BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

skunark

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #380 on: 18 May 2011, 10:55 pm »
I guess I'm now just about going crazy trying to make my BDP-1 work on my network.  This morning, when I turned everything back on (computer, BDP-1) it took three or four cycles of on and off and changing ports on my Airport Extreme to get the computer to even recognize the BDP-1 device.  Once that happens, though, the MPod remote works.  Anyway, I started fooling around with the settings on the BDP-1 and set it back to the "factory" configuration.  Now, I can't get the computer to see it at all.  Somehow, though, the MPoD on my IPod touch still works.

Could this be a problem that could be solved by assigning a static address to the device in the computer?  Assuming, that is, I can ever get the computer to see the device again.

Oh well.  I'm not that hard to please, but it would be nice if this thing worked.

If you are expecting a client to use the Bonjour network service, where you just type bryston-bdp-1.local, you need to expect this to take several minutes for the discovery process to work.  This isn't a function of the BDP or even the Airport Extreme router, but a function of the Bonjour service and the MPD Client Software running on your computer or the handheld of your choice.   

Using a static IP address will avoid this delay by essentially short-circuiting the Bonjour protocol and the only difficult part is setting up a static IP address on your network.  You have two choices here
1) configure the BDP to use a static address with the downside that you have to plug in the DNS information when your ISP changes it. 
2) Have the Airport Extreme (or any router) assign the IP address using the MAC address of the BDP.   No downside here, and is the method I use for a few network appliances.

BTW, the BDP and Airport extreme works flawlessly for me, just need to be patient on first boot.   i.e. I turn everything on, grab a beer, then fire up the client to control it. 

Jim

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #381 on: 18 May 2011, 11:16 pm »
If you are expecting a client to use the Bonjour network service, where you just type bryston-bdp-1.local, you need to expect this to take several minutes for the discovery process to work.  This isn't a function of the BDP or even the Airport Extreme router, but a function of the Bonjour service and the MPD Client Software running on your computer or the handheld of your choice.   

Using a static IP address will avoid this delay by essentially short-circuiting the Bonjour protocol and the only difficult part is setting up a static IP address on your network.  You have two choices here
1) configure the BDP to use a static address with the downside that you have to plug in the DNS information when your ISP changes it. 
2) Have the Airport Extreme (or any router) assign the IP address using the MAC address of the BDP.   No downside here, and is the method I use for a few network appliances.

BTW, the BDP and Airport extreme works flawlessly for me, just need to be patient on first boot.   i.e. I turn everything on, grab a beer, then fire up the client to control it. 

Jim

Thanks Jim - very helpful. :thumb:

James

jas007

« Reply #382 on: 18 May 2011, 11:46 pm »

Jim

Thanks a lot.  Maybe I'm just being a bit impatient.  I'll take your advice tomorrow and give the system time to recognize the BDP-1.  If that's all it takes, that would be great.  It's not as though I'm in any hurry.  Anyway, once I get this problem solved, I'll buy a IPad to control everything.  My next project.

jas007

« Reply #383 on: 19 May 2011, 12:29 pm »
Thanks again everyone.  This morning I turned on my system and my computer.  The BDP-1 initialized and after that it took the computer about 10 minutes to find the BDP-1.  After that, all was well.  I'm listening to it now, and as I've said before, it sounds great with the Bryston DAC, especially playing some of the HDTracks music.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #384 on: 24 May 2011, 11:25 am »
...my BDP has 2 hdd connected at its back (lower input 1tb, upper input 500gb and both are 2,5"). the player can't play the files stored on the 500gb hdd even though it is detected and displayed by Minion.

anyone any idea?

thanx,

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #385 on: 24 May 2011, 11:34 am »
...my BDP has 2 hdd connected at its back (lower input 1tb, upper input 500gb and both are 2,5"). the player can't play the files stored on the 500gb hdd even though it is detected and displayed by Minion.

anyone any idea?

thanx,

al.

Hi Al,

What happens if you just have the 1TB drive attached (no 500).  Is the 1TB drive formatted NTSF?

I usually recommend self powered drives (especially the older ones) once you get above 750GB as the USB spec allows for 500ma of current and some TB and larger drives try to draw too much current.

james
« Last Edit: 24 May 2011, 03:51 pm by James Tanner »

alexone

« Reply #386 on: 24 May 2011, 05:08 pm »
James,

if only the 1tb hdd is connected everything works perfectly (attached again on the lower usb input).

both the 1tb and the 500gb are NTSF.

