BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

Hoiman

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1200 on: 8 Mar 2017, 06:36 am »
Well I waited the whole night but the BDP-1 doesn't come back anymore (well it starts). After I go to Mediaplayer and want to select the HDD the machine stops working. Is it possible that the HDD is to large? I asked this because I have this problems after changing everything on the HDD (I put the music in different directories) and put the data over the 1TB, before it was around the 900GB.

Marius

« Reply #1201 on: 8 Mar 2017, 06:42 am »
Hi
Your hdd is not too big , the bdp1 can handle them at least up to 4 tb... got several of them working fine here.

Did you reset the DB? Manic Moose requires a specific order of commands. Changing a complete DB would be done best deleting the former dB first.

Cheers Marius

Hoiman

« Reply #1202 on: 8 Mar 2017, 07:07 am »
Did you reset the DB? Manic Moose requires a specific order of commands. Changing a complete DB would be done best deleting the former dB first.

Not sure if I did this. What commands do I have to give and where do I have to do this?

What I did:
- press update waiting till the color returns to white, this never happend it stays blue after 8 hours. When I tried to do something in Manic Moose it hangs, I had to restart the BDP-1.
- I also have done a reboot.

Marius

« Reply #1203 on: 8 Mar 2017, 07:14 am »
Not sure if I did this. What commands do I have to give and where do I have to do this?

What I did:
- press update waiting till the color returns to white, this never happend it stays blue after 8 hours. When I tried to do something in Manic Moose it hangs, I had to restart the BDP-1.
- I also have done a reboot.

You have to reset the DB, click save and reboot. Not at my BDP now, but find the button somewhere in the Mediaplayer settings.

Hoiman

« Reply #1204 on: 8 Mar 2017, 07:35 am »
There is one option but I didn't use this because I don't know what is all does (and because the machine isn't mine) and that function is:
Reset To Factory: Resets all settings to factory default and clears the library

Marius

« Reply #1205 on: 8 Mar 2017, 08:23 am »
There is one option but I didn't use this because I don't know what is all does (and because the machine isn't mine) and that function is:

admittedly it is not very well documented, and i can't find the manual on Brystons website right now, only the Pi... In my dl'd manual resetting the DB isn't mentioned.

But here goes:

clicking the gear icon of media Player settings:

gives an option to click Reset DB and Save.

Do that, (click Reset DB) restart ((I think the BDP does that automatically, if not click reboot in System), and let the BDP update its library.

Might take awhile, (large library, small memory BDP1) but still, only 1 tb shouldn't take all day ;)

Cheers,
Marius

btw that same window offers the option of enabling the Bryston DB. Don't do that! It is not compatible with the BDP1 and large libraries.

Hoiman

« Reply #1206 on: 8 Mar 2017, 08:51 am »
Thanks I will do this when I'm at home. I let you know if this was the solution.

Hoiman

« Reply #1207 on: 8 Mar 2017, 03:28 pm »
No this didn't help. What I saw was also very strange, because after I reset the DB and saved it and started up again and updated, it stills say that my thumb drive is in it. But the only drive that is connected is my HDD.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1208 on: 8 Mar 2017, 03:42 pm »
No this didn't help. What I saw was also very strange, because after I reset the DB and saved it and started up again and updated, it stills say that my thumb drive is in it. But the only drive that is connected is my HDD.

Try starting it up with NO drives attached - when it is finished starting then attach the drive.

james

Hoiman

« Reply #1209 on: 8 Mar 2017, 04:17 pm »
Ok I just did it, it's now updating. I can play but after 5 minutes the player starts to stotter and stops playing.

This is how the menu looks like, it's in a weird alphabetic order:

Hoiman

« Reply #1210 on: 8 Mar 2017, 04:30 pm »
Or this happens loading.... and then the player doesn't do anything anymore:

Hoiman

« Reply #1211 on: 8 Mar 2017, 04:46 pm »
Ok, I still trying everything and I just emptied the cache and the BDP-1 started up out of it self. Now after playing 3 songs it's hanging again.

Hoiman

« Reply #1212 on: 8 Mar 2017, 05:41 pm »
I plugged out the HDD and plugged in my 128GB thumb drive and it works alright. It looks like that when updating the HDD something went wrong and kills everything. The strange thing is that I can't see anything back in the log files.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1213 on: 8 Mar 2017, 05:44 pm »
Ok I think either there is a corrupt file on the drive or the drive requires too much power from the BDP USB port.

if you have a drive with an external power supply you should try that.

james

Hoiman

« Reply #1214 on: 8 Mar 2017, 05:50 pm »
if you have a drive with an external power supply you should try that.

It's a HDD with an own power supply.

Ok I think either there is a corrupt file on the drive or the drive requires too much power from the BDP USB port.
When I do a control check in Windows on the HDD nothing is wrong.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1215 on: 8 Mar 2017, 06:10 pm »
Might be something wrong with the motherboard.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1216 on: 8 Mar 2017, 07:01 pm »
It's a HDD with an own power supply.
When I do a control check in Windows on the HDD nothing is wrong.

You should place the BDP into service mode and email us the server id, this type of issue it would also be best to call us so we can look at the unit remotely while its reading in the contents of the drive as well.

Cheers,
Chris

Hoiman

« Reply #1217 on: 8 Mar 2017, 07:39 pm »
You should place the BDP into service mode and email us the server id, this type of issue it would also be best to call us so we can look at the unit remotely while its reading in the contents of the drive as well.

That is maybe possible but 1 it's a loaner and 2 I don't live in Canada but in The Netherlands and we have a slight time difference.

Marius

« Reply #1218 on: 9 Mar 2017, 10:38 am »
Not sure, but it sounds you don't let the BDP finish updating before you start playing and using the MM interface. When updating the recordings DB  the BDP has too little memory left to be able to do anything else really, let alone play without stuttering or distortion. Let it finish completely, and then see what happens. A minor nuisance it is, but after that you will be able to play anything very smoothly.

Alphabetical issues are also known. Let the BDP/MM do their work first.
Cheers,
Marius

Ok I just did it, it's now updating. I can play but after 5 minutes the player starts to stotter and stops playing.

This is how the menu looks like, it's in a weird alphabetic order:

Hoiman

« Reply #1219 on: 9 Mar 2017, 10:52 am »
Not sure, but it sounds you don't let the BDP finish updating before you start playing and using the MM interface.

I tried this the other night but in the morning it was still updating (so after 8 hours it was still not finished).

But I will do the following this evening:
- 1) Empty the cache
- 2) I do a reset DB without any USB HDD connected to it.
- 3) Save and restart, still without any USB HDD connected to the BDP-1.
- 4) Connect the self powered HDD, go to sleep and see what happend the next morning.

I let you know tommorow.
Already thanks.