Why do some like it hot? Question on biasing

hartwerger

Why do some like it hot? Question on biasing
« on: 30 Aug 2007, 09:42 pm »
While reading over the thread on tube biasing, part 1 and was wondering how the bias effects the sound.   It seems there are more than a few who like to bias their amps high.   I've read some who say that a high bias gives a rich and warmer tone, while others suggest it can compress the sound.   Are there people that like lower bias like there are those who like it hot? Does the bias setting have any effect on the power output on an amp or effect the point at which a Class A/B might switch from Class A to Class B?  Does a change in bias effect the gain or input/output impedances in any way?  Just wondering why and how the bias effects the sound.  Personally, I have kept my RM-10 bias at the recommended range, but that's more of being a nervous nilly when it comes to experimenting than any personal preference for that setting.  I have had the bias as low as 280mV and as high as 305mV.  I suppose that is not much of a change on the RM-10 because I never detected much, if any, difference in the sound.  Nonetheless, still curious as to why others play with it and what it does.  Thanks.

« Last Edit: 7 Sep 2007, 03:17 pm by hartwerger »