ribbons are to Raal ones. I know the cost difference is huge but maybe Jim has heard both or you my friend Jason. Are we talking night and day difference...seriously. Is it Porsche or Ferrari compared to Fountek??

I'm curious so don't bust my balls OK.....Jason..LOL :thumb:

Nuance

« Reply #17 on: 17 Nov 2011, 02:00 pm »
Those are truly stunning!  You're a luck man, James; welcome to the Salk family!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #18 on: 17 Nov 2011, 02:12 pm »
Big Red I like your thinking......there is always a way, sorta.
The thing is though I gotta do a Raal Tweeter, I wonder how close in sound the Fountek Ribbons are to Raal ones. I know the cost difference is huge but maybe Jim has heard both or you my friend Jason. Are we talking night and day difference...seriously. Is it Porsche or Ferrari compared to Fountek??

I'm curious so don't bust my balls OK.....Jason..LOL :thumb:

That's for Dennis or Jim.  I would say the Fountek is close but not quite a smooth.  But if you are trying to get the price lower it sounds like a decent option.

ricardojoa

« Reply #19 on: 17 Nov 2011, 02:16 pm »
Wow, those look really cute. Jim, i didnt know you do these type of custom design.
Can i ask if you would design anopen baffle system 3 way with Raal? I dont need super expensive driver. Just adequate for application and i wanted them to be small/monitor. Im after great sound stage and ambience and your quality finish.
Thank you.