BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #400 on: 7 Jun 2011, 02:32 pm »
Hi Folks,

I have been asked a number of times why we choose the particular components we did in the BDP-1 Bryston Digital Player and the motivation for the development of the BDP-1.

The BDP-1 was born out of my frustration with trying to assemble a quality digital playback system that would do all the way to 192/24 without glitches (dropouts etc.). I spent a year playing with different operating systems like Windows and MAC and different sound cards and finally decided on Linux because it can be dedicated to do 'one thing'- PLAY A MUSIC FILE - no housekeeping, no virus issues etc.

I played with a number of soundcards and many had issues integrating with the specific operating systems the operating systems had to have many areas 'deactivated' (ex - 'do not map through this device' in Windows) in order to get 'bit perfect' output.  Some would play 96/24 and 192/24 but not 176/24 etc. Anyway long story short I wanted a plug and play system which performed at a state of the art level and you did not have to be a computer guru to figure out how to setup your computer operating system and choose an appropriate sound card that did not have issues with high resolution (192/24) playback. 

So it is not easy to assemble a computer system which will have an incredibly low noise floor with low distortion and high resolution file playback that the BDP-1 has to offer.  Certainly a knowledgeable computer guy can assemble a great sounding setup but it is not a simple task.

The raw components in the BDP-1 were selected for their performance and reliability. Designing computer components from scratch is challenging with the short life cycle of consumer computer components.

The Sound Card in the BDP-1 player is a ‘Julia@’ sound card and it is excellent in native configuration  - one of the best out there.  To improve its performance we modified it with a much better output stage (both the transformer and driving stage are removed) so it is NOT a stock unit. We also install a dedicated balanced low noise, low distortion AES EBU and BNC output section to integrate properly (impedance matching) with our BDA-1 DAC.

The specific Computer Mother board was chosen because it is used in industrial areas and changes very little over time so you have a consistent supply of parts and predictability of performance.  But the really important part is it has NO MOVING PARTS - no fans or switching power supplies etc. that can generate noise. The motherboard has been used for metro area wireless systems for a number of years and has a very good reliability record. It also meets the essential requirements of low power and fan-less operation, both essential to the low noise, both acoustical and electrical, requirements for good audio.

The BDP-1 provides as faithful a bitstream as we know how to provide with current technology. Very few PC’s come close to this goal and then only with a lot of special optimizations that cripple their utility as a pc. Many PC’s have a lot of audio processing running in the background as well as a lot of EMI and RFI that can influence the performance of connected equipment. Sometimes the effects of the noise and jitter can be pleasing but they are not necessarily accurate.

James Tanner
V/P Bryston

mikemalter

• Have a nice cup of coffee
    • The Computer Mutt Blog a repository of divergent computer knowledge
« Reply #401 on: 25 Jun 2011, 03:29 pm »
Hi VK

The BDP will play NTSF it is just that you can not write to it or copy files to it over the network like you can with FAT32.

James

James I am thinking about getting the BDP-1 and one of the questions I have is about getting music to the HDD plugged into the back.  Are you saying that if I have the BDP-1 on my network and the external HDD that is attached to it is formated FAT32, I should be able to see it from other computers on my network so I can write additional music files to it without having to unplug it and plug it in somewhere else?

mikemalter

• Have a nice cup of coffee
    • The Computer Mutt Blog a repository of divergent computer knowledge
« Reply #402 on: 25 Jun 2011, 03:32 pm »
Hi Terry,

I am not feeling as pressured now about it due to the new BDP-1 software allowing for attached file memory.

james

James, is attached file memory another way of saying a hard drive, or is it something different?

Thank you.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #403 on: 26 Jun 2011, 08:10 pm »
James I am thinking about getting the BDP-1 and one of the questions I have is about getting music to the HDD plugged into the back.  Are you saying that if I have the BDP-1 on my network and the external HDD that is attached to it is formated FAT32, I should be able to see it from other computers on my network so I can write additional music files to it without having to unplug it and plug it in somewhere else?

Hi mikemalter,

Correct - you can just drag and drop from any computer on the network to an attached drive.  You can even transfer from  one attached drive to another over the network.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #404 on: 26 Jun 2011, 08:11 pm »
James, is attached file memory another way of saying a hard drive, or is it something different?

Thank you.

When you shut down the BDP-1 it will REMEMBER the attached drive libraries so it does not have to reload them on startup.

james

NeilR

« Reply #405 on: 8 Jul 2011, 01:42 am »
Jim, would you be able to explain exactly how do I do this in a Mac with Time Capsule? I tried typing the BDPs' MAC address into AirPort  Utility's Access Control, naming it BDP-1. Then in MoPAD I set up a connection named BDP-1 with Server named BDP-1. Couldn't connect to the MPD server. It also won't connect via the bryston.local setting. I am able to connect from my iMac using Max. I'm just guessing at what buttons to push here and have not found step by step instructions.
Thanks very much,

2) Have the Airport Extreme (or any router) assign the IP address using the MAC address of the BDP.   No downside here, and is the method I use for a few network appliances.