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #387 on: 24 May 2011, 05:12 pm »
James,

if only the 1tb hdd is connected everything works perfectly (attached again on the lower usb input).

both the 1tb and the 500gb are NTSF.

al.

Hi Al,

It sounds like the combined drives are asking for more current - my guess is that if you disconnect the 1TB the 500 will work. Some drives require more power than others.

Are they new drives or older USB drives? The newer 2.5 inch USB drives take much less power than the older versions.

james

alexone

« Reply #388 on: 24 May 2011, 05:32 pm »
...both are new. WD 2.5". even if the 500gb is attached alone it does not work with Minion. Minion shows it on the screen but I don't have access to the files.

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #389 on: 24 May 2011, 05:54 pm »
...both are new. WD 2.5". even if the 500gb is attached alone it does not work with Minion. Minion shows it on the screen but I don't have access to the files.

al.

Hi Al,

Gee you got me - maybe the drive is defective in some way?  Have you got other drives you can try besides the 1TB drive of course. Can you send me the model number of the 500G.

james

alexone

« Reply #390 on: 24 May 2011, 06:00 pm »
...done!

al.

alexone

« Reply #391 on: 24 May 2011, 06:05 pm »
James,

i don't think the 500gb drive is defective as it works with my computer without issues. weird, isn't it?!?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #392 on: 25 May 2011, 10:22 am »
Hi al

Try reformatting the drive Fat32 and see if that solves it. Make sure you save the content on your computer.

James

alexone

« Reply #393 on: 25 May 2011, 12:17 pm »
Hi al

Try reformatting the drive Fat32 and see if that solves it. Make sure you save the content on your computer.

James

ok, thanks. will give it a try...

al.

alexone

« Reply #394 on: 26 May 2011, 10:20 am »
James,

the 500gb works with BrystonMax !!! the problem seems to be Minion????? :scratch:
the drive is still NTFS.

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #395 on: 26 May 2011, 10:21 am »
James,

the 500gb works with BrystonMax !!! the problem seems to be Minion????? :scratch:
the drive is still NTFS.

al.

That is a first Al  - not sure where to go on that. :scratch:  If you are using a PC try GNOME.

james

alexone

« Reply #396 on: 26 May 2011, 03:55 pm »
James,

the drive is still NTFS.

al.

HA! another first one: i started BrystonMax first and the complete content of the 500gb appeared (the drive is connected to the upper usb input at the BDP's back). cool. no issues! after that i started Minion....and the whole content of the 500gb drive appeared again as a playlist. i tried to play a few songs - everything ok! then i hooked up the 1tb hdd into the lower usb input at the back of the BDP. the files got loaded - and NOW i have a complete playlist of both the 500gb and the 1tb hdd.
it works troublefree :D

hmmm....Gremlins?!? :scratch:

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #397 on: 26 May 2011, 04:40 pm »
HA! another first one: i started BrystonMax first and the complete content of the 500gb appeared (the drive is connected to the upper usb input at the BDP's back). cool. no issues! after that i started Minion....and the whole content of the 500gb drive appeared again as a playlist. i tried to play a few songs - everything ok! then i hooked up the 1tb hdd into the lower usb input at the back of the BDP. the files got loaded - and NOW i have a complete playlist of both the 500gb and the 1tb hdd.
it works troublefree :D

hmmm....Gremlins?!? :scratch:

al.

Sounds like "Product OK" --- "Customer Defective"  :lol: :lol:

alexone

« Reply #398 on: 26 May 2011, 05:00 pm »

Sounds like "Product OK" --- "Customer Defective"  :lol: :lol:

well, i don't have a problem if it's me... :oops:

but i will try it again later:

1) turn off the BDP
2) unplug both hdd
3) plug in the 500 gb again (upper input)
4) see what happens...

all in all it could be a problem of the drive, of NTFS, of FAT32 or W-H-A-T-E-V-E-R...or me?!? i don't know.

al.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2011, 05:11 pm by alexone »

alexone

« Reply #399 on: 27 May 2011, 04:36 am »
i turned off the BDP, unplugged both drives and plugged the 500gb in again with the same result. need to start BrystonMax first before Minion and/or Gnome can play music from this drive.

al :roll:.