BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1100 on: 2 Dec 2015, 02:45 am »
Okay, how does that translate to what I'm hearing?
Listening to Allman Bros. Fillmore East 1970, In Memory of Elisabeth Reed, Strasborough Blues and Whipping Post as test tracks. At 8 on my volume dial I'm perceiving the music much louder. I think I would have to turn it up to 4 on dial with SPDIF to be near equivalent. The guitars also sound meaner, more raw.

So with increased clarity of AES cable I'm perceiving the music louder, twice the voltage swing allows greater dynamic range?

Hi Mag

The receiving devices just seem to like the extra voltage and of course the signal path is balanced. 

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #1101 on: 12 Dec 2015, 08:24 pm »
Hello!

I have a question regarding BDP-2. I will be moving and so will my system. But it will have to be stored in it's box for a couple of nonths till everything is taken care of. Is this a good idea? Is there something inside the BDP-2 that could fail if it's not plugged into the mains for several months? A back-up battery or something?

Thank you!
Antun

geordienp

« Reply #1102 on: 15 Dec 2015, 01:12 am »
Hi, having recently changed by broadband supplier and modem/router I am now unable to connect my BDP-1 to the home network. It is hard-wired with ethernet cable. The (static) ip address is still displayed on the front panel but no computer or tablet can access it.  I have tried rebooting both router and BDP but to no effect.  I was able to download flac files to a WD passport drive attached to the Bryston via the network only a couple of days ago but now the Bryston does not show as being on the network at all.  I cannot use it other than via the front panel buttons. Can the Bryston be reset?

Nigel

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1103 on: 15 Dec 2015, 01:11 pm »
Hi, having recently changed by broadband supplier and modem/router I am now unable to connect my BDP-1 to the home network. It is hard-wired with ethernet cable. The (static) ip address is still displayed on the front panel but no computer or tablet can access it.  I have tried rebooting both router and BDP but to no effect.  I was able to download flac files to a WD passport drive attached to the Bryston via the network only a couple of days ago but now the Bryston does not show as being on the network at all.  I cannot use it other than via the front panel buttons. Can the Bryston be reset?

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

have you tried resetting your network settings from the front panel controls? 

Push right
Down to settings
Push right
I think reset network settings is the second option

Once this is done, check if the IP address has changed.

Cheers
Chris

geordienp

« Reply #1104 on: 16 Dec 2015, 12:45 am »
Hi Nigel,

have you tried resetting your network settings from the front panel controls? 

Push right
Down to settings
Push right
I think reset network settings is the second option

Once this is done, check if the IP address has changed.

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris, just what I needed to know.  Why is this not covered in the manual??  For others' benefit - you have to push right and down buttons simultaneously.  Problem sorted.
Nigel

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1105 on: 16 Dec 2015, 01:06 am »
It is, the last page of the manic moose manual

geordienp

« Reply #1106 on: 16 Dec 2015, 01:27 am »
It is, the last page of the manic moose manual

Something else I knew nothing about - I have some catching up to do, thanks!
Nigel

BSMSPEMBA

« Reply #1107 on: 25 Dec 2015, 10:38 pm »
Hi Chris,

I have some feedback on the Tidal beta on the BDP-2 S2.20 2015-11-20.

I tried it for the first time today.  For the longest time, there was no sound.  I finally went into the Tidal Settings to try and debug the issue.  That is where I saw that I have to manually select the Playback Device.  I have the BDP-2 connected to my DAC via AES and USB.  For playback via MPD or bRadio, they both output simultaneously, and I can select either input on the DAC, if I want to do A-B comparisons.  However, in the Tidal beta, I have to pick one output and hit Apply.  In my case, it was defaulting to USB, but I was trying to play via AES. 

After this, I decided to check on the A-B via Shareplay.  It only worked via USB.  AES would not output at all, even though the DAC showed a signal lock.

If I may ask, I have 3 questions.  Why does the output need to be selected in the Tidal beta, when this is not the case with MPD and bRadio?  Can Tidal be setup to act the same as the rest of the BDP-2? Do you know why the USB output is working fine with Shareplay, but AES is silent?

After writing the above, I tried the AES again in Tidal Settings.  Even after pressing Apply, there was still no sound.  However it works fine via MPD.