BTW, the BDP and Airport extreme works flawlessly for me, just need to be patient on first boot.   i.e. I turn everything on, grab a beer, then fire up the client to control it. 

Jim
[/quote]

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #406 on: 8 Jul 2011, 02:25 am »
Jim, would you be able to explain exactly how do I do this in a Mac with Time Capsule? I tried typing the BDPs' MAC address into AirPort  Utility's Access Control, naming it BDP-1. Then in MoPAD I set up a connection named BDP-1 with Server named BDP-1. Couldn't connect to the MPD server. It also won't connect via the bryston.local setting. I am able to connect from my iMac using Max. I'm just guessing at what buttons to push here and have not found step by step instructions.
Thanks very much,

2) Have the Airport Extreme (or any router) assign the IP address using the MAC address of the BDP.   No downside here, and is the method I use for a few network appliances.

BTW, the BDP and Airport extreme works flawlessly for me, just need to be patient on first boot.   i.e. I turn everything on, grab a beer, then fire up the client to control it. 

Jim

Hi Jim

I will forward to our software engineer.

James

NeilR

« Reply #407 on: 8 Jul 2011, 10:43 am »
Hi Jim

I will forward to our software engineer.

James

Thanks. I should have properly signed the post (it was my first one). I was quoting Jim's, but my name is Neil. Again, appreciate any assistance as the new BDP sounds great but I am frustrated getting a reliable remote MoPad connection. I  was able to connect after reboot of BDP but as soon as I selected a song to play the connection dropped until next reboot.

Neil

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #408 on: 8 Jul 2011, 10:55 am »
Thanks. I should have properly signed the post (it was my first one). I was quoting Jim's, but my name is Neil. Again, appreciate any assistance as the new BDP sounds great but I am frustrated getting a reliable remote MoPad connection. I  was able to connect after reboot of BDP but as soon as I selected a song to play the connection dropped until next reboot.

Neil

Hi Neil,

It has to be a network issue I assume - Have you tried any other interface like a desktop or laptop with Chrome or Safari browser?  Also instead of the bryston-bdp-1.local try the IP address of the BDP-1.  It is available using the down button on the 5 button navigation array on the front panel of the BDP-1 when the display says Bryston BDP-1

james

NeilR

« Reply #409 on: 8 Jul 2011, 11:39 pm »
Hi Neil,

It has to be a network issue I assume - Have you tried any other interface like a desktop or laptop with Chrome or Safari browser?  Also instead of the bryston-bdp-1.local try the IP address of the BDP-1.  It is available using the down button on the 5 button navigation array on the front panel of the BDP-1 when the display says Bryston BDP-1

james

I'm sure it is (was) a network issue too. In fact, all is now working with the original recommended settings. This is the fun I was looking for! Don't know how or why it was fixed...but I'll just be glad it works now. Hopefully the network stays solid. 

Well, I just this instant got one of those static bursts between songs of different albums. I'll look for posts on that to see if there is news. Both songs are the same format, Apple lossless.

Cheers,
Neil

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #410 on: 8 Jul 2011, 11:54 pm »
I'm sure it is (was) a network issue too. In fact, all is now working with the original recommended settings. This is the fun I was looking for! Don't know how or why it was fixed...but I'll just be glad it works now. Hopefully the network stays solid. 

Well, I just this instant got one of those static bursts between songs of different albums. I'll look for posts on that to see if there is news. Both songs are the same format, Apple lossless.

Cheers,
Neil

I have some apple lossless and do not have an issue but if you can... convert the files to FLAC.

james

skunark

« Reply #411 on: 9 Jul 2011, 05:07 am »
I have some apple lossless and do not have an issue but if you can... convert the files to FLAC.

james
James,

I assume folks that use iTunes would prefer that ALAC works, but probably the better advice would be to convert to AIFF over FLAC so they can at least use it in iTunes.   Asking them to keep two song libraries will make the BDP sound less usable than it really is.     Also, FLAC still isn't supported by Microsoft or Apple, of course you can install other players and rippers to get around this limation, but it pretty much kills any portable device.

skunark

« Reply #412 on: 9 Jul 2011, 05:16 am »

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,

It just takes a few minutes for Bonjour to work.  If you still have issues, I can post the screen shots on how to add it.   But really just go to the Internet tab within the Airport Utility and add a DHCP Reservations by clicking the plus to 'reserve by MAC Address'. The difficult part will be to find the MAC address, sadly the bryston-bdp-1.local webpage doesn't list it, nor do i remember if it's listed on the back, but you can review the airport extreme/time capsule logs and get the MAC address via the DHCP client list. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #413 on: 9 Jul 2011, 09:24 am »
Neil,

It just takes a few minutes for Bonjour to work.  If you still have issues, I can post the screen shots on how to add it.   But really just go to the Internet tab within the Airport Utility and add a DHCP Reservations by clicking the plus to 'reserve by MAC Address'. The difficult part will be to find the MAC address, sadly the bryston-bdp-1.local webpage doesn't list it, nor do i remember if it's listed on the back, but you can review the airport extreme/time capsule logs and get the MAC address via the DHCP client list.

