Anybody have experience with the VAC CPA-1 series preamps?

JakeJ

Nevermind.
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2009, 01:53 am by JakeJ »

rich121

Re: Anybody have experience with the VAC CPA-1 series preamps?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2009, 07:08 pm »
Hello!

I just purchased a VAC CPA-1 MKIII...
Coincidently, I was doing the same search you posted, and only came up with your post.

There doesn't seem to be many owners or information on the web about this preamp.
Do you own one?

Another coincidence, is that we live near each other. I see you list that your in South Eastern Washington... I'm in Yakima, Washington...

Small world.....

I should be getting the CPA-1 in a week or so.. my check has to clear 1st...

my email address is: 

rich_121@msn.com

Rick

JakeJ

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2009, 02:01 am »
Enjoy the preamp, Rick.  If that's the one from Audio Image in San Francisco, CA then it's the same one I was going to buy.  Ya beat me to it!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Jake

arthurs

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2009, 02:05 am »
Give Kevin Hayes at VAC a call, genuinely decent guy and straight shooter who can tell you anything you want to know...congrats on your new pre!

mfsoa

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2009, 03:19 am »
In a recent email I sent to Kevin, I asked him if he'd be interested in having a presence on AC.  :oops: :dunno:

I know there are at least a few fans here.

-Mike

rich121

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2009, 03:28 am »
Hello Jake, Arthur and Mike,

Yes, it is the same preamp..what are the odds of that?

I already talked with Kevin at length and just wanted to hear from actual users, and get an unbiased view. Yes, I have heard all the great things about Kevin, but... it is still his "baby"    :)

And yes, that would be nice to have Kevin here... so few from the Manufacturing side frequent the forums... they need to have "thick" skin and golden tongues, but most prefer to not post much.

Rick

JakeJ

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2009, 04:44 am »
Hi Rick,

I'd say the odds are high but not entirely astronomical.  :lol:

Well I gotta ask, what are your associated electronics and speakers?

You will find a link in my signature to my system and as you can see I have a pair of VAC PA-160 monoblocks that I wanted to mate to that preamp.  Not that my current preamp is any slouch but I thought there would be better synergy with a VAC preamp.  Since it's just a bit over an hour drive from TC to Yakima perhaps you's consider a GTG for comparison.  I'd certainly be willing to haul my amps up for it.  Of course only after you've had some time to get accustomed to the unit, there's no hurry.  Just a thought.

Take care,
Jake

rich121

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2009, 08:07 am »
Hello Jake,

My system includes:

Main Speakers:   Green Mountain Audio "Continuum 3"
Subs:                JL Audio Fantom F113's (pair)
Amp:                 Edge NL12.1
SACD/CD:           Sony SCD-1
Turntable:         Technics SP-10 MKII mounted on factory Obsidian plinth (SL-1000) with either EPA-500 series base/arms or Fidelity Research FR-64s arm...various Fidelity Research, Ortofon,                             
                       Shure, Music Maker III, etc. cartridges

As for an "optimum" listening session, that would not be good here. My system is only in "temporary listening" mode.. set up very poorly, as my house is in perpetual "remodel" mode.

I would not mind bringing the preamp over for you to hear in your system, if that's ok with you?
Besides, if you really want to know what it will sound like, that would be best, as the match between your amps/speakers are more important than hearing over my speakers/your amps. I know that amp/speaker synergy is just as important as preamp/amp synergy.

Let me know what you think.

Rick

JakeJ

« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2009, 06:00 pm »
Hi Rick,

Nice system, sir.  The GMA products are something I am interested in and would love to hear them some time.

Let's try to work out a meeting time.  I offered to come there as I felt it would be rude just to ask you to come here but you are right, it would be most beneficial to me to hear the preamp in my system.  I really appreciate the offer.  I will say that the Hales I am using are not my final speakers and am still on the hunt for something more permanent.  They will suffice for the present.

Thanks again,
Jake

PS - Sorry for the late response.  I work graveyard and was already headed to work when you posted last night.

rich121

« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2009, 07:20 am »
Jake,

How about if I contact you when the preamp arrives?
I can then bring it over and you can set it up in your system and see how it sounds.
As for your speakers, I have always read very good things about the Hales, what is it about them that you feel is lacking?

Well...I better get off to bed now... have a great day!

Rick