Powered sub(s) for small rooms and position

Denton J

Powered sub(s) for small rooms and position
« on: 2 Jul 2023, 01:53 am »
I was browsing here https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=58304.20 for info on small rooms with subs.  My home office is a small room (12L x 10 1/2w 12H) The beginning articles in the provided link assume 20x 20 rooms.

Thus, initially I was considering 2 subs but I don't know if 2 are necessary.
And, I generally listen to night time listening levels here.  I have GR Research LGK 2.1's or eventually the Nx bookshelves or another GR build.

I was thinking of getting a down firing small sub (KEF), (Martin Logan) or Rel 5x and place the sub really close to my sitting position instead of with the bookshelves. 

My question, does anyone have experience with subs close to their sitting area & is my approach of 1 sub way off? 

Mike-48

Re: Powered sub(s) for small rooms and position
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2023, 03:16 am »
The SVS 3000 Micro might be worth considering. It is more adjustable than many subs (it uses a smartphone app), and that can help in getting a good blend. But so much depends on the room and on placement, it's hard to give general advice.

The main reason to use >1 sub is to get smoother frequency response across space and at the main listening spot. But it may not be necessary in any given situation. For a small system, I'd definitely start with one sub and try several positions to see which sounds best. While it's not an absolute necessity, measurement capability (even a smartphone app) can help in setup.

I use one sub in my desktop system. The sub is on the lower shelf of my computer desk and thus less than 12 inches from my feet.

Denton J

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2023, 03:54 am »
Thanks!

AllanS

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jul 2023, 05:13 am »
I don’t have any experience but have seen more than one PS Audio video reference to subs on rear walls or directly behind the listening position.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 2 Jul 2023, 10:50 am »
Recommend reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" (either edition) to learn how bass reacts in rooms.  Unfortunately he suggests using 3 or 4 subs, located either in the corners or midway along each wall.  According to Toole your small square room should be a bass disaster with bass reinforced from all three primary directions at roughly 95 Hz.  I tried auditioning loudspeakers in an 11 ft glass cube (at an audio dealer) years ago.  The effect was horrible, triple reinforcement at 100 Hz. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 2 Jul 2023, 02:34 pm »
Recommend reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" (either edition) to learn how bass reacts in rooms.  Unfortunately he suggests using 3 or 4 subs, located either in the corners or midway along each wall.  According to Toole your small square room should be a bass disaster with bass reinforced from all three primary directions at roughly 95 Hz.  I tried auditioning loudspeakers in an 11 ft glass cube (at an audio dealer) years ago.  The effect was horrible, triple reinforcement at 100 Hz. 

You are exactly right.  This is why I like open baffle subs plus EQ.  They remove the side to side mode entirely via physics and then EQ can clean up the other modes pretty easily.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 2 Jul 2023, 03:31 pm »
 If you use one sub try in between the speakers. If two in corners. Then listen, you will know. Maybe try a speaker that goes down lower in lieu of sub.

charles

Freo-1

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jul 2023, 03:35 pm »
You are exactly right.  This is why I like open baffle subs plus EQ.  They remove the side to side mode entirely via physics and then EQ can clean up the other modes pretty easily.

I use a SVS cylinder subwoofer (PC4000).  The DSP with the sub is pretty good.  Once set, the cylinder sub option works rather well.  Also takes up less space than the box solutions.

Denton J

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jul 2023, 08:48 pm »
If you use one sub try in between the speakers. If two in corners. Then listen, you will know. Maybe try a speaker that goes down lower in lieu of sub.

charles

I was thinking about getting new speakers that can go lower. I've been looking for a reason to try Zu DW6's.  If I still need a sub, GR R open doubles never entered my realm of possibilities in my small office.  Seems like many options.

Customer service goes a long way with me.  I've had great experiences with GR R & SVS.  If I have to grab a sub I'll probably end up with one of those two.

Denton J

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jul 2023, 08:52 pm »
. (double post, sorry guys)

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #10 on: 4 Jul 2023, 10:18 pm »
I was thinking about getting new speakers that can go lower. I've been looking for a reason to try Zu DW6's.  If I still need a sub, GR R open doubles never entered my realm of possibilities in my small office.  Seems like many options.

Customer service goes a long way with me.  I've had great experiences with GR R & SVS.  If I have to grab a sub I'll probably end up with one of those two.

If you run digital as your source look elsewhere. Maybe to detailed or dry.  The GR will be overpowering. The small SVS though a good fit IMHO. Have you heard of Vanatoo Speakers. Great for a small space. Go low and are self powered to boot.  Options, options. Have fun Man this is what it is all about.

charles

Freo-1

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jul 2023, 11:27 pm »
Which is why I mentioned the SVS Cylinder option.  Great for smaller rooms, takes up less space, great performance.

Denton J

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jul 2023, 12:16 am »
Which is why I mentioned the SVS Cylinder option.  Great for smaller rooms, takes up less space, great performance.

I am looking into the differences between the 2k & 4k cylinder pro. I have to deep dive into the above mentioned book sound reproduction.

artur9

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jul 2023, 02:25 am »
...Thus, initially I was considering 2 subs but I don't know if 2 are necessary. ...

Nearfield subs for a single listener is a thing.  Multiple subs are necessary for a smooth response in a volume of space.  Since it's only for you, you'd be fine putting the one sub under your chair.

At that point, if you decide you'd like to not have to be glued to one spot, then multiple subs may become necessary.  Or not if your room has the right characteristics.

Having said all that, my best setup was stereo subs with other subs used to address room modes.  That was a big space, like 30x40 feet.