Introducing Hollis Audio Labs

HAL

Re: Introducing Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #40 on: 14 Apr 2016, 01:36 pm »
First CLIO Pocket measurement of the FPS array without the servo subs. With some simple shelving filters should be able to flatten out the HF response of the array.

Pocket CLIO also has a frequency response up to 45KHz with the 96KHz sample rate to see what is happening above 20KHz.

jparkhur

« Reply #41 on: 14 Apr 2016, 01:48 pm »
What physiological effect do freq above that of human (individual hearing) have on the perceived sum of the sounds?

Is their a gain in having drivers go to 25k, 35k etc.
?

HAL

« Reply #42 on: 14 Apr 2016, 01:55 pm »
Since it is beamforming in the vertical plane, this directs the main lobe of the beam at the listener's ear height, while putting nulls toward the ceiling and floor.  Should help with room interaction even more than just a line array.

The HF response is where the human ear supposedly gets time information, like from a snapping twig to get directionality.  They are different hair cells on the inner ear than the ones responsible for frequency response.  At least that is the research I have found.

Just nice to see that the HF response of the array is not falling off about 10KHz. 

HAL

« Reply #43 on: 15 Apr 2016, 01:13 pm »
Figured out the MIC-02 cable was not working correctly, so switched over to a new mic cable and my CLIO Standard 8.5 system for measurements.  Now it's better!

Here is a comparison of the FPS line array with the beamformer.  The red plot is the beamformer off and the green plot is with the beamformer on.  About 5dB of gain at the low end with the beamformer running.  I did not select FPS drivers for sensitivity matching, so that might make it a little better.

Next step is to try some absorption material on the baffle to see if the surface reflections can be tamed.  Felt or foam has worked well in the past, so will try some and see what happens.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #44 on: 15 Apr 2016, 01:14 pm »
Exciting.

HAL

« Reply #45 on: 15 Apr 2016, 06:19 pm »
Hugh,
Thanks!

Left speaker has the FPS planar drivers installed and the speaker cables are ready for connection to the drives and amp modules.

HAL

« Reply #46 on: 15 Apr 2016, 11:22 pm »
All the cables are connected to the FPS planars.

Started by connecting one amp to one FPS driver for a measurement.   No beamforming can occur in this case.  The response at the low end is just starting to drop off and the comb filtering is lower.  This time I used the CLIO Standard system with the MIC-01 calibrated mic.  Turns out Pocket CLIO has a calibrated MIC-02, but they do not correct for it in the software like the Standard version.  At least you can set the mic sensitivity for correct SPL measurements at most frequencies.

HAL

« Reply #47 on: 16 Apr 2016, 12:36 am »
Last picture for a week.

The full planar line array and servo sub array picture.  Just a bit of wiring left before music.

jseipp

« Reply #48 on: 16 Apr 2016, 02:54 am »
I've gotta say that I am excited to hear all about what you hear.  I know it's a process, but your babies are ready for their first steps. :)

HAL

« Reply #49 on: 20 Apr 2016, 12:50 pm »
Just spotted that we have moved to the Designers Corner!   :D

PE has new stock of the correct FPS planar coming hopefully next week.  Have the last set of them on order, and will see when they arrive.

Will get them wired after 23 April and give them a try.

HAL

« Reply #50 on: 24 Apr 2016, 08:34 pm »
First test of 8 amp channels and 8 FPS drivers with the beamforming output for the two channels worked.

Now to get the last 4 amps and FPS drivers working and see what happens.

https://youtu.be/gVYR0-6X_uE

HAL

« Reply #51 on: 25 Apr 2016, 03:54 am »
All 12 channels of amps and FPS planars are running and making music.

The Pulsing Quasar's are alive.

HAL

« Reply #52 on: 26 Apr 2016, 01:51 am »
After figuring out the CLIO window problem I was having, removed the EQ.

Now it is like a really good full range driver with real bass response. :)

jseipp

« Reply #53 on: 26 Apr 2016, 01:57 am »
I thought my basement was spagettified at the moment -- you have me beat!  :o

I'll be very interested to hear the details about the sound you've achieved.  You have really built things from the ground up; I can only admire from a distance all that you have built and learned in the process.  Thanks for sharing along the way....

HAL

« Reply #54 on: 26 Apr 2016, 02:01 am »
jseipp,
 Yes, with 150' of 14awg speaker cable on the floor and another 100' to go, it is a spaghetti farm!  Need to make wire bundles.

This is definitely a fun thing for me.   :D

Folsom

« Reply #55 on: 26 Apr 2016, 02:52 am »
I hope you're twisting the pairs...

HAL

« Reply #56 on: 26 Apr 2016, 09:56 am »
The 1309A speaker cables come that way from Belden.  The input wiring is all balanced.  No noise or hum in the setup. 

HAL

« Reply #57 on: 27 Apr 2016, 09:57 pm »
Warming up the Pocket CLIO system and MIC-02 for more measurements of the Pulsing Quasar line array's.

Now that I know how to set the time gate properly, lets see what happens. The original measurements had the test signal imbeded in the response that was not being removed correctly.

HAL

« Reply #58 on: 6 May 2016, 12:54 pm »
Since the Raspberry Pi3 is here, will be testing it with the latest Moode Audio OS. 

One thing that might be interesting is trying the iFi iPower 5v@2.5 Amp low noise power supply to run the RPi3 and see what happens instead of the stock SMPS that is here.  The iFi iUSB sounds very good running the Meridian Audio Explorer2 USB DAC.