program for designing back loaded horn

versus rider

program for designing back loaded horn
« on: 22 May 2013, 07:39 am »
as the title, I would like to be able to model some back loaded horn cabinets for voxativ field coil drivers, having heard voxativs Ampeggio Due, a huge square panel about 150mm deep with the bass running through a folded horn and exiting at the base. At £55,000 for the base model that's way out of my league but the field coils although very expensive are within reach. For those that are not familiar with voxativ, they are similar to lowthers without lowthers shortcomings, i.e. deep bass and no nasty peaks to shout at you. So a program to calc a BLH would be much appreciated.

JohnR

Re: program for designing back loaded horn
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2013, 07:49 am »
MJKs worksheets might do the trick? (Not gotten around to using them myself yet...)

http://www.quarter-wave.com/Back_Door/MathCad_Models.html

JCS

« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2013, 01:18 pm »
+1 to JohnR's suggestion.  MJK's MathCAD worksheets are great! 

I was at first put off from using them because they run in MathCAD.  But Martin has a download of MathCAD Explorer on his site--the free trial version of MathCAD.  It runs on my old PC just fine.  If you don't have a PC or are running the latest version of Windows (which might have issues with the older software), consider picking up an old PC with, say Win 98, for cheap.  Alternatively, IIRC, there is a book on MathCAD which comes with MathCAD v14 available for a reasonable price.

And he has a support group on Yahoo which you may find helpful.

Cheers, Jim

versus rider

« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2013, 03:33 pm »
that s all way over my head, a drawing of the designed horn is what I need, tailored to the driver I have in mind. Surely someone would be up for the challenge.

JCS

« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2013, 01:45 pm »
 :scratch:
Didn't you just say in your first post:  "I would like to be able to model some back loaded horn cabinets for voxativ field coil drivers..."?

Now you want a finished drawing?   :duh:

Then all I can say is, search is your friend...

Good luck,  Jim