The MAC address is available on the front panel of the BDP by pressing the left navigation button on the front panel navigation buttons when the display says Bryston BDP-1

James

Vipers

« Reply #414 on: 15 Aug 2011, 04:20 pm »
James,

A quick question if you don't mind, I'm sure it's been asked before and I should probably know the answer.

Is it possible to connect the BDP-1 to a network wirelessly?

As it is only so you can control the BDP-1 by an Ipad, etc, then hard wiring is not as crucial as if you were streaming, is there a wireless dongle of any kind that would work?

Thanks,

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #415 on: 15 Aug 2011, 04:35 pm »
James,

A quick question if you don't mind, I'm sure it's been asked before and I should probably know the answer.

As it is only so you can control the BDP-1 by an Ipad, etc, then hard wiring is not as crucial as if you were streaming, is there a wireless dongle of any kind that would work?

Thanks,

Correct - the wireless network is only for control.  You want a hardwired connection for best performance - please avoid all wireless music transfer connections.

james
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2011, 06:29 pm by James Tanner »

Rupret

« Reply #416 on: 15 Aug 2011, 05:00 pm »
James,

Thanks,

I use the Netgear WNCE2001 connected to the BDP-1.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wireless-adapters/high-performance/WNCE2001.aspx

jjc1

« Reply #417 on: 15 Aug 2011, 06:05 pm »
James,

Thanks,

I use the Netgear Powerline Adapter Kit. It connects the BDP1 wirelessly and I have no trouble with internet radio streaming. It also helps with album art and artist and album info. Try it. If you don't like it, return it.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #418 on: 16 Aug 2011, 11:03 am »
Sent: August-16-11 5:33 AM
To: Bryston - James Tanner
Subject: Bryston BDP-1, BDA-1

Hi James,

I see you facilitate the Bryston forum on AudioCircles – apologies for not posting there but I presume you can’t post without registering (I have no objection if you wish to post this there for the benefit of others).

I live in Hong Kong and have had Bryston kit (BP-26 pre, SST2-4B power amp and BDA-1 DAC) since Jan 2010 - I am very happy with it. I had a Musical Fidelity A5 CD player but opted for convenience and ripped all my CDs to a NAS. I found wireless gave me dropouts, so the NAS is now wired to my router, as is a Sonos ZP80 connected to my DAC. I am interested in the BDP1 for its quality, but until recently Bryston had no Internet radio which was a deal-breaker for me (I don’t have the room to keep a Sonos or Squeezebox as well, just for radio).

Unfortunately the info on Bryston’s web site and forum seems contradictory and most is only available *after* you own a BDP1. Could you answer a few simple questions to help me decide, please?

1) Will the BDP1 work with a NAS?
2) I have ripped my CDs in Apple Lossless format - do I have to convert them to FLAC to use the BDP1?
3) Does an external USB HDD need to be formatted in FAT32 to work with the BDP1? (you say the latest f.w. can read/write NTFS, but elsewhere you said FAT32 is required for something).
4) I plan to use my iPod (Touch, 3rd Generation) & iPad (original) as remotes – what’s the best software? A desktop solution would be useful occasionally (I have a PC with IE9 and I can’t get along with Chrome or Firefox – should I use Gnome?).
5) You say the latest f.w. includes 16 Internet radio stations (probably enough – I mostly listen to Radio Paradise lately) but on one of your posts you mentioned a guy had found a way to listen to any station – ring any bells?

Sorry if it’s a long list.

Regards and thanks in advance,
Paul

Hi Paul,

1. Currently No – we have tried the NAS route and prefer a hard connection with attached USB drives.  The BDP-1 is a NAS so you can copy files to the attached drives over your network if you wish. We are looking at providing a USB docking bay that would take plug in SATA drives and cosmetically match the BDP-1 going forward.

2. No problem  the BDP-1 will play Apple Lossless but we recommend FLAC because it is an open system and no one owns the rights to it. It also works great with Album art etc.

3. The BDP-1 can read FAT32 or NTSF it was just it could not write to NTSF until recently – new software

4. Yes download MPOD and MPAD from the Apple APP store – MPOD is free and works on iTouch and iPad and MPAD is $2.98 and is a superb program. There are also 2 Bryston interfaces built into the BDP-1 software called MINI and MAX that you can use on any computer that sees a web browser. GNOME is great and does not need a browser to work – it connects directly to the BDP-1 over the network.

5. Yes we have selected a variety of high quality radio stations that are preloaded – Radio Paradise is one.  Yes in GNOME you can save a station using the URL to a playlist. We are also looking at expanding that feature going forward so you can connect to Shoutcast.

Hope this helps Paul.

james

SHV

« Reply #419 on: 16 Aug 2011, 05:15 pm »
Any suggestions for OS X users for ripping to Flac format?  Any experience with Music Lab 10?  Also is there a site for downloading Gnome for OS X that is self install?

Steve