Spatial M3 Triode vs newer models

Berner

Spatial M3 Triode vs newer models
« on: 20 Jan 2021, 06:06 pm »
I have opportunity to acquire a 3 year old pair of Spatial M3 Triode master speakers and was wondering how they compare to newer models.  My price range includes new M3 sapphire or X5.

integrated Amp is Hegel 390 or Marantz PM ki Ruby (long story, but one will be going).

Room is huge: one end of 40' x 15' wide with 15' sloping ceilings, but I don't play loud i.e. 70-75db majority of time (if iPhone app is accurate)

Thanks for your time..

2bigears

Re: Spatial M3 Triode vs newer models
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2021, 09:59 pm »
 :D x5 wouldn't you think ? Seriously good bass. Can't beat servo.  :D

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2021, 10:12 pm »
new models seem to take steps forward from the triode master.  get the best one you can afford. 

Mr. Big

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2021, 07:53 pm »
You will not wrong with either model, the man to talk to is Clayton he will tell you the best between the M3 and the X5 depending on your room and setup, for me he told me to go with the M3's. It was dead right, so trust him. You have some nice gear by the way. You should be happy with either after the break-in period. I'm in a loft with no wall behind me due to being on the 2nd level with the family room below me on the 1st level.

« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2021, 12:04 am by Mr. Big »

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2021, 08:39 pm »
Mr. Big,

What speaker is in the picture?

jjss49

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2021, 05:41 pm »
op

my understanding (not personal experience, as i have not had the older spatial models) is that the new sapphire series uses new drivers, and in particular, the upper freq driver such that the speaker's resolution and 'liveliness' is enhanced greatly versus the older series - some will bemoan the new speaker sounds too hot up top... it does smooth out considerably with break in - but that is the main difference

others say that the bass response is also better, but i think that is a secondary level of difference, more difference up top and thru the upper midrange

i suspect at the end of the day, system matching could get both speakers to play very well, subject to personal tastes on a smoother versus a more visceral sound

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2021, 06:14 pm »
X5 is quite a bit better. I have had both models.

morganc

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2021, 10:29 pm »
X5 is quite a bit better. I have had both models.

As have I.

For your size space, I'd go X-5.   

Berner

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2021, 10:00 pm »
Thanks everyone.