Here are some other issues that I noticed.
* The media controls at the bottom of the screen do not work
* The BBP-2 did not respond to Stop, Pause, skip track, etc. from the physical, hand-held remote
* The Play triangle next to a track does not work
* The counter for the Queue showed (0) even though there was tracks that I added to the Queue
* I loaded a Tidal curated play list in the queue.  When I tried to play it, it just skipped straight down the list track by track without playing anything.
* Tried to clear the Queue with the stop square at the bottom, but it did not clear
* Using the Chrome browser on a Mac, when I try to scroll down the menu of options on the left side of the Tidal beta (i.e., What's New, Queue, Playlist, etc.), it does not scroll, even though I know there is content below the edge of the screen, because I can see the top of cutoff text
* If I hit the play triangle on a Playlist, it will add the tracks to the Queue, but will not start playing them,  like it does on tidal.com
* Would it be possible to match the left side menu in the Tidal beta to the same menu on tidal.com?

In general, I did manage to get Tidal to work, after a bit of fiddling and reboots.  However, it did not work as smoothly as accessing it from  tidal.com via Chrome.  I hope you find this feedback helpful.  I look forward to the next firmware/Tidal update.

Thank you

cprem

« Reply #1108 on: 26 Dec 2015, 03:58 pm »
Hi Chris,
Any plans of adding Spotify as an app on the BDP software? Would love to listen to Spotify via my BDP-1. Cheers.

Chetan

BSMSPEMBA

« Reply #1109 on: 26 Dec 2015, 05:59 pm »

Also, please add the triple vertical dots to select sub menus on tracks, albums, artists, etc.  I was looking for Artist Radio and Track Radio.  I may have missed it, but I do not see a way to play either without the triple dot menus.

Thank you

BSMSPEMBA

« Reply #1110 on: 26 Dec 2015, 06:05 pm »
Any plans of adding Spotify as an app on the BDP software? Would love to listen to Spotify via my BDP-1. Cheers.

It would be great to also have Pandora, Google Music, Amazon Music, and Apple music.  I am not sure which ones are technically and financially possible.  I know in the past you mentioned that some of the music services require a cost prohibitive licensing fee.

Thank you

BrystonFan

« Reply #1111 on: 26 Dec 2015, 06:13 pm »
Sorry if this is elsewhere...
I tried adding my first downloaded hi-res album to my SSD in the BDP2, I see it on my pc but the Bryston software does not display it. It lists all of my BOT1 ripped CDs. The meta data looks the same as the BOT ripped data - any suggestions?
Thanks!

BrystonFan

« Reply #1112 on: 26 Dec 2015, 11:10 pm »
I saw Chris' video - update NAS function did the trick!

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1113 on: 27 Dec 2015, 05:16 am »
Hi Chris,

Chetan

Hi Chetan,

Spotify or Deezer/Deezer Elite will be next I just don't have ETA.  We briefly started working on a Spotify add-on, we got as far as applying for an API key and compiling the demo code.  Then we were told we have tidal, so we should focus else where.  As of December there has been reconsideration from management.  Although Spotify has already been started, from what I have read (briefly) Deezer is suppose to work all lot like Tidal.  Although we have started Spotify, we may do Deezer first as we could potentially have it out the door "quickly".  Again there isn't any ETA, but we recognized that having streaming services is a nice convient feature.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1114 on: 27 Dec 2015, 05:18 am »
Also, please add the triple vertical dots to select sub menus on tracks, albums, artists, etc.  I was looking for Artist Radio and Track Radio.  I may have missed it, but I do not see a way to play either without the triple dot menus.

Thank you

I havn't added the radio features yet, I think those and the up and coming options are still missing

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1115 on: 27 Dec 2015, 05:30 am »
Hi Chris,

I tried it for the first time today.  For the longest time, there was no sound.  I finally went into the Tidal Settings to try and debug the issue.  That is where I saw that I have to manually select the Playback Device.  I have the BDP-2 connected to my DAC via AES and USB.  For playback via MPD or bRadio, they both output simultaneously, and I can select either input on the DAC, if I want to do A-B comparisons.  However, in the Tidal beta, I have to pick one output and hit Apply.  In my case, it was defaulting to USB, but I was trying to play via AES. 

After this, I decided to check on the A-B via Shareplay.  It only worked via USB.  AES would not output at all, even though the DAC showed a signal lock.

If I may ask, I have 3 questions.  Why does the output need to be selected in the Tidal beta, when this is not the case with MPD and bRadio?  Can Tidal be setup to act the same as the rest of the BDP-2? Do you know why the USB output is working fine with Shareplay, but AES is silent?

After writing the above, I tried the AES again in Tidal Settings.  Even after pressing Apply, there was still no sound.  However it works fine via MPD.

