Looking for thoughts on this 2nd hand SWL.

HPower

Looking for thoughts on this 2nd hand SWL.
« on: 18 Mar 2007, 03:25 pm »
Hey Guys,

I have been looking to get a Modwright pre and I have responded to this ad over at Agon:

cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.p...

It reads exactly like what I was hoping to come up with, a "Signature Edition".

But after doing a little digging I discover (based on running the S/N by Dan) that in fact it has a build date from 2 years ago and is one of the first 50 "Special Editions" made.
I don't think the seller was aware of this until I told him.

I then spoke to the dealer that sold the unit to my Agon seller and he tells me that it was sold as new a few months ago and that he has had it for about 8 months previous to that.
He said that Dan sold it to him (approx. 10 months ago) as one of the 1st SWL's that he fitted the tube rectified PS with. The dealer mentioned that it was played as a demo in the store, with a lot of people inquiring if Dan was going to offer this PS version as a production model. As they say, "the rest is history".

I was already to jump on this one based on the ad but, to me, the unit really isn't how I originally interpreted the sellers ad.

What do you guys think?

arthurs

Re: Looking for thoughts on this 2nd hand SWL.
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2007, 03:42 pm »
It's hard to tell exactly what you're concerned about....is it the age of the unit or that it was a prototype for the new PS?

AB

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2007, 05:07 pm »
If Dan vouched for the unit and it's what you want, I see no problems.

$2100 or so is what you would pay if you were to buy a used standard SWL and have Dan upgrade it with the new PSU anyway.

But I would say the sellers 10/10 rating is misleading if he is aware of the units history.

HPower

« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2007, 06:30 pm »
My biggest concern would be that this SWL might not match Dan's current production model, as the ad made me think.
With the PS being a pre production sample from almost a year ago, I am sure Dan has tweaked and twiddled before
he was satisfied enough to release the tube PS as an official model?
Dan didn't have much more to add to what I have already said regarding the history, he initially didn't even recall it
as having the early tube rectifier installed.

And I agree with you AB, a 2yr old unit with a 10mth old PS is not what I would call a 10/10.
To be fair to the seller, I am pretty sure he was not aware of this.

In the last month or so I have seen a few SWL's listing around $1400-1450 and assuming they
go for close to the asking price, plus $500 for PS...$1900+/-.
Now if this was a "Signature Edition", $2100 would be a fair price (900 of MSLP, and nobody pays list...do they :nono:)
By the way, $2100 is what the Agon seller paid his dealer for the preamp, a few months ago.

The seller seems like a very good guy and cosmetically his pre looks very clean.

HPower

« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2007, 06:38 pm »
tvad4,

Thanks for the tube suggestion, since my interest started for the SWL I have been reading most of the
tube threads but I am a tube newbee so I welcome the recommendations.  :?

On that note, what do you think of the tubes that my seller also has for sale:

"Also installed vintage 1957 Tung Sol 5687 tubes that takes the midrange to a georgeous and liquid level."

Are these two tubes worth $200?

AB

« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2007, 12:00 am »
I have 3 or 4 pairs of late '50s TS 5687 black plates and none cost more than $60 each. I think the $60 ones were cryoed too. But, to be fair, prices are all over the place for tubes these days.

HPower

« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2007, 02:34 am »
Thanks guys,

Hey tvad4, I have bookmarked that link for future reference, thanks.
I thought it sounded a little pricey for 2 small tube, but like I said, I don't really
have any idea.

Well, I just heard from my seller and he has excepted an offer of $2200 so my search continues.
After learning some of the history, I am not really heart broken.

tl1000sv

« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2007, 06:52 pm »
The two times I've sent my SWL 9.0SE back to Dan (including the recent upgrade to Signature) Dan has graciously updated the circuit with the latest tweaks and revisions.

This has been an interesting thread, but if I were in the buyer's position, I wouldn't have thought twice about buying an "old" 9.0SE, particularly if it had just come back with the manufacturer's overhaul stamp.

I don't see too many rectified SWL's on the market yet.  Maybe you should intentionally buy a ss-rectified SWL and do the tube rectifier upgrade along with a full checkout/update from Dan.

Tim

HPower

« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2007, 08:20 pm »
Hi Tim,

To be honest, that is what my plan was going to be and then I saw the ad in question and was excited at the prospect of some 1 stop shopping.
I live just outside of Toronto, Canada and shipping twice would not be the end of the world but it is a bid more  work/expensive going accross the border.
It has been close to a year since this particular unit had been touched by Dan so I am not sure how up to date it is.
I may still go the route that you suggest or maybe try to find a good price on a brand new Signature... then I know what I am getting.

Are you happy with the result from your recent upgrade to Signature?

I am guessing that you are a fellow motorcyclist from your name. I am currently riding a 04 ZX10r but have always been a Honda guy,
hence my name... Honda Power.
My last Honda was a RC51 (until it was stolen in 2004) so I also have a warm spot for Vtwin sport bikes.  :thumb:

Tom

tl1000sv

« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2007, 11:35 pm »
Well the simple solution to shipping twice is to have your seller ship directly to Dan for the Signature upgrade.

Regarding performance of the Signature.  I don't think I can derive succinct comparisons to the standard model, because my audio memory isn't that good (although Dan did turn it around in under 2 weeks, door to door).  He also updated some of the caps from Sonicaps to his new house design, so there is an additional variable.

So, I hadn't planned on posting on my happiness until I had some more time with the Signature, but since you ask...  My impression is that the delivery is smooth and effortless, and just a bit rounded.  Rounded is not an adjective I considered before, so I'm guessing there is just a bit more euphony from the Signature.  Yet, the musical detail is still there on all my reference recordings, and this would seem to be the best of both worlds.

I had previously experimented with tube dampers and eventually settled on not using them, but I'm planning on trying them again as I become accustomed to the new sound.  For reference, I am running old stock Tung Sol 5687's.  Now, it's quite possible the new caps have not completely broken in.  I haven't seen much commentary from Dan or others on what his branded caps do better or how long they need for stabilization.

The build quality and layout of the new power supply board is just beautiful.  Almost inevitably when I see a piece of equipment and the power supply is more complex than the audio circuitry, it's an excellent design.

Yeah, I ride, but not nearly as much as in years past.  I used to be a Kawi guy - GPz550, GPz750, Ninja 1000 (ZX1000R), ZX10 (the original), ZX9R (the original).  Then I went for the Suzuki TL1000S (as evidenced) and now a Ducati S4R.  Twins are where it's at :-)

Tim