Built a birdhouse

Big Red Machine

Built a birdhouse
« on: 14 Nov 2010, 02:52 pm »
My admin is retiring Friday after 37 years of service.  Her husband retired over 5 years ago from our company also.  They are super people and have converted a farmhouse into a home:  http://www.livingstondaily.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=C6&Dato=20080119&Kategori=LIFESTYLE&Lopenr=119001&Ref=PH

So I thought a great parting gift might be a replica of their house as a birdhouse so I finally completed it yesterday!

So I cobbled together different hobby elements to make this happen.  I found some 1/2" scale cedar shakes for the siding and stained them with a colander and applied each with tweezers and builder's glue.  I caved in on the lap siding and used model RR styrene and epoxied it on.  Hopefully it will withstand the elements.  The roofing is ribbed dollhouse roofing that I painted and screwed onto the roof frame.

I poly'd the entire outside several times.  The roof is removable to allow cleanout and the little birdies have steps to egress.  I used a middle-of-the-road hole size at 1.25" and extended the roof overhang for more protection.

Phil A

Re: Built a birdhouse
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2010, 02:56 pm »
Looks more like a Bird McMansion to me!!! :o

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2010, 03:47 pm »
A fun project but attaching all those cedar pieces was tedious.

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2010, 09:47 am »
Looks nice! Lot of work. A very different climate there obviously, as I was wondering where all the windows were... (Actually I just bought a birdhouse, not exactly on purpose, tied the dog to it when I went into the pet store and the dog pulled it over and then dragged it halfway up the road freaked out of her mind... wish it was as nice as that one.)