Here are some other issues that I noticed.
* The media controls at the bottom of the screen do not work
* The BBP-2 did not respond to Stop, Pause, skip track, etc. from the physical, hand-held remote
* The Play triangle next to a track does not work
* The counter for the Queue showed (0) even though there was tracks that I added to the Queue
* I loaded a Tidal curated play list in the queue.  When I tried to play it, it just skipped straight down the list track by track without playing anything.
* Tried to clear the Queue with the stop square at the bottom, but it did not clear
* Using the Chrome browser on a Mac, when I try to scroll down the menu of options on the left side of the Tidal beta (i.e., What's New, Queue, Playlist, etc.), it does not scroll, even though I know there is content below the edge of the screen, because I can see the top of cutoff text
* If I hit the play triangle on a Playlist, it will add the tracks to the Queue, but will not start playing them,  like it does on tidal.com
* Would it be possible to match the left side menu in the Tidal beta to the same menu on tidal.com?

In general, I did manage to get Tidal to work, after a bit of fiddling and reboots.  However, it did not work as smoothly as accessing it from  tidal.com via Chrome.  I hope you find this feedback helpful.  I look forward to the next firmware/Tidal update.

Thank you

There's all lot here, I'll take a second look at it when I get back from holiday

bRadio uses MPD for playback, you may notice the radio station appear in the mpd playlist when it plays.  MPD is kind of new features in that sense, it allows you to output to multiple device simulataneously.

In tidal if you want to switch between outputs, select the output you want, click apply, if a song is playing or paused, click stop.  Next song played should play through the selected output.  If it doesn't go back to settings and see if the change took place.

The buttons at the bottom should function, perhaps send me a screen shot, there might be a rendering issue I'm unaware of.

I havn't added any control of tidal from the physical or IR yet, that is to come eventually

Clearing the queue currently can only be done by way of the clear button, found under a menu that can be toggled by a button in the lower right corner.

Thanks for the feedback

Cheers

vonnie123

« Reply #1116 on: 27 Dec 2015, 08:00 am »
+1 for Deezer.  Great streaming service. 

BSMSPEMBA

« Reply #1117 on: 27 Dec 2015, 10:21 pm »
In tidal if you want to switch between outputs, select the output you want, click apply, if a song is playing or paused, click stop.  Next song played should play through the selected output.  If it doesn't go back to settings and see if the change took place.

The buttons at the bottom should function, perhaps send me a screen shot, there might be a rendering issue I'm unaware of.

Is is possible to use MPD for Tidal, so the output behaves in the same manner as bRadio and the core player?  it would be nice to not worry about selecting outputs in the Tidal app.

The buttons at the bottom seem to be rendering without any issues in Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.  However, the experience is faster (i.e., the interface renders faster) in Safari than it does in Firefox. 

Where I was thrown off was the extra steps needed to start playing music on the BDP app.  For example, if I want to play a curated Tidal playlist on tidal.com, I do the following
- Playlists
- Chose a category (e.g., Relax)
- Hover over a playlist (e.g., Tidal Relax)
- Press the play triangle and there is music - the tracks are added to the queue and they start playing at once

In the BDP app
- Moods
- Relax
- Click the play button, which turns blue, on the banner to add all lists and play, but nothing happens
- Click + on Tidal Relax -- it opens the playlist and adds the songs to the queue, but does not start playing
- Click the play button, which turns blue, on the Tidal Relax banner at the top, it adds the songs to the queue again, but does not play music
- Click the play button at the bottom for music

There are some other aspects in which the BDP Tidal app does not mirror the functionality or interface of tidal.com. 
* The Stop button at the bottom was added to the BDP interface, which I have grown to like
* It would be nice to have the icons on the left side of the main menu to match those on tidal.com
* It would be nice to have the sub-menus below My Music (e.g., Create New Playlist, Playlists, Artists, etc.).  I know they shown within My Music, but it nice to have them in both places.
* I cannot find a Create New Playlist button/menu
* The tidal.com curated Playlist is labeled as Moods in the BDP
* If possible, it would be nice to have tool tips pop up, when the cursor hovers over icons

The number of songs in the queue is not rendering correctly in Safari.

Thank you

RipTorn

« Reply #1118 on: 9 Aug 2016, 02:08 am »
Brystons Bot 1,.Is this a plug in and play device ? I have a Bryston BDP 2 and currently I'm just looking to playback some music until I decide on a new computer / iPad or what have you,.
Thank you ,..

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1119 on: 9 Aug 2016, 10:48 am »
Brystons Bot 1,.Is this a plug in and play device ? I have a Bryston BDP 2 and currently I'm just looking to playback some music until I decide on a new computer / iPad or what have you,.
Thank you ,..

Hi Rip (no pun intended)

The BOT only works with the BDP-2 and it is a CD Player (using the BDP-2 as the playback device) or a CD Ripper (rips to the BDP-2).

james