Peterborough?

Twiga

Peterborough?
« on: 16 Dec 2023, 03:56 pm »
@James:

You mentioned in one of the topic areas that Bryston’s Peterborough repair facility has been shut down and moved to Dwight. Has the whole Peterborough operation been shut down? If I have to bring a piece of equipment in for repair (highly unlikely!), would I have to drop it off in Dwight now?

:scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Peterborough?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2023, 05:29 pm »
Hi Twiga

Yes everything is now in Dwight.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2023, 07:41 pm »
It's a 100 mile drive from Peterborough to Dwight. Were all of the Peterborough employees kept?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2023, 10:56 pm »
All those that wanted to move yes but a lot retired and others just moved on.

james

VinceT

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2023, 12:47 am »
They are fishing

R. Daneel

« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2023, 01:49 pm »
All those that wanted to move yes but a lot retired and others just moved on.

james

Hi James!

Were you able to help find other employment opportunities for those who didn't want to or couldn't move to Dwight?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2023, 02:23 pm »
I believe we did what we could for those that asked but some retired or moved on to other jobs in the area.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2023, 03:29 pm »
I believe we did what we could for those that asked but some retired or moved on to other jobs in the area.

james

Hi James!

Yes, this can be nasty business and there is always turmoil when companies change location. Well, at least you stayed in Canada and didn't outsource to some other country. I hope the employees who left found solid employment elsewhere in Peterborough.

This is perhaps a topic for a separate thread but I wanted to ask you anyway - now that you have everything 'under one roof' so to speak, do you feel like you will be able to provide products of higher quality? During the last several months, I've read several of your memos referring to acquisition of new machinery - an SMT laying robot and a high-pressure water cutter for the enclosures. Is this going to make production more uniform and reduce the chance of manufacturing deviations and defects?

Also, is the same going to be valid for Magnum Dynalab products? This brand has been known for a more 'traditional' approach (for a lack of a better word) to circuit design. Is this going to affect the M/D products as well or will they continue the operation 'their own way'? I don't even know if you're involved in M/D, sorry. If you are not, can you please point me into the right direction where I may ask these questions?

Cheers,
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 26 Dec 2023, 05:27 pm »
Hi Antun

Yes the machinery acquisition was a response to COVID where many of our suppliers had lead times many times the norm. So we decided to become more of a 'manufacturer' and less of an 'assembler'.
So far we have brought about 90% of our production capabilities in house and we are really our own masters at this point.

I can not say quality would be any different as we always worked with quality suppliers and the design side of the business is still as it has always been as all our engineers are still with us.

As a bonus we are starting to get some OEM business with other audio companies that can not buy parts in huge numbers with other suppliers come to us as we can accommodate smaller amounts.

As for Magnum - they were getting ready to develop a number of more modern products under the DYNAMYTE Series and our plan is to continue down that rood.

best
james

R. Daneel

« Reply #9 on: 26 Dec 2023, 06:14 pm »
Hi Antun

Yes the machinery acquisition was a response to COVID where many of our suppliers had lead times many times the norm. So we decided to become more of a 'manufacturer' and less of an 'assembler'.
So far we have brought about 90% of our production capabilities in house and we are really our own masters at this point.

I can not say quality would be any different as we always worked with quality suppliers and the design side of the business is still as it has always been as all our engineers are still with us.

As a bonus we are starting to get some OEM business with other audio companies that can not buy parts in huge numbers with other suppliers come to us as we can accommodate smaller amounts.

As for Magnum - they were getting ready to develop a number of more modern products under the DYNAMYTE Series and our plan is to continue down that rood.

best
james

Thank you for an elaborate reply, James! It is much appreciated!

Now that you have all this machinery and as a result, a manufacturing capacity that exceeds your own needs, it makes perfect sense to manufacture parts and/or boards for other smaller manufacturers. In essence, from having to outsource, you are now in the position that others outsource to you! Well done!

I believe not many small boutique manufacturers can say that. Also, please keep making those memos, they are an interesting read.

I think Bryston handled the crisis well. The Covid-19, the sudden and tragic loss of Mr. Russel who meant more than people on this forum realise etc. Not an easy task.

I must say though, one thing I will miss is the architecture of the Peterborough factory. If I designed a building like that here in Europe, it would be a hit and every industrialist would want one, at least before they saw the cost estimate.

Best to you too in the New Year, James!
Cheers,
Antun

Pontifex

« Reply #10 on: 29 Dec 2023, 03:15 pm »
I would have pushed to move Axiom to Peterborough. Closer to Home Depot and Costco  :lol:

I hope the move and inegration went smoothly for both Bryston and Axiom employees. It must have been a major undertaking.

I once had a tour of the shop in Peterborough. Would love to take a tour of the Dwight Axiom/Bryston facility one day, James.

Would that maybe be a possibility in 2024?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 29 Dec 2023, 04:29 pm »
Sure - lots of renovations these days but come summer would be a nice trip. :thumb:

james

Pontifex

« Reply #12 on: 29 Dec 2023, 05:19 pm »
Glad to hear it!

Will touch base on that closer to summer.

mrhyfy

« Reply #13 on: 29 Dec 2023, 07:22 pm »
Sure - lots of renovations these days but come summer would be a nice trip. :thumb:

james

Maybe have an open house for AC members in good standing?

aeyb701

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jan 2024, 08:25 pm »
I work in Peterborough and live just outside. I’m late learning of the move, but was fortunate that when I took my old 1B preamp for a refurb to Neal Drive there was a man there to answer the door, who took it as i filled out the RA paper in the old lobby. Least I didn’t have to ship.
Mike P. Was/is always pleasant to deal with though extremely busy on the service side. Had my vintage-1981 1B and 4B there a couple times each for recapping etc. I will miss that convenient aspect, but Axiom isn’t that far to go, up in cottage country.
Jon Archibald.
PS I recall a couple or more years back Mr Tanner was coming in from the parking lot same time as I, while lugging  in my 4B,  and he courteously got the door for me :).

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #15 on: 26 Jan 2024, 11:54 pm »
I remember dropping into the Bryston factory in '21 to inquire about boxes for my amplifiers for our up and coming move and yes, I transported my own system and not the movers 8)

The lady in the office was very pleasant and in no time at all, the arrangements were taken care of and a few days or so later, the amp boxes arrived at my house. Why did I need replacement boxes you might ask - I tossed the original boxes thinking I would not move again and that they took up too much space  :duh:

I also considered if they ever required service, Peterborough was under a couple hours drive away.

By the way - I still kept the boxes  :P

Be well...